Dutch/French leagues over Russian/Portuguese

kobematabryant

If you live in England, especially I am talking about. It may be a different case in other countries. But the Dutch and French leagues always seem to get more exposure. These leagues are shown regularly on BT Sport. They are covered by Sky Sports News and their scores are on every newspaper here. 

Here's the thing, the French league is behind the Portuguese league in terms of UEFA coefficient and may even go behind the Russian League after this season. The league itself is a one man league. Where as the Portuguese league is a three horse battle and teams are competitive in Europe, such as Porto last year. Also, look at the Russian League, there's like 5 teams that could win it this year and 3 Russian teams won their group in Europe, it's a league far ahead of Holland and will most likely overtake France in coefficients.

But my question is, why are these two leagues overlooked lesser able leagues such as Holland or France in the UK?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, kobematabryant said:

But my question is, why are these two leagues overlooked lesser able leagues such as Holland or France in the UK?

Well my interpretation of this is you have to look at worldwide leagues in terms of what they bring in commercial value. The discussion of UEFA coefficients stops at this point.

So while the French league might be behind the Russian league in UEFA's eyes, in the eyes of the sponsors and corporates it's simply not. French football bring the brand of PSG and everything they have with money & players.

Even the Dutch league brings about its own brand because of their rich history of bringing through brilliant footballers and a larger audience. I've never heard anyone complaining they don't see enough Russian and Portuguese football. Until that demand grows, the status quo will remain.