Chelsea's Midfield Positioning and Movement - Part II

Barbara

Barbara did Ramires in her previous article. I think the reason why the ball used to flow better on the right side under Benitez is largely due to Azpi. Like I said in my post above, Banitez tried to implement a triangle involving the CBs, Fullbacks and pivot to get the ball out of defense. Azpi, having more stamina than Cole, made quite a lot of space for himself and got on the ball very often. He was our most influencial player in quite a lot of matches in terms of touches on the ball. There are games where Cesar had over 90 touches! Criminally underrated player..

I agree partially, Azpi is very dynamic but he had also a very dynamic midfield in Ramires towards this zone.

On the left, there was less dynamic players. The reason Mikel was not featured that much was because he lacked this dynamism and why Luiz would be chosen.

And you can add that Mata was often drifting to the right.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone do a Ramires analysis.

The fact the play was often going to the right more smoothly was due to the fact, Ramires offered more passing options to the right back and right midfield while on the left, the left back and left winger had less options.

Under Di Matteo, You could say it was due to the tactics and Hazard but unde Benitez, I think it was more due to the fact we had no midfieler ready to link the play.

It's not exactly a player analysis - as much as this one wasn't, but just in case you couldn't find and want to see Ramires' chart: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/16339-chelseas-midfield-positioning-and-movement-pt-i/?view=getnewpost

I can't for the life of me see anything tactically good coming from Benitez. I think he's a seriously overrated coach. He doesn't know how to set up efficient teams and there were times last season where I literally face palmed. One of those times I hit my head on the wall out of frustration. He subs very poorly.

The best of Eden I've seen remains the first 6 games in EPL last season. Even better than how he finished it, but he has a blackout at some point where he really struggled. Don't remember when exactly, guess after Chelsea got out of UCL, but my memory sucks.

anyway it's expected because he was new in the team and EPL...

Can the new season start already?

It's not exactly a player analysis - as much as this one wasn't, but just in case you couldn't find and want to see Ramires' chart: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/16339-chelseas-midfield-positioning-and-movement-pt-i/?view=getnewpost

I can't for the life of me see anything tactically good coming from Benitez. I think he's a seriously overrated coach. He doesn't know how to set up efficient teams and there were times last season where I literally face palmed. One of those times I hit my head on the wall out of frustration. He subs very poorly.

The best of Eden I've seen remains the first 6 games in EPL last season. Even better than how he finished it, but he has a blackout at some point where he really struggled. Don't remember when exactly, guess after Chelsea got out of UCL, but my memory sucks.

anyway it's expected because he was new in the team and EPL...

Can the new season start already?

I disagree. Eden was much better in the last three months of the season.

He offered more in the build-up, defensively and bossed some games. In the second leg agaisnt Steau, he bossed the game on the left, fouled on the free-kick that resulted in the Terry goal, good movements on the Torres goal, a penalty in the end of the game and toying during this game with the steau players even when there were two three around him.

With Benitez, he improved in attacking the ball, positioning himself better and better timing to attack the defenders.

Even if it was not perfect, there were some patterns, a game plan while with Di Matteo, I didn't see it.

Don't forget that Chelsea have some holes in their squad. Last year the champion's league win was a miracle, like all stars aligning themself for our club. In the premier league, with AVB and Di Matteo, we were defending very very badly on many matches.

I also think the physical work with the players were better with Benitez staff.

Don't forget that we played nearly every three days this season.

Luiz liked working with him.

Eden improved a lot even if you say the opposite.

He's not perfect, the greatest coach the world has even seen but He's a good coach.

I admit that I liked seeing his liverpool team in the champion's league for their defensive and pressing display, it was often quite impressive and not the job a bad coach could do.

I disagree. Eden was much better in the last three months of the season.

He offered more in the build-up, defensively and bossed some games. In the second leg agaisnt Steau, he bossed the game on the left, fouled on the free-kick that resulted in the Terry goal, good movements on the Torres goal, a penalty in the end of the game and toying during this game with the steau players even when there were two three around him.

With Benitez, he improved in attacking the ball, positioning himself better and better timing to attack the defenders.

Eden improved a lot even if you say the opposite.

Exactly. This is what I meant. Eden evolved from having a blast start, to fading away (had to adapt tactically, team was going down, his own form, not being played a lot on the field!) to bossing it at the end of the season. If we were to pul that learning curve through - extrapolate to the future .... just think what he would look like mid next year.

So that is why I think saying he is lazy to learn is a huge hyperbole.

You guys have to understand that was the first time I was seeing Eden ever! I was so excited, I might even ask my Twitter archive just to remember how I tweeted like a crazy girl, completely in love with this perfect Belgian!

So yeah, he probably evolved by the end of the season like you guys say, but for me, those first matches in EPL was love at first sight, the kind of thing you don't forget easily and don't get over with the next thing.

So maybe that makes my impression of that month overrated.

As for Benitez I've mentioned his name in the last few days more than I'm willing in a lifetime, so I'll pass.