Opposition Views- Preston

James

What are your expectations for the remainder of the season for both Preston North End and Chelsea FC?

After a great start, Preston are now falling away and relegation could be a possibility, but when you look at the table we could still just sneak into the play-offs. The way we played against Newcastle (although it was a long time ago) gave me a lot of confidence in our home form, which will be important with big home games coming up which will define whether we challenge for promotion, or fight for survival in a relegation battle.

As for Chelsea; the way they took Sunderland apart on Saturday easily without Drogba, Essien and so on sent a statement to all other title contenders showing that they can win the title without African players. I truly believe they would have beaten any side in the world on Saturday. The only fault I have seen with Chelsea is they are slightly weak at the back. I fully expect Chelsea to win the Premiership by a long way, and I think they will go close in the champions league.

Which Preston players should we look out for?

As for Preston players to look out for – Ross Wallace; he is an ex-Sunderland and Celtic player who plays on the left wing. Preston will look to him to provide good crosses and take the game to Chelsea, who, in my opinion are vulnerable at right back. He has a good turn of pace and a great left foot. He will take most free kicks and if he gets his radar on he could cause Chelsea problems as they have been vulnerable to goals from set pieces this year. He is Preston’s second top scorer in the league with 5 goals. Another couple of useful players are Sean St Ledger, the Republic of Ireland centre- back, who has just returned from a loan spell at Middlesbrough. He will look to take control of the defence. He is linked with several Premiership clubs. Also Jon Parkin scored a hat-trick in the 7-0 thrashing of Colchester in the 3rd Round, and should be full of confidence.

Do you have any memories of playing Chelsea in the past?

I have never seen or heard of a Preston v Chelsea match recently but I believe they played in the FA Cup in sometime between 1960-69. (Correct – the last time Chelsea played Preston was in 1969 in a 4th Round replay in the FA Cup; Chelsea won 2-1 at Stamford Bridge after the original tie at Deepdale was drawn 0-0 – Alex).

Your opinion of Chelsea FC?

I rate Chelsea very highly and you have to appreciate there record in the last 5/6 years because it is incredible. As I have previously stated, I believe Chelsea are a great side and the only fault I have found in them are their defensive weakness. I respect them and their fans very highly.

Your Favourite Chelsea Player?

Frank Lampard – it is a close one but Lampard’s performances and record in the last decade is amazing. It is also great to see a English player doing well and I hope he guides England to World Cup glory this summer. I also rate Ashley Cole and John Terry very highly and believe Cole is the best left back in the world, who sadly for us is in great form at the moment.

Your prediction for the game?

My prediction for the game might be a bit optimistic and biased, but I am going to go for a 1-1 draw with goals from Ross Wallace and Frank Lampard. I think you will then beat us 3-0 in the replay at Stamford Bridge!

We’d like to say thanks to Brad for takin the time out to answer our questions.

No related posts.

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic