The English Football Thread

Steve

6 minutes ago, Pizy said:

There were a lot of comparisons stylistically between Vardy and Timo Werner. But what makes Vardy so effective and why Timo will find it harder is that teams don't park the bus against Leicester whilst they do against Chelsea. Vardy is able to exploit acres of space to run into and get the ball in the exact situations he loves all the time. 

Only the big teams will allow us space and as we saw with Liverpool that was Timo's most effective game so far. As we saw against WB yesterday, he's less effective when teams park the double decker. Was still unlucky not to score twice, though.

True but at the same time, we don't pass the ball direct enough. We don't have anyone who is capable of playing those long balls over the top for example. We just keep on pass, pass, pass like 1000 times before the ball gets to the front players. I don't expect us to build the team fully around Werner like Leicester do with Vardy but there are elements of their game which we can replicate to get the best out of Werner and even Pulisic, CHO etc.

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

1 minute ago, Jason said:

True but at the same time, we don't pass the ball direct enough. We don't have anyone who is capable of playing those long balls over the top for example. We just keep on pass, pass, pass like 1000 times before the ball gets to the front players. I don't expect us to build the team fully around Werner like Leicester do with Vardy but there are elements of their game which we can replicate to get the best out of Werner and even Pulisic, CHO etc.

Yeah I miss the directness we once had, we even had it under FL in the beginning then it went backwards.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I mean, we do have one of the best in Europe at those balls. Sadly, he hasn't been fit yet. Ziyech will be a godsend to Timo. Havertz is excellent at those balls, too.

But wow, not often you see City get battered like this. Pep must be going nuclear.

Just now, Pizy said:

Pep must be going nuclear.

Hubris will do you in

wayyyyyyy back, last summer, 2019

I posted his 'we do not need anyone at the back 4' quote and predicted doom

I even said, if Laporte goes down, they are well and truly fucked and he went down soon thereafter

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

I mean, we do have one of the best in Europe at those balls. Sadly, he hasn't been fit yet. Ziyech will be a godsend to Timo. Havertz is excellent at those balls, too.

But Ziyech is someone who plays further forward. We don't have a Fabregas-type midfielder in midfield or even someone with that ability in defence. Maybe Silva can fill that role, I don't know but overall, we have a bunch of useless passers in defence and midfield.