1 striker system vs 2 striker system

iseah100

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Midfield controls the game basically, when Jose first joined Chelsea many teams were still using the classic 4-4-2, while we played in the 4-3-3 formation, it meant we would have an extra man in midfield and we can control the game attacking wise and defensively. The next few years the 4-4-2 formation was rarely used and most if not all switched to the 4-3-3 formation including Sir Alex Ferguson.

Now this season especially in the PL the top teams play two strikers, the main difference is they don't use the classic 4-4-2 formation, take Liverpool for example, Sturridge is the main striker while Suarez is the workhorse who can drift and interchange.

Mourino went more indepth about the 4-3-3 formation years ago -

‘Look, if I have a triangle in midfield – Claude Makelele behind and two others just in front – I will always have an advantage against a pure 4-4-2 where the central midfielders are side by side. That’s because I will always have an extra man. It starts with Makelele, who is between the lines. If nobody comes to him he can see the whole pitch and has time. If he gets closed down it means one of the two other central midfielders is open. If they are closed down and the other team’s wingers come inside to help, it means there is space now for us on the flank, either for our own wingers or for our full-backs. There is nothing a pure 4-4-2 can do to stop things’. - Mourinho

Oh, I see. So the "pure" 4-4-2 would have just the 2 strikers doing little to create and defend, while a 1 striker system could have an extra force to create and defend and draw more attention opening up holes? Does the extra player defend or is he generally a defensive player?

I prefer starting with 1 striker and see where the match is going. If we already kill the game then we just stand with 1 striker. But when things get bad, like losing or having a hard time to penetrate opponent's defend until 60min, 2 striker is a must.