The English Football Thread

Steve

Much rather be 3rd for CL qualifications.

Still time for that to happen and Spurs now have very tough fixtures coming up. Probably their toughest run in the season. Will be very interesting.

• Replies 65.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Yay, it worked. I had money on Arsenal to win and of course they bottled it when my money was at stake. Could have really used the cash right about now but I'll happily take this too.

We started the weekend in 4th. Ended it in 4th. Remain 2 points behind Tottenham but now sit 5 clear of Arsenal.

Anyway here's some stat and fixtures...

1. Tottenham are only 1 point better off this season(54) compared to last season(53) after 28 PL matches - 11/12: W16 D5 L7 - 12/13: W16 D6 L6.

2. Tottenham have now only lost 1 of their last 17 Premier League matches - W13 D3 L1. The sole defeat came late on against Everton at GP.

Can only hope Liverpool won't be as useless as Arsenal were next weekend against Spurs at Anfield.

1. On paper: Tottenham's remaining tough PL games are - Liverpool(A), Swansea(A), Everton(H), Chelsea(A), Man City(H) & Stoke(A).

2. Chelsea's remaining tough PL games(on paper) - Fulham(A), Tottenham(H), Liverpool(A), Man United(A) and Everton(H).

3. Arsenal's remaining tough PL games(again, on paper) - Swansea(A), West Brom(A), Fulham(A), Everton(H), Man Utd(H) and Newcastle(A).

I'd much rather get that Gareth Bale guy.

But AVB has done well to get a top four team into the top four.

In case you haven't noticed, his much weaker team is above us in the table. But of course, it was his "poor man-management skills" to blame for the team's failure last season not the selfishness of our multimillionaires putting their interest ahead of the club's..

We started the weekend in 4th. Ended it in 4th. Remain 2 points behind Tottenham but now sit 5 clear of Arsenal.

1. Tottenham are only 1 point better off this season(54) compared to last season(53) after 28 PL matches - 11/12: W16 D5 L7 - 12/13: W16 D6 L6.

2. Tottenham have now only lost 1 of their last 17 Premier League matches - W13 D3 L1. The sole defeat came late on against Everton at GP.

Can only hope Liverpool won't be as useless as Arsenal were next weekend against Spurs at Anfield.

1. On paper: Tottenham's remaining tough PL games are - Liverpool(A), Swansea(A), Everton(H), Chelsea(A), Man City(H) & Stoke(A).

2. Chelsea's remaining tough PL games(on paper) - Fulham(A), Tottenham(H), Liverpool(A), Man United(A) and Everton(H).

3. Arsenal's remaining tough PL games(again, on paper) - Swansea(A), West Brom(A), Fulham(A), Everton(H), Man Utd(H) and Newcastle(A).

Interesting point about us and Arsenal playing United. Should United make it to the UCL Semi Final, Arsenal's game at home to them would be in-between the two legs, and we go to Old Trafford just after the 2nd leg.

In case you haven't noticed, his much weaker team is above us in the table. But of course, it was his "poor man-management skills" to blame for the team's failure last season not the selfishness of our multimillionaires putting their interest ahead of the club's..

In case you hadn't noticed, we're 2 positions better off than we were last season. Benitez for Manager of the Year!

Isn't it possible that AVB is a better manager than he was last year? He can be a disaster for which he was rightfully sacked and still have learnt from that experience to make himself a better manager can't he?

He's also at a club with much lower expectations and less pressure. Despite that he seems to have happened upon one of the best young players in the world all of a sudden who is carrying that team.

And then there's the fact that the league is weaker than it has been for many a year.

BTW, he didn't just piss off the multimillionaires at our club - he pissed off people who were just starting off their career and people who earn very modest wages. But you carry on with overemphasising our club's internal issues to protect his image.

For us, Swansea and westham are tough too. <_<

In case you hadn't noticed, we're 2 positions better off than we were last season. Benitez for Manager of the Year!

After spending more than 80m since he left. That's probably less than what the whole Tottenham squad cost!

Isn't it possible that AVB is a better manager than he was last year? He can be a disaster for which he was rightfully sacked and still have learnt from that experience to make himself a better manager can't he?

What's more likely? That AVB turned from absolute shit to great in a few months or that the fault was in our players?

He's also at a club with much lower expectations and less pressure. Despite that he seems to have happened upon one of the best young players in the world all of a sudden who is carrying that team.

Lower expectations? They're above us in the league! :lol: He was under immense pressure when he came to Tottenham after the fiasco here last season. Everyone said he would be fired by Jan, he had everything to prove. And Tottenham were doing very well even before Bale hit his current form.

And then there's the fact that the league is weaker than it has been for many a year.

We're playing in the same league with a squad that has loads more quality and are sitting behind them in the table..

BTW, he didn't just piss off the multimillionaires at our club - he pissed off people who were just starting off their career and people who earn very modest wages. But you carry on with overemphasising our club's internal issues to protect his image.

Yes, you got me. I guess my cover is blown. I am a special agent, hired by AVB himself to destroy Chelsea's image among it's supporters and repair Boas' image. You sound delusional, mate.

Why would I want to protect AVB's image? He's managing our top rival this season. I want nothing more than for him to fail. But ignoring facts and pretending that AVB is not proving that he is an excellent manager is not going to help.

After spending more than 80m since he left. That's probably less than what the whole Tottenham squad cost!

But also after sacking one manager and appointing Benitez.

What's more likely? That AVB turned from absolute shit to great in a few months or that the fault was in our players?

Or he was an inexperienced manager who made a number of mistakes which he learnt from - ya know, like a HUMAN BEING does.

Lower expectations? They're above us in the league! :lol: He was under immense pressure when he came to Tottenham after the fiasco here last season. Everyone said he would be fired by Jan, he had everything to prove. And Tottenham were doing very well even before Bale hit his current form.

Do you know what expectations are? If you seriously don't think Spurs have lower expectations than us at the start of each season then you are seriously deluded. He went to a team that finished 4th in the league and had a superstar on the cusp of a breakout year in their midst, and he's 3rd in the league.

We're playing in the same league with a squad that has loads more quality and are sitting behind them in the table..

Because we're in a fucking state at the moment. So are Arsenal. So are City. Every top team besides Man United are seriously underperforming and Spurs are a small team looking good amongst them.

Yes, you got me. I guess my cover is blown. I am a special agent, hired by AVB himself to destroy Chelsea's image among it's supporters and repair Boas' image. You sound delusional, mate.

Why would I want to protect AVB's image? He's managing our top rival this season. I want nothing more than for him to fail. But ignoring facts and pretending that AVB is not proving that he is an excellent manager is not going to help.

Ignoring facts is exactly what you're doing though. Ignoring last year and what AVB is exactly what you're doing. He's proved absolutely FUCK ALL at the moment. 'Arry got that team to fourth in the league last year (they probably should've finished higher) and AVB still has to achieve that. Maybe wait until he surpasses that before you suggest we should hire him back.

perhaps you should change your name to "The only One who knows"

perhaps you should change your name to "The only One who knows"

I'm not the one who thinks he can read the minds of former Arsenal directors. :whistling:

To be honest, Spurs were weakened with the sale of Modric and Van Der Vaart with not the greatest of replacements. So I give him a lot of credit.

To be honest he would have been perfect for us next season if Frank and John leave the club and he is allowed to get players in the vain of Moutinho in. A case of the right manager at the wrong time.

Maybe it was just a season too soon for him. He made a number of mistakes and it's entirely possible that he learnt from them.

It's quite likely that he'd be being touted for our next manager if last year hadn't happened, but that's football sometimes.