View From the Opposition - WBA fan

Hello again, I'm back for this seasons edition.

As usual, if you could fill out the questions beneath it would be much appreciated. I'll put the replies into an article which shall be posted in this topic later on in the week.

Apologies to the forum administrators if this has broken any rules.

1. What are you expecting from Chelsea? Will you win the league?

2. What do you expect from WBA this season?

3. Jose Mourinhio rejoined Chelsea in the summer. What have you made of his second stint so far at the Bridge?

4. His former assistant, Steve Clarke is currently at Albion. What did you make of his first season in management?

5. You signed Izzy Brown from us in the summer. Have you seen him? How is his progression coming along?

6. What did you make of your clubs summer recruitment?

7. What did you make of our summer recruitment? The additions of Anelka, Lugano, Sessegnon, Vydra, Anichebe, Amalfitano etc.

8. What are your best/worst memories of games against West Bromwich Albion?

9. What side is JM likely to choose for Saturday's encounter?

10. And finally, score predictions.

Thank you very much.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning the league is possible for us, unsure though because if we put out shit performances like against Newcastle then we will drop more points. I'd like to say we could win the league but City look the best team by a mile, they will beat the bigger teams like Arsenal and United too I feel especially since Pellegrini is very very tactically astute. I think we only did so well because our set up was perfect because Jose outdone him tactically and we got a gift from that clown Joe Hart.

I'd think Clarkey will be wanting a mid table finish, aiming for as high as possible but still last season was probably a one off. I think if Nico starts getting in among the goals and Sessegnon does too then you will definitely finish somewhere between 9th and 14th which is a respectable finish for you guys. Could yous go higher? Hmm depends if players like Nico Anelka, Shane Long, James Morrison, Sessegnon and Vydra (when hes fit) score a lot of goals

3. Jose Mourinho rejoined Chelsea in the summer. What have you made of his second stint so far at the Bridge?

Average so far. Not played any scintillating football but we've ultimately played winning football, somewhat disgusting at times but it does the trick. He has got more out of certain players like JT, Oscar, Torres and Ivanovic too so hopefully he can keep getting more and more from them. As he said he feels his teams best in his second season, so if he doesn't win the league I won't blame him as he has that many players to find his prefered eleven.

4. His former assistant, Steve Clarke is currently at Albion. What did you make of his first season in management?

First season was superb for Steve Clarke. Saying anything less than that would be not giving credit where credit was due. He set the bar ridiculously high, I don't think he'll get that again at WBA. He done extremely well with some of the players individually, especially Romelu Lukaku who he helped a whole lot, also the likes of James Morrison seemed to come up to another level last season.

5. You signed Izzy Brown from us in the summer. Have you seen him? How is his progression coming along?

Not seem too much of him but I've heard hes very talented. Seen he's scored goals for our u21s and the England u19s (think thats his age group) but perhaps getting first team football under Steve Clarke would perhaps have been better. Still hes one for the future, not going to judge him much as hes got time on his side.

It was pretty good, not going to really complain except for the lack of a striker perhaps since Jose isn't keen on Ba and Torres as well as he'd done in the last few games still doesn't cut it 38 games a season. Willian was really a surprise, that money could have been invested on a central midfielder which we desperately need still but hey having 6 options in attacking midfield that are all very good, why the hell not? Also we recalled the likes of Tomas Kalas and Kevin de Bruyne back from loan spells after good progress was made and signed Marco van Ginkel for 11 million who looked good in pre-season and decent in some games he played before he picked up that ACL injury. Lukaku could have stayed but I think footballing wise, he still has learning to do so a loan was probably a good idea. Eto'o on a free was also decent business as he has a wealth of experience at many top clubs, know Jose well and does what our system requires of him; runs the channels, drops deep, makes good runs of the ball etc. Hes got the one goal so far but he is going to score more this season, anything over 10 or 15 goals and his signing is a good free transfer in my eyes.

7. What did you make of our summer recruitment? The additions of Anelka, Lugano, Sessegnon, Vydra, Anichebe, Amalfitano etc.

It was a good window for yous after rumblings that nobody else was going to be coming in after Anelka and Lugano. Anelka has got to start scoring chances but hes a very experienced player with class and ability. Sessegnon is also a big coupe (with undoubted ability I am very surprised Sunderland let him go), as is Amalfitano who has looked great so far. Anichebe is a handful at times but doesn't do it often enough for me and Vydra is new to the PL but he was excellent in the championship and could surprise a lot of people. Lugano brings a whole lot of experience to quite a good defense already so in general another good window for you guys.

Worst memories, Gareth McAuley scoring that goal that got AVB sacked in March 2012. Also Di Matteo basically getting sacked after yous beat us 2-1. Best memories, we beat yous 6-0 after yous got promoted a few years ago, we played very well then under Carlo, Drogba scored a hattrick.

I can't exactly be sure about after the Newcastle game and with the Schalke game coming up I'm expecting a few different faces to start haha. I'll guess he'll go with Cech - Ivanovic Cahill Terry Bertrand - Mikel Ramires - Schurrle Willian Mata - Eto'o but only if he uses Oscar, Torres, Cole, Hazard and Lampard in midweek.

I want to say 3-1 Chelsea but it could be 2-1 to you guys, depending on what Chelsea shows up. Especially after the last few times we've played yous, not done too well.

I expect we'll be challenging for the title till the end. Still too early to pick favorites now, but it definitely won't be a 15-20 points gap between us and first place like the past couple of seasons.

A comfortable mid-table finish. I think it will be difficult to replicate the success of last season, but I think you'll be well away from relegation danger. You can definitely beat anyone on your day.

3. Jose Mourinhio rejoined Chelsea in the summer. What have you made of his second stint so far at the Bridge?

Still early days, but it's going well. It was always going to be difficult because it is almost impossible for him to live up to the expectations due to his return because people and the media expect him to walk in and win everything with a team that has been away from competing on the title for a couple of seasons now. But his presence at the club alone is worth having him back. He is someone that just lifts everyone's spirit and enlists a winning mentality just by talking to players. He's also someone who handles the press very well and always wins the psychological battles. He's trying to build a philosophy at the club and I think it's going well so far.

Brilliant. A great success as I said above. Obviously the pressure now will be ten times more to replicate that success which would very difficult (especially without Romelu). But Steve is already proving to be a great manager. He's the best man to be leading Albion at the moment, imo.

Saw a couple of times this season and he seems to have fit in very quickly and looks exactly what we needed as most of our best young attackers are out on loan (Piazon, Bamford..ect). I saw him last season with WBA as well and I don't think anyone can deny that the boy is both physically and technically excellent. Definitely keeping an eye out on his development.

Very good. I don't think we needed many changes except in terms of squad depth. We have a lot of young promising players and what we need is someone to help them develop. If anything, the only complain I have is that perhaps we made one signing too many in the attacking midfielder department which is causing Jose a few team selection headaches (and has some fanboys in a riot!). We still need a central midfielder, though. Such a shame that Van Ginkel picked up that injury at his age, but we'll need to sign a replacement.

Anelka I was very happy with, but for purely sentimental reasons, but I doubt he can fill Lukaku's boots. Sessegnon is, for me, the best of the bunch. Excellent player who is technically great but can also change a game and create something of nothing. Vydra I watched in the Championship last season. He can be excellent on his fay but lacks consistency. Anichebe is a good squad player, but not more. Lugano is a veteran and was once a great player, but he's a bit past it, may be? I watched in the Confeds and he was far from his solid best (got skinned by Obi Mikel of all people! :D). Amalfitano I know nothing of, tbh.

Best memory is obviously the 6-0 at the bridge, although we've rather struggled against you in recent years. The worst is probably the defeat just before AVB's sacking or the 1-0 defeat under Carlo (Bosingwa OG :doh: )

You guess is as good as mine. I expect little changes to the side that beat Schalke, but you never know with Jose. I can tell you that Cech, JT and Ramires start.

The players will want to compensate for that defeat at Newcastle and take advantage of Arsenal playing united. I'll say 2-0 Chelsea.