The English Football Thread

Steve

17 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

You definitely have a chip on your shoulder over Messi based on your comments to support your argument. 

1. You listed off three players who are arguably the best in the world in their positions. One of which will go down as one of the greatest of all time. You conveniently didn't list off those 'mediocre players' who scored for fun in a defensively poor Spanish league. Who are these mediocre players that match Messi's output then? Why did you ignore the fact Messi has more goals against the Top 6 than any player in the Premier League, even though he doesn't play in the Premier League?

2. Sterling's numbers are quite literally insane under Pep with City. You are kidding yourself if you think Messi playing with City and their free flowing football, won't produce greater numbers vs being the only influence in Valverde's dull Barca side. 

3. Entitled to your opinion. A very flawed and contradictory one, but your opinion nonetheless. (Gerard Pique > Paolo Maldini) 

you are making a fundamental mistake in saying that I would take a player in a POSITION and not say they were the best THERE all time because they did not win a WC

I never said that

I did say if we are talking about the best OVERALL player of all time, then you have to take WC in to account as the best player in any sport needs to have have won the biggest trophy possible in that sport

big difference

Messi has failed completely at international level in winning a single trophy, Maradona led a SHIT overall Argie team to the WC trophy

the best CB of all time, btw, IMHO, DOES have a WC AND a European Championship, plus back to back to back CL's (European Cup then) and back to back to back league titles

Franz Beckenbauer

• Replies 65.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

2 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I should have mentioned against the rest. Liverpool are a class above IMO.

I wouldn't say anything is a given tbh. Watford might bounce back after recent developments as well

Though if they hadn't given away a penalty last minute they'd gotten something from that Liverpool game. 

Surprised in a way how far up they are but in another not and good on them! 

you are making a fundamental mistake in saying that I would take a player in a POSITION and not say they were the best THERE all time because they did not win a WC
I never said that
I did say if we are talking about the best OVERALL player of all time, then you have to take WC in to account as the best player in any sport needs to have have won the biggest trophy possible in that sport
big difference

Messi has failed completely at international level in winning a single trophy, Maradona led a SHIT overall Argie team to the WC trophy

the best CB of all time, btw, IMHO, DOES have a WC AND a European Championship, plus back to back to back CL's (European Cup then) and back to back to back league titles
Franz Beckenbauer

Beckenbauer would have won zero International and national titles without Hoeneß, Netzer, Rummenigge, Müller, Berti Vogts, Maier, Paul Breitner etc.

For me personally, best Defender of all time is Maldini. Played the best of the best in a modern era of football.
I don't think the comparisons of really old players with modern Football players makes Sense. The quality of Football Today is way better than for example Peles Time. Pele was playing nobodys in Brasilian League. Back then nutritition sucked, tactics sucked, quality of players sucked , athleticism of the players sucked, the developtment of the players sucked etc. . Todays footballers quality is superior than 50 years ago. Let Messi or Ronaldo play 50 years ago and they would get bored instantly. No Competition etc.
Just a unfair comparison. Beckenbauer with the conditions of today would probably be a better Player, but still hard to compare. You just can compare Beckenbauer of old time playing worse Quality of players with players like Madini who played against better oppositions but also with better conditions. So Maldini wins that battle.

Funny Thing is that Beckenbauer himself said that Peps Bayern was better than legendary 1973 Bayern, which also is true because the Quality of todays players is way better his time. He said that all Bayern players could replace the old Generation.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Beckenbauer would have won zero International and national titles without Hoeneß, Netzer, Rummenigge, Müller, Berti Vogts, Maier, Paul Breitner etc.

For me personally, best Defender of all time is Maldini. Played the best of the best in a modern era of football.
I don't think the comparisons of really old players with modern Football players makes Sense. The quality of Football Today is way better than for example Peles Time. Pele was playing nobodys in Brasilian League. Back then nutritition sucked, tactics sucked, quality of players sucked , athleticism of the players sucked, the developtment of the players sucked etc. . Todays footballers quality is superior than 50 years ago. Let Messi or Ronaldo play 50 years ago and they would get bored instantly. No Competition etc.
Just a unfair comparison. Beckenbauer with the conditions of today would probably be a better Player, but still hard to compare. You just can compare Beckenbauer of old time playing worse Quality of players with players like Madini who played against better oppositions but also with better conditions. So Maldini wins that battle.

Funny Thing is that Beckenbauer himself said that Peps Bayern was better than legendary 1973 Bayern, which also is true because the Quality of todays players is way better his time. He said that all Bayern players could replace the old Generation.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

those older era players would have all the advantages of today's technology and advancements in training if they played today

it's a 2 way street

I rate Maldini a top 5 CB of all time, along with Franco Baresi, Alessandro Nesta, (so you see, I do NOT slight Italians, and certainly NOT AC Milan, lol) and Bobby Moore

1 Beckanbauer

2 Maldini

3 Baresi

4 Moore

5 Nesta

honourable mention  Daniel Passarella, Gaetano Scirea, and José Santamaría, 

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has dismissed signing another defender in January

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/12/02/manchester-city-manager-pep-guardiola-has-dismissed-signing/

Pep Guardiola, the Manchester City manager, has dismissed signing another defender in January - and rejected the notion of a major rebuild next summer.

He will instead maintain his faith in Fernandinho at centre back and await the return of Aymeric Laporte after his knee injury during the transfer window.

City have been linked with Leicester City’s Turkey international Caglar Soyuncu as they look to resolve problems in a rearguard shorn of captain Vincent Kompany, following a second successive Premier League title success, and then Laporte in August.

They are now without a clean sheet in seven games - a run deemed “not good enough” by Guardiola - as they head to Burnley on Tuesday, desperate for victory to cut Liverpool’s 11-point lead at the top.

But he said City’s transfer strategy has not changed. “No. Nope. I don’t want any players in January,” said Guardiola.

“If we cannot do it in summer, we cannot do in January. When they come for an incredible opportunity in January for the next four, five, six years, maybe we could think about it, but that is not possible.

“Normally the players we could think it would be interesting to add something for our squad, they are not going to sell it.

“We could not sign a centre-back [in the summer]. Nico [Otamendi] continued and we decided to adapt Fernandinho in this position and that’s all.

“Sometimes the club wants to try to do their best, but we cannot. We have to adapt and adjust with the players that we have and next season we will see.

“We don’t have to rebuild too much. Rebuilding the team is seven or eight players, which we did in the second season when seven finished their contract because 11 players were over 30. Buy two or three players is not rebuild, it’s just substituting positions.”

snip

Pep is fucking nuts

even with a healthy (and I am not at all convinced he will play till late spring) Laporte, they still need a CB
Fernandinho is shit there (and is 35yo in a few months), Otamendi (soon 32) is dire dregs, and Stones is extraordinarily overrated, and Pep seems to have little to no interest in playing Walker at CB (which has the added bonus of allowing Cancelo to start at RB most games)

I do not understand how a team worth around £1.2bn or so in players (real market buy/resale value) overall has been allowed to have such a fixable thing potentially destroy their season, and wilfully choose to do so. I think they were crazy to let Kompany go if they knew they were going to fail to sign a CB last summer.

On 01/12/2019 at 6:50 PM, MoroccanBlue said:

So team based accomplishments have more bearing on an award that specifically honors the best individual performer. 

That makes complete sense.  

Not see who won last year or where Mahrez was placed yesterday?

You'll have your answer :D