• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Villans:Roberto Di Matteo and Steve Clarke to lead Aston Villa back into the Premier League

The appointments of Roberto Di Matteo as manager and Steve Clarke as his assistant are expected to be made officially official tomorrow (Friday) by Aston Villa and their new (pending league approval) owner from China.  This one will most certainly feel better than the last ex-Chelsea boss to be announced as the new manager somewhere else.Di Matteo had been out of a job for almost exactly a year, after resigning from his Schalke 04 post at the end of last season.  Former Chelsea teammate Steve Clarke was on the market for half that time, after getting the boot at Reading in his second managerial appointment.  He had a been a very successful assistant to several managers at Chelsea, as well as to Gianfranco Zola at West Ham United (and to Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool, but we don't have to talk about that).

Incidentally, Di Matteo's successor at Chelsea is also set to manage in the Championship next season after staying on with relegated Newcastle United.  So this means that the last two managers to win a European trophy for Chelsea will both be vying for Premier League promotion! According to the BBC, RDM's two-year contract has a fairly sizable £2m bonus for gaining promotion.  Best of luck to him and to Clarkey.  Maybe we can help them out with a strategic loan or two?

weaintgotnohistory

cfc.jpg

FANSIDED-Can Roberto di Matteo fix his reputation with Aston Villa?

After a three-year hiatus, Roberto di Matteo will once again manage an English football club. Di Matteo is set to accept a two-year contract with Aston Villa, who will be playing second-tier football for the first time in 29 years.The former Chelsea midfielder started his coaching career in League One with MK Dons in 2008. The following year he took the helm at West Bromwich Albion. His new employers at Aston Villa will be expecting di Matteo to repeat his accomplishment at West Brom.Di Matteo was appointed at West Bromwich Albion one month after the Baggies were relegated, and under the Italian’s charge their stay in the Championship lasted only one season.That is where both parties will want the similarities to end, as West Brom sacked di Matteo midway through his first Premier League coaching season. Aston Villa is reportedly offering di Matteo a £2 million bonus for managing the club’s return to the Premier League.The most obvious obstacle facing the Italian is the absolute shambles of a club that is Aston Villa. While Chelsea had the worst title defense in Premier League history, Villa were only six points shy of the lowest points total in the league’s history (Derby County (2007/08). Villa scored the same number of goals as the number of games they lost (27). Out of respect for fans and reality, the club even cancelled the end-of-season Player of the Year awards.Villa have been playing in the Premier League on borrowed time, having not finished above 15th since 2011. The Villains have had little to cheer for in that time with the exception of making it to the finals of the 2015 FA Cup and the individual performance of Christian Benteke.Di Matteo’s other challenge will be his susceptibility to sophomore slumps. He achieved his primary mission at West Bromwich Albion – returning the club to the Premier League – and barely lasted six months of his second season.He started with Chelsea as an assistant manager under Andre Villas-Boas, and ascended to caretaker manager upon Chelsea sacking Villas-Boas mid-season. In that role di Matteo led Chelsea to its only Champions League title, and added a FA Cup for good measure.

The club rewarded di Matteo with a two-year contract the following summer. Three months into the season, a 3-0 loss to Juventus all but ended Chelsea’s Champions League title defense and led the club to bring the axe down on Roberto di Matteo’s tenure.In an ironic twist, di Matteo ended up collecting the full value of his contract. The club, clearly not expecting to sack the man who brought them their greatest glory (on top of his six years as a player), did not include an early-termination clause in his contract. As a result, Chelsea continued to pay di Matteo £130,000 per week through June 2014.Di Matteo’s most recent managerial job was in the Bundesliga with FC Schalke. He took the reins in October with the club in 11th place and in the group stages of the Champions League. The club did not secure another year of Champions League football, instead qualifying for the Europa League with a sixth-place finish in the Bundesliga. Di Matteo resigned shortly thereafter, citing differences between his and upper management’s vision for the club.The Italian’s managerial history is marked by a pattern of early success followed by mediocre results and then a premature departure. As a well-spirited, highly motivational player-turned-coach di Matteo can extract instant performance improvements from his athletes without making any significant shifts in tactics or lineup.Unfortunately for di Matteo, his rapid success carries with it expectations that he cannot deliver upon in his second year. Prolonged success requires prolonged investment. Di Matteo has yet to find an owner who accepts disparities between short-term results and the necessary conditions for long-term success.With Aston Villa, di Matteo is entering a situation that has unnerving parallels to his experience at West Bromwich Albion. Perhaps his best hope for a long-term stay is Aston Villa’s low likelihood of returning to the Premier League after one season in the Championship.The club needs a long-term commitment to spending during the transfer windows, overhauling the development pipeline, developing true cohesion among the players and building stability in the front office. A full-on rebuilding project may be the perfect antidote to Roberto di Matteo’s one-and-done track record.Di Matteo was the top choice of Villa’s incoming owner, so he will have the support of his bosses to create the necessary changes. Few coaches could turn around Aston Villa into an immediate contender for the promotion. Even if they did, it would be a hollow accomplishment, one that would continue to neglect the foundations that the club have lacked for the last few years.Aston Villa present Roberto di Matteo the opportunity to show what he can do as a long-term manager, rather than as a for-hire turnaround artist.

He has little risk of raising expectations too high in his first season at Aston Villa. This may be the best thing to ensure that he has a long future to implement his vision and style of play at a club, and that he will enjoy an extended run upon returning Aston Villa to the Premier League.

The Pride Of London

Capture.PNG

1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

Zlatan says he's going to drop a bombshell on Tuesday.

How funny would it be if the bombshell ends up being that he's coming to Chelsea instead of the obvious destination in United.

It is gonna be United ... 

But yes, if anywhere other than United ... there would be a freaking meltdown. I would love to see him at Chelsea (though i know it is not happening) because he and Costa up front would mean that defenders r going to fly past ... Like Asterix & Obliex going past the Roman troops :P ... 

I know ... I know ... Wishful thinking :halo:

Well Ibra is one of the best players no doubt but I think this was his last 'very good' season,I can't see him scoring next season that much  with 34 y/o on his back,we should look for someone younger.

AVFC-Club statement: Roberto Di Matteo named as new Villa manager

Aston Villa Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Roberto Di Matteo as our new manager.The 46-year-old joins the Club following previous spells as manager of Milton Keynes Dons, West Bromwich Albion, Chelsea and Bundesliga side Schalke 04.He successfully guided West Bromwich Albion to promotion to the Premier League in 2010 and led Chelsea to an FA Cup Final triumph and the highest accolade in club football - the Champions League title in 2012.

Roberto said: "It's a wonderful honour for me to become manager of this great football club and I'm looking forward to the challenge of taking Aston Villa back to its rightful place."

avfc.co.uk

couly.JPG

21 hours ago, KevinAshburner said:

how would you guys react if I told you where Chelsea will finish for the next 3 seasons.

Many years ago, visiting Toronto, I did a card trick for some relatives. It's a good trick, but only a trick all the same. One uncle in particular, who is into the mystical, was captivated and persuaded me to attempt it again but this time under scientific conditions, i.e. with no opportunity for me to 'cheat'. I knew I had no chance of getting it right so was busy concocting my excuse, but guess what? You've guessed already. I did not of course have no chance of getting right, I had a 1 in 52 chance and, lo and behold, when the card was turned over it really was the four of diamonds.

My uncle was in awe. Despite my denials he believes to this day that I have some kind of power and that the denials are just fibs to protect my secrets. My question to you Kevin is this; will you be OK, will you be able to cope, if you actually turn out to be right?

On 6/5/2016 at 11:10 PM, Blue Armour said:

Zlatan says he's going to drop a bombshell on Tuesday.

How funny would it be if the bombshell ends up being that he's coming to Chelsea instead of the obvious destination in United.

What happened to this?