Why we've been beatable since 2008...

Tomo

The years 04-08 we were argubally the hardest team to beat in europe but since then we have been suffering a lot more defeats, some have blamed the manager's since then and some other theory's but for me there is only 1 reason we have lost more since 2008 and they are ....

.... the departure of Makelele and the decline of Carvalho.

Since 08-09 Makelele has not been at the club and Carvalho has not IMO been the same player he was between 2004-2008 and we were a lot easier to get at as a result, these 2 were vital cogs in what made our team so tough to brake down and ultimately beat and since the 08-09 we have lost more games because of the departure of one and the steady decline of the other nothing to do with the managers or players came in.

But however with us unbeaten in matches David Luiz has started and John Obi Mikel's emergence in the DM position hopefully the days of being hugely difficult to beat aint that far away again.

COYB

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd disagree Tomo.

We can still a boast a much better defensive record since 2008 than United & Arsenal (I hope someone will back this claim up!). Essien was a great DM in his prime, and now we have Mikel. The problem lies with the ageing squad. Which wouldn't be a problem if we were talking 25 > 28, but it was more like 28 -> 32. With no replacements being groomed & ready.

That's the sad reality of buying superstars. No-one thinks long term..

I agree with BlueLion and to be honest injuries have been destroying our season.I hope we keep the same amount of players like this season but perhaps refresh it in terms of 4 out 4 in for example.But to have a strong bench is the most important thing in turning matches around and keep the motivation high.With Jose we had a massive bench and that is why we just destroyed the Premiership.

Edited by True_Blue

Sorry but this thread is a load of shit, no matter who is in a team, they would never be unbeatable for 3 years, consisting if they were an elite team like Chelsea. Every team loses and has bad spells, realistically, that is simply football.

Sorry but this thread is a load of shit, no matter who is in a team, they would never be unbeatable for 3 years, consisting if they were an elite team like Chelsea. Every team loses and has bad spells, realistically, that is simply football.

Im talking about why weve been beaten MORE OFTEN since then.

Nah those aren't the reasons. It's simple really, Chelsea - defensive football (at times super defensive) = bye bye hardest team to beat.

Just look at Madrid right now vs Barca, it seems almost impossible to score against them.

We were so hard to beat because people couldn't score against us but we would settle for a 1-0 win. Best defence in the world, we are more attacking now and that leaves you more vunerable at the back.

But as we're on Makelele this guy was the BEST player in his position and the BEST at what he did. Chelsea legend.

Sorry i can't take this thread with a pinch of salt, since it was just last season where we recorded wins as high as 7-1 three times, and even ended the season with a 8-0 win with a team that somehow has escaped relegation for too long. A team that scores 103 goals isn't a team that is known as 'beatable' but quiete the oppostie.

I'd disagree Tomo.

We can still a boast a much better defensive record since 2008 than United & Arsenal (I hope someone will back this claim up!). Essien was a great DM in his prime, and now we have Mikel. The problem lies with the ageing squad. Which wouldn't be a problem if we were talking 25 > 28, but it was more like 28 -> 32. With no replacements being groomed & ready.

That's the sad reality of buying superstars. No-one thinks long term..

Agree completely.

We weren't thinking long term, it's understandable we tried to become top team. It's not late to start now.

But i think that we already started.