The English Football Thread

Steve

20 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Its not just about the position for me. Its the point count. Is 9 points in 6 games a good start for Chelsea? I know that the points are a direct contribution on your position but still, if you said after 6 games we'd only have 9 points prior to the season kicking off I think people would say that's not enough. And that's regardless of who is the manager, the squad and the way the other teams are playing. In fact the way the other teams are playing, it makes it look even worse because we could have set the benchmark (although I did say its not about the position after 6 games as there's a long way to go but even under Villas-Boas, Di Matteo, Mourinho 2nd spell bar the last season, Conte, Sarri we had more points on the board after 6 games) and really put a lot of pressure on those other teams to be chasing us. I mean look at Villa, Leeds, Everton, who have all got worse squads than us and have started well. You say the unpredictable results make it open but they've had good starts and that also throws them in the mix if they maintain it for top half finishes and beyond. 

When you consider who we've played in the PL so far - Brighton, Liverpool, West Brom, Crystal Palace, Southampton and Man United - you could excuse dropping points v Liverpool (especially as we had 10 men) and United at their place (even then I am more inclined to say based on the WBA and Southampton games though, we should have been going there for a win because they aren't the same team they've been for years and years). The likes of West Brom and Southampton though, they were draws but they felt like losses in the manner of how those games went. Never showed up first half v WBA then never showed up second half v Southampton. That's why I think most of us would of expected a bit more us in the second half v United, especially after how the first half went, United were there for the taking I think, they really were but again they had the best chances. I get it a point at Old Trafford and a clean sheet would maybe not the end of the world but this United team aren't remotely even close to the one it was under Ferguson or even as it was under Mourinho for a while before that went to shit, so I can see why people are so frustrated. 

Our team isn't either obviously but if your going to tell me a squad (aware some werent in the 11 or on the bench or subbed on but the quality point is more appropriate than who was there and who wasnt) with Giroud, Havertz, Werner, Ziyech, Pulisic, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Mount etc in it isn't good enough to do more in that second half, it would be incredible. Frank just settled for the point, probably accounting for previous results v United and other games but still, could of done more. 

Remember September with Antonio Conte in his first season? A draw with Swansea, losses to Arsenal and Liverpool left us with 10 points in 6 games and people complained, or were vocal about how we shouldn't have drawn with Swansea as getting those 3 points prior to playing those two big games was paramount - although again the nature of the performance and the "defensive/counter attacking approach" was heavily criticized again. We had 1 point out of 9 points in that month after winning the first 3 games of the season in August.

In reflection this season, we have only won two games, Brighton and Palace. Loss to Liverpool. Draws with Southampton, United and West Brom. The two smaller teams feel closer to a loss than a draw as well in the manner of how those games were draws. 

The points we have right now are directly based on results and these results are the way they are due to the team in general which as we've seen hasn't really looked solid bar the last 2 games (United still had chances so wouldn't say we were extremely solid). Yes if we go on a run from here, it would be good but I still think when we reflect on the end of the season, with how tight the whole top 4-7 positions are going to be 4 or 5 points could be a big difference. 

Yeah though its a hectic season I cant say what Im seeing is good enough, theres no balance since the first 2-3 months of his arrival but I do have hope we will pull through.

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Its not just about the position for me. Its the point count. Is 9 points in 6 games a good start for Chelsea? I know that the points are a direct contribution on your position but still, if you said after 6 games we'd only have 9 points prior to the season kicking off I think people would say that's not enough. And that's regardless of who is the manager, the squad and the way the other teams are playing. In fact the way the other teams are playing, it makes it look even worse because we could have set the benchmark (although I did say its not about the position after 6 games as there's a long way to go but even under Villas-Boas, Di Matteo, Mourinho 2nd spell bar the last season, Conte, Sarri we had more points on the board after 6 games) and really put a lot of pressure on those other teams to be chasing us. I mean look at Villa, Leeds, Everton, who have all got worse squads than us and have started well. You say the unpredictable results make it open but they've had good starts and that also throws them in the mix if they maintain it for top half finishes and beyond. 
When you consider who we've played in the PL so far - Brighton, Liverpool, West Brom, Crystal Palace, Southampton and Man United - you could excuse dropping points v Liverpool (especially as we had 10 men) and United at their place (even then I am more inclined to say based on the WBA and Southampton games though, we should have been going there for a win because they aren't the same team they've been for years and years). The likes of West Brom and Southampton though, they were draws but they felt like losses in the manner of how those games went. Never showed up first half v WBA then never showed up second half v Southampton. That's why I think most of us would of expected a bit more us in the second half v United, especially after how the first half went, United were there for the taking I think, they really were but again they had the best chances. I get it a point at Old Trafford and a clean sheet would maybe not the end of the world but this United team aren't remotely even close to the one it was under Ferguson or even as it was under Mourinho for a while before that went to shit, so I can see why people are so frustrated. 
Our team isn't either obviously but if your going to tell me a squad (aware some werent in the 11 or on the bench or subbed on but the quality point is more appropriate than who was there and who wasnt) with Giroud, Havertz, Werner, Ziyech, Pulisic, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Mount etc in it isn't good enough to do more in that second half, it would be incredible. Frank just settled for the point, probably accounting for previous results v United and other games but still, could of done more. 
Remember September with Antonio Conte in his first season? A draw with Swansea, losses to Arsenal and Liverpool left us with 10 points in 6 games and people complained, or were vocal about how we shouldn't have drawn with Swansea as getting those 3 points prior to playing those two big games was paramount - although again the nature of the performance and the "defensive/counter attacking approach" was heavily criticized again. We had 1 point out of 9 points in that month after winning the first 3 games of the season in August.
In reflection this season, we have only won two games, Brighton and Palace. Loss to Liverpool. Draws with Southampton, United and West Brom. The two smaller teams feel closer to a loss than a draw as well in the manner of how those games were draws. 
The points we have right now are directly based on results and these results are the way they are due to the team in general which as we've seen hasn't really looked solid bar the last 2 games (United still had chances so wouldn't say we were extremely solid). Yes if we go on a run from here, it would be good but I still think when we reflect on the end of the season, with how tight the whole top 4-7 positions are going to be 4 or 5 points could be a big difference. 
If you said 3 points behind pool? It's all relative. This isn't a normal season so it doesn't seem right to compare it as if it is. There's shock results everywhere.

Plus add in the fact that we had a brand new team with no preseason we were always gonna start slow. It's just great that every other team is having the same issues if not worse.

Spurs also have shot for title. 

Liverpool without VVD is completely different team and we have no excuses to finish behind them. Unless they bring big name in January. 

Dias is out of his depth in the PL so City is not better either. Last season they won 81 points and I can't see them doing better this season. 

I'm certain 80-85 will get you title this season. 

We need winning run now. 

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

All set up nicely for Burnley to get their first win of the season this weekend...

Fucking hell...seen this happen too many times over the years.

Underperforming shite side suddenly gets their tails up and in cup final mode when we come to visit.

Hoping for something anticlimactic, and we instead tear Burnley a new one.

Dont want to listen to another press conference about a Sean Dyche masterclass.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

All set up nicely for Burnley to get their first win of the season this weekend...

if we lose to Burnley the pressure on Lamps is going to be insane

they are fucking dreadful

only worse team in the EPL is Fulham 

maybe West Brom

those 3 are utter shite

5 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Fucking hell...seen this happen too many times over the years.

Underperforming shite side suddenly gets their tails up and in cup final mode when we come to visit.

Hoping for something anticlimactic, and we instead tear Burnley a new one.

Dont want to listen to another press conference about a Sean Dyche masterclass.

Might be worth putting a bet on a Burnley win...

16 minutes ago, Vesper said:

if we lose to Burnley the pressure on Lamps is going to be insane

they are fucking dreadful

only worse team in the EPL is Fulham 

maybe West Brom

those 3 are utter shite

And we were so fantastic against West Brom...

No reason why we should mess up but who knows..

7 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

And we were so fantastic against West Brom...

No reason why we should mess up but who knows..

Halloween, Burnley, away at that rathole of a stadium, argggggg

deffo some bad omens there

they have down us hard before too

last 9 games those rotters have won 1 (that 2017 hot mess) and  drawn 3 more

and we almost blew that 2018 1 2 away win (that was the game Moses scored to put us up 1 2 with 21 minutes left, and they almost scored 3 times (I think it was 3) after that)

semi bogey team, I fucking hate them, so so so goonball

3076eeb592ceb9ef6819867d04960fc7.png

f58ce6023ca49fb28e7d7fee50580f93.png