Chelsea's Midfield Positioning and Movement Pt I

Barbara

Not many would question that Chelsea's strongest section in the 2012/13 season had been the midfield. But how did Ramires, Lampard, Oscar, Mata and Hazard work the midfield? How did they move? Where did they predominantly play? What made Chelsea's midfield so good and what are the prospects for the new season under José Mourinho's management?

The team has played the preferred formation in football these days: 4-2-3-1. In the formation Lampard and Ramires for most matches were the 2 defensive midfielders whereas Oscar, Mata and Hazard were the 3 playing more advanced. Although that's the premise in most matches these players have been used in different positions, for example, Ramires playing as right winger in a few matches.

In the pictures below the blue/green areas correspond to movement, where the player positioned himself when he didn't have the ball. The yellow is there they ‘touched’ the ball – intercepting, tacking or promptly passing it - and the red is where they held possession and carried the play. The images were provided by Mauro Cézar Pereira's twitter using a tool developed by ESPN and correspond to the whole season.

Let's take a look at what happened and what are the strengths and weaknesses of such a talented midfield.

As aforementioned, Ramires for times played as a right winger, but mainly he's been a box to box midfielder as the graphic shows. If we merge his graphic with Lampard's we'll see they filled the pitch's center zone, stepping a little bit to the left (Lampard) and to the right (Ramires), but never really dropping to the flanks - that were populated by the three attacking midfielders mostly.

Ramires (first in the '2')

<!--url{0}-->

Ramires is a very fast player that has been important in (re)covering the defense when attack or midfield lost the ball to the opponent offering counter-attack chances. An incredible hard worker, he's finished many matches as the player who covered the most distance on Chelsea's side. He's been useful to hold the ball as the large continuous red areas show. That means he constantly carried the ball from the defending to the attacking midfield. His passing isn't great and his finish is hit or miss (mostly miss), but he's been very important to give consistency to the midfield, intercepting the ball, pressuring opponents, slowing down the match - which can be useful when the rival keeps pressuring. And that's where his stats surprise us.

Despite his individual speed, Ramires slows down the match more often than he accelerates it as he carries the ball a lot in the midfield and doesn't add depth to the play and that's one of the things Chelsea lacks. But that doesn't have to be Ramires' job as his main responsibility in the team is defensive being the first player in the formation's '2'. His primary job is protect the full backs and recover possession. As long as he continues to put pressure in the opponent's midfield and attack, tackle and intercept the ball, he'll be useful and Mourinho already showed his appreciation for the Brazilian player. He's solid defensively and he's a needed player in the team although he's often overlooked or underrated because of poor finishing and less than average medium/long distance passing.

Lampard (second in the '2')

BOA4RWCCMAE6WFn.png

The second in the formation’s ‘2’, Lampard's movement and coverage is very similar to Ramires. Going from one box to the other, he also tackles, intercepts and touches the ball quite often in the pitch's mid. The main difference between them, in addition to the side they play, is that Frank approaches the attack more often and objectively than the Brazilian does. The explanation behind it goes beyond him being the second DM, and it's more justified by his passing and finishing skills that are much better than Ramires’.

Looking at his graphic we see there are also many yellow and red areas, and like his partner in the defensive midfield area, he carries a lot the play, being one of the men with more passes and possession in the team.

And here is where the big question comes. The 4-2-3-1 formation calls for a DLP and that role fits better the second DM than it does the first - meaning such player would be more fitting to Lampard's current position. But the International Englishman doesn't add the depth required for the position. It's not often when Lampard tries the long distance pass and that slows down the play even more. Like Ramires he preferably carries the ball, making the job of the opponent’s defense easier opposed to offering unexpected plays and assists.

In a team like Chelsea turning the ball from the left to the side and vice versa isn’t that frequent as the ball normally goes back to the center before moving to the opposite flank, passing through Ramires, Lampard and Mata. Both side backs – Cole and Azpilicueta – don't go forward too often during the match – something very common in European football with few exceptions, and while Hazard and Oscar frequently cover the sides of the pitch, most plays still pass through the center, making the team more predictable.

]That’s where the DLP makes a difference in the formation. Regardless of being fast himself or not, this kind of player adds acceleration to the play, making the transition from defense-midfield-attack swifter, many times skipping the midfield altogether and moving the ball from defense to attack with precision and speed. Lampard clearly isn’t that man and it’s in Mourinho’s hands to decide if he should continue to be the second DM or if he should give space to a DLP. The problem is Chelsea still doesn’t have anyone in the squad that could take that role. Should it be the case to change the formation that seems to be Mourinho's preferred in the last five years? That remains to be uncovered.

Part II will analyze the attacking midfield and the overall conclusion about the past and future in the zone.

Images source: Mauro Cezar Pereira/ESPN BRASIL

Analysis: Bárbara C. S. C. Batista

Click here to view the article

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work Barbara. A few points I'd like to raise, though:

- Lampard was by no means our first choice for the pivot last season. True he got a lot of game time, but in the vast majority of the 'Big' matches he would be on the bench and we would go with Rami-Mikel in the pivot. Indeed, even our biggest performances the past season (Tottenham at the WHL, Arsenal under Robbie, Manu in the FA cup) have come with a pivot of Ramires and Mikel.

- Funnily enough, I honestly think Ramires is the best finisher in our squad, by some distance as well. True he does not have great 'traditional' technical ability when it comes to shooting, but his ability to finish off moves at full pace is unmatched by any midfielder I've ever seen (even his ability to deliver the final pass at full speed). He is criminally underrated in that area, but if I had to choose one of our players to go one-on-one with the keeper, I'd choose Rami.

- About the DLP, although I completely agree with the points you've raised about our predictable attack and slowness to move the ball, I don't think that buying a DLP would solve that. The problem is not with the passer, imo, but rather with the receivers. For example, it'll be hard to find a better long ball passer than Frank, but even he, rarely made successful long balls this season compared to Jose's first stint here for example. The reason for that is not his inability to play long balls but rather our attacking system and player movement or lack of them to be precise. So, we can sign Pirlo himself and play him the pivot and our ball movement speed and tempo won't pick up unless we can get our front 4 moving and running better off the ball and build an attacking system around that.

Great work Barbara. A few points I'd like to raise, though:

- Lampard was by no means our first choice for the pivot last season. True he got a lot of game time, but in the vast majority of the 'Big' matches he would be on the bench and we would go with Rami-Mikel in the pivot. Indeed, even our biggest performances the past season (Tottenham at the WHL, Arsenal under Robbie, Manu in the FA cup) have come with a pivot of Ramires and Mikel.

- Funnily enough, I honestly think Ramires is the best finisher in our squad, by some distance as well. True he does not have great 'traditional' technical ability when it comes to shooting, but his ability to finish off moves at full pace is unmatched by any midfielder I've ever seen (even his ability to deliver the final pass at full speed). He is criminally underrated in that area, but if I had to choose one of our players to go one-on-one with the keeper, I'd choose Rami.

- About the DLP, although I completely agree with the points you've raised about our predictable attack and slowness to move the ball, I don't think that buying a DLP would solve that. The problem is not with the passer, imo, but rather with the receivers. For example, it'll be hard to find a better long ball passer than Frank, but even he, rarely made successful long balls this season compared to Jose's first stint here for example. The reason for that is not his inability to play long balls but rather our attacking system and player movement or lack of them to be precise. So, we can sign Pirlo himself and play him the pivot and our ball movement speed and tempo won't pick up unless we can get our front 4 moving and running better off the ball and build an attacking system around that.

Nour, as I wasn't the one who created the graphics I had to analyze the matches where Lampard played, and when he played I suppose that's the position he played mostly. The graphic sort of shows it, which is why those graphics are so amazing because they show where the players spent most time and where they had the ball most the times. That's why I can't talk about Mikel-Ramires.

I agree about the receiving end of the DLP as well, I'm covering that in the CAM part of the article. It was supposed to be only one article, but it was becoming way too long, hahahahaha.

I think Ramires is really hit or miss with his finishing. When he hits it, it's magnificent, but when he misses is by so much that sometimes it's embarrassing. I still think the second in the "2" is where the DPL fits, it doesn't mean Ramires and/or Lampard has to leave the team, but I think if we have someone playing that role, that's where they should be, with the first in the "2" holding more defensive responsibilities. But overall I think I agree with your points.

When I finish the second part we talk about the receiving end of long passes ;)

Nour, as I wasn't the one who created the graphics I had to analyze the matches where Lampard played, and when he played I suppose that's the position he played mostly. The graphic sort of shows it, which is why those graphics are so amazing because they show where the players spent most time and where they had the ball most the times. That's why I can't talk about Mikel-Ramires.

I agree about the receiving end of the DLP as well, I'm covering that in the CAM part of the article. It was supposed to be only one article, but it was becoming way too long, hahahahaha.

I think Ramires is really hit or miss with his finishing. When he hits it, it's magnificent, but when he misses is by so much that sometimes it's embarrassing. I still think the second in the "2" is where the DPL fits, it doesn't mean Ramires and/or Lampard has to leave the team, but I think if we have someone playing that role, that's where they should be, with the first in the "2" holding more defensive responsibilities. But overall I think I agree with your points.

When I finish the second part we talk about the receiving end of long passes ;)

Oh I thought you could get similar images for any player.

We'll talk more about the movement when you write the second part and I'll attempt to explain to you why I think Rafa did a good job...an alien concept, I know..

Regarding Rami's finishing, I still think he is vastly underrated in that area. First because, no one can produce the finishing that Rami does at the speed that he does it at. It is insanely difficult. Second, because when I say finishing, I mean how he finishes the shots from inside the area not all his shots. I am well aware that his shooting is terrible, especially from outside the area but when I say finishing I mean his ability to finish off a move created by someone else for him after just one or two touches of the ball. Maybe if we can get a stat to see how many shots he's taken from inside the area and what is his conversion rate from there the point would be clear. But even over all, his conversion rate in the PL last season was pretty impressive for a midfielder (14.3) compare that to our strikers Ba who had a conversion rate of 4.35% and Torres who had 11.76% (from whoscored.com).

PS: I am sleep deprived atm, so I realize that the above may not be very coherent. Sorry.

Nice work Barbara! A few points added to the mix, if I may :-)

Our midfield has worried me the entire season actually and I believe it has cost us dearly at times. That is why I think your initial statement is a bit off the mark.

Not many would question that Chelsea's strongest section in the 2012/13 season had been the midfield.

As you say yourself there are issues concerning midfield tempo controlling. For example: the many times Hazard was almost screaming for the ball open and free are numerous, where Oscar, Rami or Mikel simply went for the lateral ball or tried to go forward themsleves. Both Mata and Hazard like the ball to be played much more directly expecially because they are masters of playing in between lines. It makes them dangerous to get the ball in a fast paced direct kinda build-up. We did neglect to do that.

Despite his individual speed, Ramires slows down the match more often than he accelerates it as he carries the ball a lot in the midfield and doesn't add depth to the play and that's one of the things Chelsea lacks.

This - and the inherent slowness of Mikel in build up makes these issues worse - they accentuate our weakness and it results in a less proficient '2' as you put it. By no means do I want to criticize Rami or Mikel but I feel they are square pegs in round holes in the pivot. Also, They take away a lot of the strengths our amigo's have. Too many times Mata and Hazard have had the ball played after their initial movement when already back to a stop. This takes energy and we lose pace. Add Torres that plays hide and seek to the mix .... you can imagine the dilemma. I think it is due to the sheer quality of Mata and Hazard that we managed to still be dangerous. This is reflected highly when one of those two are absent. We are quite 'amputated' then.

I do think we need 'a someone'. A real metronome. Someone that speeds up the game. Who has that attribute naturally. And I think we have it in KDB actually (his speed of execution, technique, crossing are his best attributes). He does it in the Belgian NT with great succes. Every time he has the ball, the play speeds up and Hazard becomes dangerous. I can see him doing the same. This is also why I see his future in the 8 position, alongside a good reliable 6.

To Choulo19: I see our predictable attack and slowness to move the ball nowhere near our maestro trio. With RDM we were so good in the attacking movement. It caused us to lose stability in the pivot and defensive wise though, so Benitez (ugh) made our attacking lines much, much more rigid. Hazard DID struggle with that (think december-january dip) but recovered in the end when he gained a lot more freedom again.

The fact they are slow on the receiving side is surely a consequence rather than the cause. I see the cause almost invariably in the pivot. It is the zone we need to put some serious work in. It is going to be a challenge for Mou.

Nice work Barbara! A few points added to the mix, if I may :-)

Our midfield has worried me the entire season, actually and I believe is has cost us dearly at times. That is why I think your initial statement is a bit off the mark.

As you say yourself there are issues concerning midfield tempo controlling. For example: the many times Hazard was almost screaming for the ball open and free are numerous, where Oscar, Rami or Mikel simply went for the lateral ball or tried to go forward themsleves. Both Mata and Hazard like the ball to be played much more directly expecially because they are masters of playing in between lines. It makes them dangerous to get the ball in a fast paced direct kinda build-up. We did neglect to do that.

This - and the inherent slowness of Mikel in build up makes these issues worse - they accentuate our weakness and it results in a less proficient '2' as you put it. By no means do I want to criticize Rami or Mikel but I feel they are square pegs in round holes in the pivot. Also, They take away a lot of the strengths our amigo's have. Too many times Mata and Hazard have had the ball played after their initial movement when already back to a stop. This takes energy and we lose pace. Add Torres that plays hide and seek to the mix .... you can imagine the dilemma. I think it is due to the sheer quality of Mata and Hazard that we managed to still be dangerous. This is reflected highly when one of those two are absent. We are quite 'amputated' then.

I do think we need a someone. A metronome. Someone that speeds up the game. Who has that attribute naturally. And I think we have it in KDB actually. He does it in the Belgian NT with great succes. Every time he has the ball, the play speeds up and Hazard becomes dangerous. I can see him doing the same. This is also why I see his future in the 8 position, alongside a good reliable 6.

To Choulo19: I see our predictable attack and slowness to move the ball nowhere near our maestro trio. With RDM we were so good in the attacking movement. It caused us to lose stability in the pivot and defensive wise though, so Benitez (ugh) made our attacking lines much, much more rigid. Hazard DID struggle with that (think december-january dip) but recovered in the end when he gained a lot more freedom again.

The fact they are slow on the receiving side is surely a consequence rather than the cause. I see the cause almost invariably in the pivot. It is the zone we need to put some serious work in. It is going to be a challenge for Mou.

Actually the article should be read only when the two parts are up, I guess because I address a lot of those things in the second part.

Here let me paste a part for you

But if the trio has such impressive numbers then why does it feel like their potential wasn’t entirely lived up? A lot of factors actually, but mainly management.

While the team has struggled throughout the season, leaving Champions League in the groups’ stage and never being a contender to the Premiership, tactically the team is still a mystery. There isn’t a pattern and while there’s a formation that has been used mostly by both coaches that were ahead of the team in the season. The team doesn’t have a trademark and its smaller success compared to previous seasons came basically from the offensive trident’s individual talent and accomplishments.

Mazacar have been decisive to assure the team finished third in EPL and winning Europa League, but even they struggled on different occasions – with the exception of Mata that rarely had downs. It was expected for Hazard and even more so Brazilian Oscar to struggle in their first season and while they had much less problems than many predicted, they still oscillated at times – Hazard less than Oscar – and the lack of a defined and success style only contributed negatively for that.

Without analyzing the bad and the good from both di Matteo and Benitez, it’s clear that Chelsea has tactical issues that pass for the lack of key players like a DLP, but mainly about strong definitions of what is expected from the players, especially the midfielders. At many matches it seemed like the team was lost in the pitch and we’ve watched the players trying in every possible way to score and win matches. There had been great quality matches, where there was harmony, effectiveness and things flew naturally, but in many times the team didn’t respond and weaker sides like QPR, Southampton and Swansea troubled the team much more than expected.

The team lacks organization, style and stronger definitions about players’ roles, positions, movements and tactical changes during the matches. The players don’t feel backed up by a pattern and it leads them to be stagnant and perform below their capabilities and abilities. There are deficiencies in certain positions, but even underwhelming players like Torres are affected by the lack of definition and the loose control and input both coaches showed in many matches throughout the season.