Chelsea Officially Signed Willian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trying to figure out how it's even remotely possible that Chelsea have the worst strike force out of all European top clubs

Wow nice to see you backing the players...

Like I said to someone else - go watch Robben and Duff tearing up the Chelsea wings - then tell me we don't have a strike force that can score goals?

Mazacar just doesn't work as well as Robben and Duff did - it's that simple, hence why all the strikers we buy end up looking shit... We have a slow build up and tempo and it gives the opposition time to organise and defend, fast pacy wingers fuck up defending like ice on an F1 circuit...

Before anybody starts I'm not absolving Torres of anything - but i have seen many runs he makes where we decide to piss around with the ball and not pass to him, same with BA and same with Lukaku... So all 3 of our strikers could do with some real width and space to run into...

Well, I perfectly understand why so many people are being confused and angry regarding the fact we're about to splash £30m to strengthen our best area while we could (and should) strengthen other areas (center midfield) in priority.

But, have you thought about the possibility that there is no suitable defensive/central midfielder available at the moment, into the board's opinion ? It's an eventuality which is more than likely. Or that we would have to pay over the odds to get one... the Board was unilaterally congratulated for not paying over the odds to get Cavani, wasn't it ? Or maybe we don't want to buy a short-term solution for that (CM/DM) position and prefer to wait next year ?

In that regard, I don't see any problem in reinforcing our best department. It would be utterly ridiculous to not strengthen at all our team just because we cannot strengthen our weakest area.

We don't have any information regarding who's available on the transfer market. We don't know which players have been considered as a possible purchase ; we don't know which players we have tried to sign.

For Christ's sake, be happy that we can actually reinforce our squad, even if it is not for our most in-the-need area... Remind me, how many players have Manchester and Arsenal bought to reinforce their squad, huh ? So be happy with what's happening, yes there's better, but there's a lot worse.

I didn't say we don't have the players to make through balls - I meant we don't have the movement or width for players to effectively use through balls - e.g Fast Wingers making intelligent runs and not leaving everything to the Striker...

So EVERY striker we have signed barring Drogba (freak :)) has been shit? -

BA - proven goal scorer in the prem, comes here = shit

Lukaku - ripped it up at WBA

Torres - was good now average

Even AVERAGE strikers can score goals with the right service and I'm sorry - our playing style does not work for a single striker - it's a fallacy we have deluded ourselves with for years...

Go watch us when we had Robben + Duff on the wings - we literally raped everybody - that was Mourinho at his best, if he brings that brand of football back I will be delighted...

torres was already shit for pool before he joined. lukaku hasnt played that much so its hard to decide. Ba hasnt got really in to the team and being proven for newcastle where and playing for chelsea is something different. if you are a striker for a top club, you are getting marked different and clubs park the bus against you etc. Against NU hardly any team ever parked the bus and Ba had way more space than he has while playing for chelsea.

look at spurs. they had lennon and bale...fast wingers who made runs. still the strikers couldnt score anything. of course we lacked witdh sometimes, but often our players had to cut inside or drop deeper, because our DM wasnt working properly.

Went from Malouda, Kalou, Anelka, Marin, Moses to Schurrle, Hazard, Mata, Oscar, De Bruyne & Willian.

This is what I call improvement.

Ladies and gentlemen, say thank you to this man.

roman-abramovich.jpg

You mean our CL winners?

majority of clubs have 3 strikers competing for one spot and you're all complaining about us having 7 people for 3 positions? give me a break, a good depth is what we were missing those last few years.

it's just that i'm not sure if Willian, for that price, is what we should be aiming at.

very true. Madrid have Ronaldo, Di Maria, Isco, Ozil, Kaka and Rodriguez, yet they're still trying to sign Gareth Bale for £94m.

Willian is available and would strengthen us, most of the alternatives mentioned that we should sign are either unavailable or would command too higher wages.

torres was already shit for pool before he joined. lukaku hasnt played that much so its hard to decide. Ba hasnt got really in to the team and being proven for newcastle where and playing for chelsea is something different. if you are a striker for a top club, you are getting marked different and clubs park the bus against you etc. Against NU hardly any team ever parked the bus and Ba had way more space than he has while playing for chelsea.

look at spurs. they had lennon and bale...fast wingers who made runs. still the strikers couldnt score anything. of course we lacked witdh sometimes, but often our players had to cut inside or drop deeper, because our DM wasnt working properly.

Sure I get that. But we do lack natural Width and we also lack Tempo...

Playing at a slow pace allows teams to mark us better. Up the pace and tempo and nobody can defend against it...

I think we have enough Firepower - Spurs had nothing, an injured Defoe and the enigma of Adebayour...

We have 3 players (possibly 4 with Rooney) that can and will score goals if we have more width and force the Central Defenders to make a decision on doubling up with the left back or right back, to counter Hazard / Willian, that will create space between them - which our strikeforce can exploit.

This is what we are missing - we are playing like Arsenal - all of the build up in the middle and in front of their defenders - easy to defend against...

And a manager in his first year broke it last season. Means nothing.

His Madrid spell was a failure especially with the amount of money they spent and his individual credentials.

Equaled it actually and I dont deem it as failure to overhaul what was mooted as "The greatest team on earth"

Well, I perfectly understand why so many people are being confused and angry regarding the fact we're about to splash £30m to strengthen our best area while we could (and should) strengthen other areas (center midfield) in priority.

But, have you thought about the possibility that there is no suitable defensive/central midfielder available at the moment, into the board's opinion ? It's an eventuality which is more than likely. Or that we would have to pay over the odds to get one... the Board was unilaterally congratulated for not paying over the odds to get Cavani, wasn't it ? Or maybe we don't want to buy a short-term solution for that (CM/DM) position and prefer to wait next year ?

In that regard, I don't see any problem in reinforcing our best department. It would be utterly ridiculous to not strengthen at all our team just because we cannot strengthen our weakest area.

You say you are glad the club didnt decide to overpay for Cavani or any other possible target (DM,CM), but you are glad we are overpaying for Willian?

For Christ's sake, be happy that we can actually reinforce our squad, even if it is not for our most in-the-need area... Remind me, how many players have Manchester and Arsenal bought to reinforce their squad, huh ? So be happy with what's happening, yes there's better, but there's a lot worse.

You cant say for others to be happy with something they dont agree on. You have all the right to back-up Mourinho and the board on this deal, I just wont because I think that having the resources doesnt mean we should use it in a not so wise manner...

OMG!!

I come on here Wednesday and all I get is - we were shit, couldn't break any teams down, we had no width...

We sign a WINGER and yes, of course - it's a shit signing, stupid, not needed!!!

What the fuck is going on with this forum? It's REALLY DEPRESSING ME...

Someone else posted a GIF earlier and it showed our passes and %'s and there was not one through ball behind a high Aston Villa defensive line... Doesn't that tell you something?

I like the idea of 2 electric fast wingers - dragging the opposition defence all over the place - I think Hazard + Willian is probably just behind Ronaldo + Bale (if it happens)... And yet we are still complaining?

Rooney when it was announced was derided as shit, past it, not needed - now suddenly he's the fucking Messiah?

I just don't get this attitude on the forum anymore and I'm really sad to say I can see myself participating less and less in the future .

I used to love the excitement of logging on and seeing some great posts and joining in great threads - sure there were some bust ups, but now the forum seems petty and childish - and that's probably due to the fact it is younger people participating...

Maybe we could have a mirror forum for the over 30's? Where only posts if you are >30 and have donated via PayPal work? I'm not slagging off the youngsters - but my observation is that they have turned this awesome forum into a war zone...

I cannot believe in the year Mourinho returns, 2 wins out of 2 - people are STILL complaining!! I'm not saying don't question the signings or have an opinion - but lets be balanced at least!

#TheEnd?

Very good points there. Willian definitely does have attributes more akin to a proper winger rather than the AM that have been adapted into wingers which we currently have. Against most teams it probably wouldn't matter. But we do lack width especially on that right hand side at times. And i remember from the shakhtar games he was very proffecient when out wide. I admitedly have seen exactly 0 of the games he has played for Anzhi but i can't see much has changed over the year.

very true. Madrid have Ronaldo, Di Maria, Isco, Ozil, Kaka and Rodriguez, yet they're still trying to sign Gareth Bale for £94m.

Willian is available and would strengthen us, most of the alternatives mentioned that we should sign are either unavailable or would command too higher wages.

Madrid is different. What they will do is to put Bale on the left and Ronaldo up top done and di maria and benzena as backup.

Very good points there. Willian definitely does have attributes more akin to a proper winger rather than the AM that have been adapted into wingers which we currently have. Against most teams it probably wouldn't matter. But we do lack width especially on that right hand side at times. And i remember from the shakhtar games he was very proffecient when out wide. I admitedly have seen exactly 0 of the games he has played for Anzhi but i can't see much has changed over the year.

In my mind I'm thinking Hazard + Willian = the new version of Robben + Duff

I think Mourinho has tried Mazacar but it just doesn't work and now is making steps to correct it. If that means players come and go - so be it.

I loved our playing style in that season - was amazing :)

I never said Willian wont work, you are arguying something I havent said!

I am saying the 30mi adn all the effort to steal Willian from Spurs should be used in more critical areas. Two of them being DM and ST...

This 30mi and the mooney reserved for Rooney would be enough to cover Cavani and new DM!

That is all we are contesting.

As a Brazilian, how do you rate Willian and his chances at Chelsea and the BPL? I've never watched him apart from against us, but stats say he isn't much of a goalscorer.

As a Brazilian, how do you rate Willian and his chances at Chelsea and the BPL? I've never watched him apart from against us, but stats say he isn't much of a goalscorer.

I think he is good, maybe even great. He is definitely better than anyone we have to play as RW/LW (but Hazard), which is obviously a good thing. And he can also be a pretty good CAM.

I am just of the opinion that the set of players we already have are more than enough and there is absolutely no need to splash 30 million on a luxury...

I believe the bigger rocks must be put in the pot before the smaller ones fit in!

In my mind I'm thinking Hazard + Willian = the new version of Robben + Duff

I think Mourinho has tried Mazacar but it just doesn't work and now is making steps to correct it. If that means players come and go - so be it.

I loved our playing style in that season - was amazing :)

Yeah maybe. Oscar on the right doesn't work for us definitely, as Hazard comes in of the left Mata stays central and oscar doesn't really provide much width as he is always coming in central or dropping deep. I think KDB could have worked on the right with his crossing and pace on that wing. But we may have 6 players for 3 positions but only one of those (Moses) you would say is an actual right winger. Willian arguably isn't either as he can play all over but i think he probably is more so than what we have.

Really do hope he gives oscar a go deeper in a central midfield role as he has all the attributes and even works hard in defence. If we could adapt him to occupy one of those positions then all of a sudden this transfer doesn't seem as overkill as it originally looked.