The English Football Thread

Steve

Liverpool fans giving it the " We only wanted top 4 at start of season anything else is a bonus "

Funny they were singing " We're gonna win the league " a few months ago

Singing 'Going to win the league' before our game until it slipped through them :ph34r:

I will take one thing from this season as it stands now…..We fucked their title chances big style.

• Replies 65.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

City deserve it, they should of done it a lot easier, thats my main complaint about them. They have by far the best squad, main players at their prime, and they're playing the best football on a good day, some amazing attacking football tbh. They're still not as good as the top 3-4 in Europe and i dont think THIS team (Yaya, Kompany, Silva etc) would ever be that good, but it should be enough for a PL title in this kind of a season and it did finally. No metter how their manager didnt impress (imo) and havent got enough out of that squad, its still a very strong team. We should get the right 2-3-4 players in the summer to be as strong as them as a squad.

You look at their squad though and it's not surprising. There's absolutely no leaders in that dressing room and really it's a bunch of mercenary cunts. We at least had Didier, JT, Lamps, Ashley and Cech who all stepped up. Who have they got? Adebayor? Dawson? Lloris?

That club is a right mess.

Yeah, they spent stupidly.. In that, they bought too much too quickly. City did that initially too which why they won fuck all until 2 seasons ago when they established that guys like Kompany, Toure and Hart (to an extent) would lead that team on the pitch.

Thinking about Tottenham generally I haven't seen an actual 'leader' in that team since King hung up his boots. Defoe always seemed the quiet 'I'll do what I'm told' type player and Robbie Keane wasn't as influential as he should have been. I suppose they could say Sandro, but he looks to be leaving this summer which only increases their problems.

Tottenham only drop one spot and one game loss from last season with Bale...

That's not that bad, granted the better teams in the epl all improved (except United).

Next season, I expect only City/Arsenal to challenge us and pending on United managerial appointment/signings.

City deserve it, they should of done it a lot easier, thats my main complaint about them. They have by far the best squad, main players at their prime, and they're playing the best football on a good day, some amazing attacking football tbh. They're still not as good as the top 3-4 in Europe and i dont think THIS team (Yaya, Kompany, Silva etc) would ever be that good, but it should be enough for a PL title in this kind of a season and it did finally. No metter how their manager didnt impress (imo) and havent got enough out of that squad, its still a very strong team. We should get the right 2-3-4 players in the summer to be as strong as them as a squad.

You know everyone's been saying this, "City deserve it" I actually don't agree one bit. Yes, they have a fantastic squad and Pellegrini bought wisely (despite the prices, guys like Fernandinho actually solved their problem of depth etc) but they won the league by the virtue of everyone else slipping up. I know they had multiple games in hand so they were technically never actually out of it until those games were played.. But they should've been well out of it had Chelsea and Liverpool been consistent.

But that's how you win the league. When everyone slips up, you've got to be there to take opportunities presented to you. Chelsea often fail to do that, we blow it time and time again when we find out the team above us slip up before we play.

Do City have the best squad? Yes

Did they 'deserve' it? No, not in my opinion.

You know everyone's been saying this, "City deserve it" I actually don't agree one bit. Yes, they have a fantastic squad and Pellegrini bought wisely (despite the prices, guys like Fernandinho actually solved their problem of depth etc) but they won the league by the virtue of everyone else slipping up. I know they had multiple games in hand so they were technically never actually out of it until those games were played.. But they should've been well out of it had Chelsea and Liverpool been consistent.

But that's how you win the league. When everyone slips up, you've got to be there to take opportunities presented to you. Chelsea often fail to do that, we blow it time and time again when we find out the team above us slip up before we play.

TBH, City does have the best squad, but unlike us/Liverpool, we haven't had to worry about injury so much...

Using your logic I guess Everton or Southampton deserved to win it

City slipped up a lot too, in the end of the day they have the most points, did the lesser amount of slip ups. Who blow it the most? the strongest team or the weakest? if we were a better team we would have won more games. we're certainly not that good.

City slipped up a lot too, in the end of the day they have the most points, did the lesser amount of slip ups. Who blow it the most? the strongest team or the weakest? if we were a better team we would have won more games. we're certainly not that good.

Using your logic I guess Everton or Southampton deserved to win it

The point I'm making is no-one deserves to win the league, not in a season where there's no outright winner until the end of season like this year. It comes down to opportunity and relying on the teams in contention with yourself to slip up. Times where a club 'deserves' it is when they win it by simply blowing away anyone else from coming near them.. So like we did in 2004/05, when Arsenal went unbeaten etc.

United didn't deserve it last season, they won it because everyone else who wanted it simply screwed up at the silliest times.

The point I'm making is no-one deserves to win the league, not in a season where there's no outright winner until the end of season like this year. It comes down to opportunity and relying on the teams in contention with yourself to slip up. Times where a club 'deserves' it is when they win it by simply blowing away anyone else from coming near them.. So like we did in 2004/05, when Arsenal went unbeaten etc.

United didn't deserve it last season, they won it because everyone else who wanted it simply screwed up at the silliest times.

I think there's alwyas someone who deserve it - the best team - the team who got the most points.

About this season in the PL- i agree there isnt a team who really stood up, but i think that in their good moments City showed more than Chelsea and Liverpool.

I actually agree with LDN Blue on this.

You simply have to look at results against some of the lesser teams we faced at home... West Ham, Sunderland, Norwich... all teams you would expect us to deliver easy points from. Instead we only get 2 out of those three home games. As I have said time and time again this season, there just simply isn't enough penetration up front, and we don't punish teams fully like City, Liverpool and (dare I mention them) Arsenal have done. All we get given to us is our own punishment from the opposition and we're left wondering why we never took our chances.

Priority one... WE NEED TO SIGN A STRIKER THIS SUMMER! Someone who can pierce open a defence and score for fun, like Suarez, like Aguero, like van Persie... Drogba was world class all those years ago.. but I look at the strike force now, and I would NOT hesitate to let go of all of them. Torres is a liability and only has a few good spells in a season (not a consistent one), Eto'o was only a stand-in signing for free in case Torres got an injury... scored great goals which I commend to great acknowledgment, but he'll be going pretty much this summer due to the fact that he's "not young"... and Demba Ba may have scored some important goals himself, but in no way is he a first choice starter. For a team like Newcastle? Yes.. but not for Chelsea.

The best case scenario for us, would be to see us sign Diego Costa for £32m, and see us bring back Romelu Lukaku, and have Mourinho rotate the two during matches. I only say that because the two can't play in the same team with the tactics we use now. However, both are penetrating strikers, and both KNOW how to put the ball in the back of the net.

Next season, Chelsea start banging them in like the good old Drogba years.... happy days!

Thankyou and goodnight!

I actually agree with LDN Blue on this.

You simply have to look at results against some of the lesser teams we faced at home... West Ham, Sunderland, Norwich... all teams you would expect us to deliver easy points from. Instead we only get 2 out of those three home games. As I have said time and time again this season, there just simply isn't enough penetration up front, and we don't punish teams fully like City, Liverpool and (dare I mention them) Arsenal have done. All we get given to us is our own punishment from the opposition and we're left wondering why we never took our chances.

Thing is, I'm not even looking at it from a Chelsea point of view.

But it's saying something when us beating Liverpool at the end of the season had a massive swing in momentum in which direction the league was going, even putting us in contention.

I just don't think a club "deserves" it unless they're outright winners before the last day.

so Celtic were the most deserving Champions in Europe ,,,,