The English Football Thread

Steve

Martinelli looks a real talent. Arsenal with a bit more fitness, intensity and a few good players look like they could be a good side under Arteta. They started poor 1st half but seen enough of then with Arteta to think with more fitness and intensity they could be a good side.

Cant believe someone like Emery who has been an established coach and has a relatively successful career couldnt get a performance out of some of these guys.

• Replies 65.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

The transfers he wants? I'm sure he was gagging to sign Wiljnaldium when Kante and Pogba were avalible. I'm sure he wanted to stick with Karius and Mignolet for two years.

They only "back him" when he has money for sales, he was denied the defender and keeper he needed for years until he got the money in a sale, was given no money last summer and now is made to sign a cheap winger while his rivals are looking at Sancho.

The Liverpool board are nothing special and we saw that in all its glory under Kenny and Brendan, they lucked out on a manager that could even make Mike Ashley look good.

That is very true.

Its not as if Alisson or van Dijk were virtually unknown when they signed both either.

A lot of PL teams had been following van Dijk from his time in Scotland and then when he improved again, us, City, United and Liverpool went after him. I still remember Conte pleaing with the other top 6 clubs to not allow City to sign him. And many people said Christensen was better too...... which looking back on it now, is laughable. 

Again Alisson was linked with us and Liverpool among others only when he had established himself at Roma. Youd think they signed him from Brazil the way their board are talked about.

The real gems and severely underrated signings theyve gotten in this last however many years were Mane, Joe Gomez (Rodgers signed), Robertson, Matip (free)... but even with them they werent good enough to win titles. Which the media forget.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Cant believe someone like Emery who has been an established coach and has a relatively successful career couldnt get a performance out of some of these guys.

When I look at coaches in the present day like Emery, Jose and to an extent Ancelotti it makes me laugh how people want someone with a "proven track record" above anything else.

I would say upcoming managers like Lampard and Arteta are much more suited to big jobs these days than they are.

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

When I look at coaches in the present day like Emery, Jose and too an extent Ancelotti it makes me laugh how people want someone with a "proven track record" above anything else.

I would say upcoming managers like Lampard and Arteta are much more suited to big jobs these days than they are.

Perhaps but I did expect Emery to do well in the PL. Maybe not win trophies but he seemed suited to change Arsenal more than what I felt Artera could do to change Arsenal.

Hes almost the opposite of what youd expect an Arsenal coach to be after Wenger but as weve seen with United perhaps going for someone similar in his ideas and philosophy might have eased the transition.

Emerys teams were usually a bit more disciplined, play with a higher intensity and adaptable. PSG was different to that as they had aspirations to be a CL winning team but at Valencia and Seville under him they were very much intense, discplined and very adaptable. 

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Emerys teams were usually a bit more disciplined, play with a higher intensity and adaptable. PSG was different to that as they had aspirations to be a CL winning team but at Valencia and Seville under him they were very much intense, discplined and very adaptable. 

He's probably more suited to managing the B-tier clubs - the Valencias, Sevillas, Evertons, Atalantas of this world - than the A-tier/elite clubs. 

I found it hilarious how SKY and Talksport yesterday kept salivating over Arteta and this 'new era' and how they are back being Arsenal again after only a few games.

They got fucking pummeled in that first half yesterday and weren't actually that much better in the second half.

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

I found it hilarious how SKY and Talksport yesterday kept salivating over Arteta and this 'new era' and how they are back being Arsenal again after only a few games.

They got fucking pummeled in that first half yesterday and weren't actually that much better in the second half.

new era or not, we beat that lot at their own place, let those morons at SKY salivate all they want. Arteta is riding his luck for now, we'll see.

1 minute ago, Fulham Broadway said:

The sum of what Fred brings is miniscule to the sum of what he fucks up. So glad Utd stick with him.

He is in essence no better than Baka, City doged a bullet there as they were after him too if im not wrong.

Just now, Atomiswave said:

He is in essence no better than Baka, City doged a bullet there as they were after him too if im not wrong.

Not all Brazillians with one name are what they appear :P