Chelsea's striking predicament

BlueLion.

I understand people want Bamford/Solanke to be given a chance, but let's say next season we go to the Camp Nou in a UCL semi-final second leg... would you trust one of those young boys to get us to the final over a proven scorer like Icardi?

If we use this reasoning i.e (worst case scenario) No youth will ever make it. What's to say Icardi or (insert establish striker here) doesn't get injured or suspended or flop or have terrible game at the camp nou?

Costa and Remy are more than sufficient with bamford as the third choice. how many teams who play with only one striker at a time can boast of such quality depth?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand people want Bamford/Solanke to be given a chance, but let's say next season we go to the Camp Nou in a UCL semi-final second leg... would you trust one of those young boys to get us to the final over a proven scorer like Icardi?

Yes. Patrick is more of a "proven striker" than Icardi who is bang average. I'd take Patrick over him anytime.

Of course there's a chance that would happen. But if we sign someone like Icardi for 10-15M, then we've paid that much money for a player who hasn't played at all either, so that'd be a huge waste of money. Swings and roundabouts.

Also i'd make sure he'd be given those games, but maybe that's just me. I don't see why he couldn't start every League Cup game and some home games against the weak PL and CL teams.

Well yes, that does depend a lot on what the other options are. Is it 10-15m for a worse or similar striker like Icardi or is it a free transfer for an experience striker like the Eto'o deal last season?

On the last point, it's weird when people still talk about "weak PL teams" after the last few seasons. How many PL matches have we won this season by more than 1 goal? By more than 2 goals?

We won't rotate players in the league unless we absolutely have to and that is because in the PL there is a good chance that you'll drop points every single game. Same applies to the CL unless we get a Apoel or Nordsjelland (both of whom we have dropped against in the past, coincidentally).

Patrick Bamford has never played in the PL, which is the only concern I have with him playing for Chelsea next season.

Looking at what Manchester Utd did with various players like Cleverley and Welbeck in the loan market, was quite impressive and the right way to do it in my eyes despite the both of them perhaps not hitting the heights originally expected but both are decent level PL players and have played regularly in the PL for so many seasons now.

Tom Cleverley:

-played for Leicester in League 1 in rsecond half of 08-09 season,

-played for Watford in Championship 09-10 season,

-played for Wigan in the PL full 10-11 season,

-returned to United and played there until 2014 before going on loan to Villa.

Danny Welbeck:

-played for Preston North End in Championship in second half of 09-10 season,

-played for Sunderland in PL 10-11 season,

-returned to United and played there until 2014 before going to Arsenal.

I think Bamford could do with a loan spell in the PL first before returning here to compete if he does well enough, its a safer bet than risking a player who without playing regularly in the PL could struggle despite playing so sporadically (which he will here), also it gives him a safer chance of having a chance to play here if he has another successful season on loan in the PL as opposed to 4 or 5 starts and possibly being off the bench a few times depending on Remy and Costa's fitness.

Yes. Patrick is more of a "proven striker" than Icardi who is bang average. I'd take Patrick over him anytime.

Well yes, that does depend a lot on what the other options are. Is it 10-15m for a worse or similar striker like Icardi or is it a free transfer for an experience striker like the Eto'o deal last season?

On the last point, it's weird when people still talk about "weak PL teams" after the last few seasons. How many PL matches have we won this season by more than 1 goal? By more than 2 goals?

We won't rotate players in the league unless we absolutely have to and that is because in the PL there is a good chance that you'll drop points every single game. Same applies to the CL unless we get a Apoel or Nordsjelland (both of whom we have dropped against in the past, coincidentally).

Icardi, bang average?! He's scored 19 league goals in one of the worst Inter sides there has been since I was born. He's been fantastic for them.

Icardi, bang average?! He's scored 19 league goals in one of the worst Inter sides there has been since I was born. He's been fantastic for them.

Watch him and then decide if you want him here, don't go just by his number of goals.

Watch him and then decide if you want him here, don't go just by his number of goals.

He's a striker, what else should I judge him by?

Unlike Koke, for instance, who has been average at best whenever I've seen him, Icardi always impresses me. A little lazy, yes, but very clever movement and his finishing is generally excellent.