Are we starting to see the next Chelsea 'spine' emerge?

Tomo

With our hugely succesfull and powerfull spine off the last 6 years entering its twilight years are we slowly seeing the basis of our next spine at Stamford Bridge?

Cech-Terry-Carvalho-Makelele-Essien-Lampard-Drogba has been our spine in general over the last 6 years (4 in Maka's case), it has been a brilliant spine for us and saw us finish in the top 2 for 5 of those 6 season's, winning the title on 3 occasions along with 3 FA Cups and 2 league cups, but with Maka and Ricky gone, Lampard and Drogba well and truly in their twilight years, Terry slowly approaching them and Essien inconsistent in comparison with 2/3 years ago, are we seeing a slow transformation in this hugely successful spine?

David Luiz and Ramires have been brought in firmly with the next 7/8 years in mind, David Luiz has started like a house on fire and Ramires after a tough start is starting to show us why we parted with £18 million for his signature, if both carry on like this for the next decade they will prove to be bargains, hopefully we will start seeing a lot more of Josh next season and he could be a key part of our next spine. Torres still has a good 5/6 years at the top level.

Aswell as Josh we have players in this youth cup team that are impressing and the stand outs for me are Josh (obviously), Chalaboah, B.Clifford and Deen-Conteh with the right training and attitude i think all have a serious chance of being Chelsea 1st team players. Also on Chelsea's raidar seems to be Neymar and i cant help but think Carlo wants a Brazillian spine on the pitch similar to one he attempted to make at Milan (Silva-Kaka-Pato) he signed Silva but left before he officially became a Milan player.

Petr Cech still has a good 10 years left and with the likes off Delac and Sebek up and coming we are fine in that area for some time.

Looks like work is already starting for our new spine, what do you think it will look like?

KTBFFHblue%20scalf.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very pleased to see the bench we had against United.It was a mixture of expirienced players with youth,you can't go wrong there.Two major signings and all the sudden we have a lot of cover which is brilliant.

As for the spine of the team changing that is more than obvious.From our key players in that spine you named we still can depend on Cech who just gets better,Terry rock solid as usual and if he keeps injury free we will still have 3-4 years in the Captain.Lampard didn't really perform this season even after his injury he didn't really impress like he did all these years with us,but don't you worry Lampard will deliver when we need him the most.He is 32 but we are on a good way to have a young and expirienced midfield with many players showing promise.Our forwards worry me in a way,since i can see a few of them departure in the summer.Anelka (31) Drogba (32) Malouda (30) and they all pretty much under performed.But with the arrival of Torres and loaned out Sturridge we have a pair of strikers that can still perform for years to come.I would also like them to have cover since i doubt we will ever have a injury free season.So we are pretty much covered and things look bright.

I guess our team won't look much different than this seasons.

----------------------Cech

Ivanovic------Luiz--------Terry------Cole

Ramires-----Lampard------Essien-------?

------------Torres------Sturridge---------

I guess Zhirkov could cover the left wing in midfield.

We have average cover for Cech,in the center backs we have Alex and Bruma,left we have Van Aanholt or Zhirkov if needed.Right back we have Boswinga if he stays that is.McEchran,Mikel,Malouda in midfield,Kalou to back up the forwards.

Sorry for the long post.

Agree with most of the first post. I see Cech being dominant for quite a few years, Luiz will be the best defender in the world once he calms down a bit with his tackles and is definitely "spine-worthy", Terry will be here for a few more years. Ramires is the one that can take over Lampard's spine-spot. A lot of people look at him to takeover from Essien but I honestly believe he will slot in as a box-to boxer like Lamps and he will score goals once he gets even more comfortable in his role. Torres has to be Drogba's replacement in the spine or Chelsea's board are crazy for spending so much on him. So there we have it....Cech, Luiz, Terry, Ramires, Torres, our spine right up the centre for the next 5-6 years.

If you're looking at additions that don't need to be long-term veterans with us, we need a complement to Ramires in the centre, and a couple of true wingers. In the back, if we really want to keep slow and steady Brano on the right (I don't like that idea) then we need a contrast of speed and explosiveness on the left. There is no better choice than Coentrao in that role.

Honestly, I think Chelsea are on the right path and already have that new spine, we just need to mould the rest of the team around them.

In the long term, we can only really say that two or three youngsters will make the grade - we have some talented youngsters, like van Aanholt, but even he is unlikely to be given much of a future at the club. McEachran, Clifford and Bruma at this moment are probably the three players who are most likely to make the grade. Either way, those three have the potential to be good players indeed.

Guest justin_3d

I am very pleased to see the bench we had against United.It was a mixture of expirienced players with youth,you can't go wrong there.Two major signings and all the sudden we have a lot of cover which is brilliant.

As for the spine of the team changing that is more than obvious.From our key players in that spine you named we still can depend on Cech who just gets better,Terry rock solid as usual and if he keeps injury free we will still have 3-4 years in the Captain.Lampard didn't really perform this season even after his injury he didn't really impress like he did all these years with us,but don't you worry Lampard will deliver when we need him the most.He is 32 but we are on a good way to have a young and expirienced midfield with many players showing promise.Our forwards worry me in a way,since i can see a few of them departure in the summer.Anelka (31) Drogba (32) Malouda (30) and they all pretty much under performed.But with the arrival of Torres and loaned out Sturridge we have a pair of strikers that can still perform for years to come.I would also like them to have cover since i doubt we will ever have a injury free season.So we are pretty much covered and things look bright.

I guess our team won't look much different than this seasons.

----------------------Cech

Ivanovic------Luiz--------Terry------Cole

Ramires-----Lampard------Essien-------?

------------Torres------Sturridge---------

I guess Zhirkov could cover the left wing in midfield.

We have average cover for Cech,in the center backs we have Alex and Bruma,left we have Van Aanholt or Zhirkov if needed.Right back we have Boswinga if he stays that is.McEchran,Mikel,Malouda in midfield,Kalou to back up the forwards.

Sorry for the long post.

I don't see Ivan on the RB if what Arnesen said about Van der wiel is true.

More likely it will be Ivan as CB. I think Luiz can play in the midfield as holding role as well.

Lampard is of the old guard...and has a couple of seasons left...hopefully like Giggs...but as Giggs will slowly be getting into the bench. So in his place should be a new buy. As Josh will not be ready next season...but maybe in 2 or 3 years.

And Cole....I am wondering if PVA can start taking over next year a bit more.

Last heard a lot of rumors about Subotic...if that's true, then he will be of the new spine, with Terry also the same role as maybe Gary Neville.

Luiz and Ramires have been inspired signings. Ramires has grown into a really brilliant player and Luiz has come in and been class from day 1!

It is hard to guage how things will look going forward because it depends on what investment Roman decides to make and how our youngsters develop.

Just a note on the youngsters, it seems that when bringing youngsters through fans (and the club seem to have a similar view at the moment) seem to think it is either regular starter or not at all. We can be using our young players as squad players, much like Man U. PVA or Bertrand may not go on to be a player who would play ever game for a top top team, but would be an excellent back up option.

For the next 3/4 years at least we have a good spine of Cech, Luiz, Essien, Ramires, Torres that the team will be built around.

Last heard a lot of rumors about Subotic...if that's true, then he will be of the new spine, with Terry also the same role as maybe Gary Neville.

Never use John Terry and that c*nt's name in the same sentence. Unless it goes "Terry then knocked out the c*nt"

Guest justin_3d

Never use John Terry and that c*nt's name in the same sentence. Unless it goes "Terry then knocked out the c*nt"

Same crap.

They both kill themselves for the team.

Sure Gary has a despicable attitude...but Terry is the same outside of the game.

But I could care less about that, i care about how they play in the field and how they put the passion.

Terry would be like Gary.

No mentions about the legend himself, Gael Kakuta?

yea! i think the noise about the left wing (explosiveness, trickery, dribbling) can be reduced by Kakuta! anybodi wif me!