should a second yellow card result in a send-off (red)?

robsblubot

I've been wondering about this for a while now; I just think too many games are ruined by referee's *very subjective* decision of giving a second yellow card to a player. Often the tackles aren't any different from whatever has been happening many times over during the match, but for whatever reason that particular one triggers something in the ref's mind and he decides to ruin the match.

I honestly think a straight red is far less subjective, especially now with VAR.

What if the player who receives a second yellow is out of the match, but could be subbed? Ice hockey style! (I'm originally from Brazil and no, it's not inspired by ice hockey). Say he gets a suspension as usual, or even more severe if found to be deserving, but the team isn't punished as harshly.

The drawbacks would be:

1. Managers would start "saving" a sub in case of a second yellow;
  2. it may drive more suspensions - take one for the team kinda thing (more "professional"/tactical fouls)
  3. Would likely increase the size of rosters in football, due to #2

Controversial, I know, but was curious about what people think about it.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic