Man United 2-1 Chelsea

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I'd love to see Torres-Anelka start. Anelka behind Torres in the second striker's role. Benayoun out wide on the right and Zhirkov on the left. They're soft in their wider areas at the back and Yossi and Yuri's trickery could create chances. Zhirkov has to stay wide and behave like a winger though. Too many times his natural game has been curbed by sticking him inside the channel. Centre midfield though is the most crucial piece of the jigsaw as we saw in the first leg. Ramires picks himself and Essien rules himself out (if his performances are to go by). Lampard over Mikel is an obvious choice, considering goals is what we need and Mikel isn't one to look up to in that regard. It's a solid midfield if you look at it. Ramires' pace and energy compliments Lampard's game. Defence picks itself with Alex now available. So -

---------------------Torres-------------------------

-------------------------Anelka---------------------

Zhirkov---------------------------------------------

-----------Lampard--------------------Benayoun

--------------------------Ramires-------------------

Cole-------Terry-------------Alex-------Ivanovic--

Drogba and Kalou on the bench to provide a more direct route to goal if things don't work out.

But that's fantasy. Probably won't happen. Oh well.

Don't think the first goal matters too much. We're going to have to score 2 anyway. But the timing of the first goal matters a lot. Get one early and this is as open as a barn door. Also, don't forget - if scores are 1-1 after normal time, we get an extra 30 minutes to score an away goal. Playing the second leg away is an advantage, regardless of what pundits would like you to believe.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The state of mind the team is in for this one is possibly the most important thing. The season hinges on these 90 minutes now and how we cope psychologically with this fact is going to be very interesting to observe. I made the point in some earlier thread about how uncharacteristically fragile we've been this season in the heart and soul department. How the likes of Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Anelka react to being faced with perhaps their last chance of grabbing the one trophy that has alluded them so cruelly over the last few years will go a long way in determining the result. It only takes a couple of shoulders to droop and people to feel sorry for themselves and before you know it everyone on the pitch feels like that. Everything is against us at the moment and they've got to harness that pain and sense of injustice and channelise it to send out a strong message. The big boys like the Terrys and Lampards and Drogbas will have to step up and win this and earn the millions they are paid.

Sadly Benayoun can't play the full 90 min so that changes my personal line-up.

So right now I'd go with something like this:

Cech

Ivanovic Alex Terry Cole

Mikel

Ramires Lamps

Kalou Drogba Malouda

or

Same story at the back

Ramires Mikel Lamps Malouda

Drogba Kalou

And if things aren't going our way by half-time, bring on Zhirkov (Malouda), Benayoun (Kalou) after the break (or a risky triple sub with Torres coming on too or just bring on Torres after 55-60 min). Play like this and (counter)attack the sh*t out of them:

Same story at the back

Mikel Lamps

Ramires Benayoun Zhirkov

Drogba (Torres)

About the game, of course we can win. But the question is, will we win? Personally, I have no idea. Don't have the feeling we'll loose but also don't have the feeling we'll win. All I know is that we'll need some performance. We don't have the ability to outplay them so it all comes down to how much the players want it (and good tactics from the coach). If they give it their all and luck is on our side, we should win this.

I can't see us go through. Why ? Because lately there's only one player (I do not take Cech into account) who has shown a desire to win. That's Drogba. And when you want to win against ManUtd, furthermore at Old Trafford, you gotta have a killer spirit, you gotta have the desire to beat them, you gotta want to walk on Ronney's head. And our team doesn't show that. Plus, we all know that we tend to let our opponents score first... And unfortunatly we need to score first...

How the likes of Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Anelka react to being faced with perhaps their last chance of grabbing the one trophy

Anelka already has won the Champions, with Madrid. So I guess his motivation won't be as high as Terry's and Lampard's.

Not confident at all, but the winner will have a relatively easy semi against Schalke, with the second leg at home. Hope we can go to Wembley, and an early goal will be important. I'd love a controversial last minute winner from Torres, as he goes mad in front of the United fans singing "que sera sera"... ;)

Anelka already has won the Champions, with Madrid.

Of course, but I meant in Chelsea colours. I imagine he'd want to atone for missing the penalty that handed them the trophy 3 years ago.

Win or lose, Up the fucking Blues blue%20scalf.gifblue%20scalf.gif

Rip the shit outta those red :clown: cunts :smiliecap1:

Can't argue with that :D

As for the line-up for the game, these would be my favourites:

Cech

Ivanovic - Alex - Terry - Cole

Essien - Mikel

Ramires - Lampard

Benayoun

Torres

or

Cech

Mikel

Ramires - Benayoun - Lampard

Drogba - Torres

In the first line-up, I'd expect Essien and Mikel to do amazingly well with their strength and defensive skills to stop United's passing game and take the ball off them. Ramires and Lampard could combine well with each other, and as for Benayoun and Torres, it's obviously clear that it'd work, unless United mark them perfectly well and not give them enough space to move. Benayoun + Torres is who I'm having my biggest hopes on for Tuesday.

As for the second line-up, pretty much similar, but Drogba starting instead of Essien. The Bison hasn't been performing too well in his last performances, hence I believe that Mikel would be a better choice, as he can pass to Ramires - Benayoun or Lamps without showing any sort of pressure. Drogba with his strength could win aerial battles against United's defense, and he and Torres could work, who knows.

I'm more optimistic about this than I was about the first leg game. I have a great feeling that we can beat them. A good advantage we have for this game is Alex returning. We all know how good he is at free-kicks, and we could attempt to get as many as possible. With Alex and Drogba, we could score a freekick or two, and how awesome would it be to silent Old Trafford with a rocket shot. ;)

My expierence of supporting Blues ive seen 5 wins at Old Toilet.

2-1, 3-0, 2-1, 3-1 and 2-1.

A repeat of ANY of those will be enough.

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!blue%20scalf.gif

Cech

Mikel

Ramires - Benayoun - Lampard

Drogba - Torres

Perfection. I feel that we need to take the game to them from the kick off. We can't afford to wake up in the 60th minute and thus cut our finger. This line-up will do the job if we perform and take our chances. I've no doubt we can do it, I can feel it. To be honest being the chasers this time around we should have the mental edge, we've got nothing to lose anymore. They need to protect their lead, I doubt they will sit back but when they're going forward we can sting them with counter attacks. The pressure is on them, not us. Whichever the result, the most important thing for me is that we either go down or go through fighting, that's all I ask as a fan. Sometimes things don't go your way, that's understandable but there needs to be passion and desire to fight for the team and as a team. No doubt in my mind, will be tough task but when we pull it off, my god, will it be special.