The English Football Thread

Steve

Alright lads, it's been a while.

The general feeling amongst the blue half of Merseyside is optimism and excitement at the moment. We appreciated all David Moyes done but things went stale at least two years ago and a change was well and truly needed. After all, it's not like he didn't have any faults.

Martinez is impressing everyone at the moment, whether he can walk the walk will be decided in the not to distant future but he is certainly making the right noises. We 'lost' Neville, Hitzlsperger and Jan Mucha in the summer so the new signings have been an much improvement on last season's squad already. Alcaraz on a free transfer for back up is a good bit of business, Kone scored 11 league goals last season for a relegated team whilst Joel Robles will provide good young back up competition to Howard. Deulofeu seems like a bit of a boy wonder.

We're not really sure if Baines or Fellaini will be leaving. Baines won't leave unless the club wants him to but both seem happy and neither are making much noise about a move, it's just the Daily Mail who seem intent on that. We need one more CM and I'll be happy going into the season, not sure it's coming though. Martinez has made it clear he wants to give youth a good go this year (a refreshing change from Moyes) so Barkley could have a big part to play this season.

Will be on here a bit more now the season is coming to an opening, obviously we might meet each other Pre-season in America but I'm hoping we don't, not a fan of playing premier league teams in pre-season. A Chelsea-Everton final after we beat Juventus and then Real Madrid could be interesting though :yay:

• Replies 65.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Just been informed that my amazing Premier League package consisting of 5 HD channels for only €50 annually has come to an end and from the upcoming season onwards the cunts are expecting me to pay €30 monthly for only two channels with shit coverage and probably only half of the Chelsea matches live due to the other clubs, namely Manchester United and Liverpool, being more popular in this country. Of course unlike the one I used to have this new package also includes some other football leagues which I don't watch regularly as well as other sports like ice hockey but I'm not interested in them and don't wish to pay for something I don't need.

Which brings me to my question: is there some provider that offers a paid online subscription with good Premier League coverage? Doesn't matter if they're geoblocked or anything because I have a global VPN service which can get me through such restrictions but needs to be online only because obviously I can't subscribe to something that needs an address at said country. Was looking at Al Jazeera the other day and their coverage is amazing and the price is only $50 for the whole season but I have my doubts regarding the quality of their services. They have a free-to-air channel available and the quality there was horrible. Having gotten used to proper HD quality I really wouldn't want to pay for something that irritates me everytime I watch a game. They have HD channels there at Al Jazeera too but I can't try any of them because they need the subscription and I wouldn't want to subscribe before knowing the quality of the services they're offering.

Is there anyone with experience of Al Jazeera Sport online or does anyone know some other service providers that I could look at?

Just been informed that my amazing Premier League package consisting of 5 HD channels for only €50 annually has come to an end and from the upcoming season onwards the cunts are expecting me to pay €30 monthly for only two channels with shit coverage and probably only half of the Chelsea matches live due to the other clubs, namely Manchester United and Liverpool, being more popular in this country. Of course unlike the one I used to have this new package also includes some other football leagues which I don't watch regularly as well as other sports like ice hockey but I'm not interested in them and don't wish to pay for something I don't need.

Which brings me to my question: is there some provider that offers a paid online subscription with good Premier League coverage? Doesn't matter if they're geoblocked or anything because I have a global VPN service which can get me through such restrictions but needs to be online only because obviously I can't subscribe to something that needs an address at said country. Was looking at Al Jazeera the other day and their coverage is amazing and the price is only $50 for the whole season but I have my doubts regarding the quality of their services. They have a free-to-air channel available and the quality there was horrible. Having gotten used to proper HD quality I really wouldn't want to pay for something that irritates me everytime I watch a game. They have HD channels there at Al Jazeera too but I can't try any of them because they need the subscription and I wouldn't want to subscribe before knowing the quality of the services they're offering.

Is there anyone with experience of Al Jazeera Sport online or does anyone know some other service providers that I could look at?

I think you are screwed legitimately :(

Investigate 'card sharing' services with a Linux box :) - there's millions of people doing it and you can definitely get some good HD channels streaming :)

I was going to use it in Austria - but as I'm moving back to the UK haven't bothered

He isn't trying out a 3-man defence in pre-season is he?

We've played 3 pre-season matches, only 45 minutes has been 3 at the back though and as Blackburn only played one striker, the third centre back (Heitinga) pretty much came into centre midfield.

I don't think it would work too badly for us. We have quick centre backs anyway and two very attacking full backs.

Since Arsenal last won a trophy, Pep Guardiola retired as a player, became a manager, won 15 trophies, took a year break and now returned.

Since Arsenal last won a trophy, Mourinho have won 5 trophies with Chelsea, 4 with Inter Milan and 2 with Real Madrid.

A lot has happened since Arsenal last won a trophy. I do however get the feeling that they might win the League Cup this year.

Premier League will definitely be there main focus, they don't have time to put effort into otehr competitions.

Spurs are signing players and splashing the cash, could get 80 million for Bale. Liverpool are even signing players, and offering 20 million for some.

United are ahead of them, and us and City are very far ahead of them.

Arsenal haven't signed anyone except a 19 year old french striker.

To be honest, one possible reason why Arsenal have been so quiet in recent transfer markets, including this one, is because they're still paying back a loan that they took out for when they built the Emirates Stadium 7 years ago.

Either that, or Arsene Wenger is a tight French OAP who loves kids.

I agree with Ollie, I hope Arsenal come 5th so that their fans can realise what an atrocious club they are. Most of their fans would actually WANT that to happen to their club so that Wenger can realise why buying players to replace their outgoing is essential for them.

.... not that I would want that to happen of course!

To be honest, one possible reason why Arsenal have been so quiet in recent transfer markets, including this one, is because they're still paying back a loan that they took out for when they built the Emirates Stadium 7 years ago.

Either that, or Arsene Wenger is a tight French OAP who loves kids.

I agree with Ollie, I hope Arsenal come 5th so that their fans can realise what an atrocious club they are. Most of their fans would actually WANT that to happen to their club so that Wenger can realise why buying players to replace their outgoing is essential for them.

.... not that I would want that to happen of course!

I think they've paid off all there loan debts.

They've made a lot of money over the past seasons, and the fans are not satisfied as Wenger is not signing players. However he did bid 40 million for Suarez, so he is willing to spend over 15 million for once. Arsenal really do need to strengthen there squad if they want to be in top 4 next season, they need a right back and left back for starters.

I think they've paid off all there loan debts.

They've made a lot of money over the past seasons, and the fans are not satisfied as Wenger is not signing players. However he did bid 40 million for Suarez, so he is willing to spend over 15 million for once. Arsenal really do need to strengthen there squad if they want to be in top 4 next season, they need a right back and left back for starters.

Gotta say, you're right there!

Sagna is just too much of a liability for them... Gibbs is a good left back, but just isn't world class enough... neither is Monreal in all fairness, but it's the type of player that Wenger ends up getting... players who sound good, but in reality, it's only the bare minimum of what he's willing to go for in the market.

Wenger has no ruthlessness at all, and that's why Arsenal fans are pissed off!

Gotta say, you're right there!

Sagna is just too much of a liability for them... Gibbs is a good left back, but just isn't world class enough... neither is Monreal in all fairness, but it's the type of player that Wenger ends up getting... players who sound good, but in reality, it's only the bare minimum of what he's willing to go for in the market.

Wenger has no ruthlessness at all, and that's why Arsenal fans are pissed off!

Aye, but it's not there ability what's the problem, they are so injury prone it's incredible, Gibbs just can't have a full season, Sagna has been sidelined for 6 months 3 times in the past 3 seasons, that's just unbelievable.

With Spurs getting Soldado aswell, Arsenal fans must really be shitting themselves, Spurs in my opinion have a better side than Arsenal do at the moment.

Aye, but it's not there ability what's the problem, they are so injury prone it's incredible, Gibbs just can't have a full season, Sagna has been sidelined for 6 months 3 times in the past 3 seasons, that's just unbelievable.

With Spurs getting Soldado aswell, Arsenal fans must really be shitting themselves, Spurs in my opinion have a better side than Arsenal do at the moment.

I'm seriously surprised that Wenger has yet to add a top-class player during this transfer window.

As for Spurs, it'll be very interesting to see who AvB brings in to fill the void left by Bale.