The English Football Thread

Steve

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

There is no history of systemic, across the board dehumanising and racial 'pickaninnyism' of whites like there has been for us people of colour for centuries.

Slavery has existed since the beginning of human time, but nothing like the a priori de-humanising, brutal African slave trade as practised by the European powers. It was based eventually off the very stripping away of our humanity, in order to justify the treatment of us like chattel animals. Post slave trade, the powerful images of otherness were used to further the concept of otherness and racial inferiority within the greater white nationalist construct.

That picture enrages me as a person of colour, especially in regards to the myriad number of responses I have seen off this board that have tried to not just minimise and rationalise Silva's actions, but in many cases say there is nothing wrong with it at all, often accompanied by even more grotesque and racist memes and words.

I would understand that if it was maliciously directed at a whole race, but it was aimed at a single individual who, as I understand, is his friend(why would he be if Silva is being a racist prick towards him?) and didn't kick up any fuss over it. I don't see any intent to dehumanize or pickawhatever anybody either. Unless Mendy expresses that it somehow hurt him, then it's a non-story for me. The only thing I blame Bernardo of is that he wasn't smart enough to realize the snowflakey world we live in these days and shouldn't have posted that publicly. If you want to see real racism, then I can dig up some nazi forum links from dark web for you.

6 game ban for something that the supposed victim didn't even complain about is far over the top and is probably being done only for PR purposes (hey look! we're combating savage racism!)

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

1 hour ago, manpe said:

I would understand that if it was maliciously directed at a whole race, but it was aimed at a single individual who, as I understand, is his friend(why would he be if Silva is being a racist prick towards him?) and didn't kick up any fuss over it. I don't see any intent to dehumanize or pickawhatever anybody either. Unless Mendy expresses that it somehow hurt him, then it's a non-story for me. The only thing I blame Bernardo of is that he wasn't smart enough to realize the snowflakey world we live in these days and shouldn't have posted that publicly. If you want to see real racism, then I can dig up some nazi forum links from dark web for you.

6 game ban for something that the supposed victim didn't even complain about is far over the top and is probably being done only for PR purposes (hey look! we're combating savage racism!)

it is racist and massively offensive, he was a fool for putting it up on social media, I do not care if they are mates and Mendy has such little self-esteem he accepts it (if he indeed does, as to that I do not know)

I am not going to argue this point any further, you know my thoughts on the subject

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

There is no history of systemic, across the board dehumanising and racial 'pickaninnyism' of whites like there has been for us people of colour for centuries.

Slavery has existed since the beginning of human time, but nothing like the a priori de-humanising, brutal African slave trade as practised by the European powers. It was based eventually off the very stripping away of our humanity, in order to justify the treatment of us like chattel animals. Post slave trade, the powerful images of otherness were used to further the concept of otherness and racial inferiority within the greater white nationalist construct.

That picture enrages me as a person of colour, especially in regards to the myriad number of responses I have seen off this board that have tried to not just minimise and rationalise Silva's actions, but in many cases say there is nothing wrong with it at all, often accompanied by even more grotesque and racist memes and words.

Where are you from Vesper if I may ask? I thought you were a blond from sweden lol.

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

I am also a person of color, Not black though, but still am a person of color.  I also know what racism is and I also had incidents of racism happen to me. But I don´t see the outrage of this picture though because Silva and Mendy are best friends and Silva meant it as a joke. He was stupid to post something like that in public because we live in a society where humour does not exist anymore, even though that post was not funny to me. When you watch their Instagram videos, Silva also made other jokes that are very similar to this. In my circle of friends, we also make those kind of jokes because we mean it as a joke, not to insult one others ethniticity. We all are friends and know that we mean it as jokes. It would be a different case if a member of KKK would have posted that.

I remember a show called "Chapelles Show" where Dave made all kinds of racist, homophobic jokes and it was hilarious. He as a black man made fun of all races. No scandal back then. Nowadays, everyone takes anything too serious. But everyone has their own sensitivity when it comes to this topics.

54 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Where are you from Vesper if I may ask? I thought you were a blond from sweden lol.

I am from London (born there), but live in Stockholm for several years now with my  wife, who is a Swede (yes a blonde, lol) also born and raised in London, I am half Swedish (blonde father) and half Bajan

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

I am from London (born there), but live in Stockholm for several years now with my  wife, who is a Swede (yes a blonde, lol) also born and raised in London, I am half Swedish (blonde father) and half Bajan

Damn....you got me there Vesper. Good stuff......good luck to both of your.