Is our midfield good enough?

Styles

Can see both sides of the argument here, but it comes down to who is the more valuble player to the side?. I think Essiens ability to cover the pitch better gives him the nod for me, but he seriously needs to concentrate on what he is doing more.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you haven't recognised it by now, I don't think you will..

Well we won our first 2 titles without him &-played some of the best football for some time by winning our last title and it was no coincidence that Mikel was injured for that period, where Ballack was just majestic in that role.5 seasons, how many goals? How many assists? He is not top class, whereas when Essien is fully fit, is.

If we go onto win the CL with Mikel being instrumental, I wil gladly eat humble pie but I very much doubt it.

That's true, but that's for another debate fella.

godzola calm down and get you're facts right, most passes, most accurate passes, most passes forward as DM, most interceptions of the leage thats what we're talking about for a DEFENSIVE midfielder.... turn off you're troll modus and get real...

as you state by you're self, Essien WAS Probably the best defensive minded central midfielder on this planet, but he has lost it, as hard as it sounds... and Ess was one of MY favourites so don't come here and talk about pundits what so ever... Mikel was alongside Cech player of the year for this club get real... two damages of you're crucial ligaments aren't easy its a wonder he's playing... so don't expect him to be the same he was any time...

greetings...

When will Carlo have the balls to drop him?

He wont , he seem to wait until they start playing well again. its like he crosses his fingers and hope somthing works rather than changing things. but if we where honestly in his position would we do half the things we say he should do ?

He wont , he seem to wait until they start playing well again. its like he crosses his fingers and hope somthing works rather than changing things. but if we where honestly in his position would we do half the things we say he should do ?

I would have more respect for the man if he at least tried something different. I think he has an agreement in place with Roman to leave at the end of the year anyway unless he wins the CL.

The refusal to drop out of form players is frustrating, the players have the mentality now of playing no matter how poor their form. A lot of the players need a good kick up the backside.

For goodness sake man, before his injuries Essien was lauded as the best DM in the world - without question & these words were coming from pro' s, pundits & managers alike but what the fuck do I know! Ancelotti style? Yeah, he can't even get the poxy formation right let alone a style of football but its apt that Mikel has been benched by Ancelotti & not Essien but as I stated, he should of been.

The end of the day l don't rate Mikel, you & the masses on here do, when Essien gets back to hid best then you & the clones come back & tell me who is the better player. Oh & by the way its not just me who thinks Essien should be pushed further up the pitch but if its given you a laugh them I'm glad i've done something for you!

essien was never a dm, so how can he be rated as the best. he started as a defender at bastia but then moved to box to box midfielder position. at lyon too he wasnt a dm, edmilson and mohamadou diarra were the dms. he was still box to box.. at chelsea it was mikel that took over makalele while essien took over eidur's position, box to box. essien could be used in the dm position only in desparate situations. he isnt a good tackler. his first touch can be suspect sometimes. what essien has is an abundance of energy. you might not rate mikel and frankly that your opinion, as a defensive midfilder mikel is the better player. quite possibly as a midfielder overall essien might be better, but as a dm mikel takes the cake. you might not rate mikel but his past couple of manager do...does that mean the have no idea what they are doin? at the end of the day he is still young and is getting better

our midfield is excellent when on form ...sadly at the moment they arent playing as well as they can ...we are particularly missing Franks goals

and his usual overall contribution ...ESS seems to be wasteful recently ...They need to get back to their best soon.

^^This basically.

Our midfielder are some of the best in the world with the exception of the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, and a couple of others. They are just ALL off form, when they get it back we will be laughing.

godzola calm down and get you're facts right, most passes, most accurate passes, most passes forward as DM, most interceptions of the leage thats what we're talking about for a DEFENSIVE midfielder.... turn off you're troll modus and get real...

as you state by you're self, Essien WAS Probably the best defensive minded central midfielder on this planet, but he has lost it, as hard as it sounds... and Ess was one of MY favourites so don't come here and talk about pundits what so ever... Mikel was alongside Cech player of the year for this club get real... two damages of you're crucial ligaments aren't easy its a wonder he's playing... so don't expect him to be the same he was any time...

greetings...

[/quote)

Please enlighten me into which facts I have got wrong? The question is our midfield good enough & my opinion is not with Mikel playing as the DM as he doesn't distribute the ball quick enough to start attacks or counters amongst other things, & its no coincidence that we are not creating chances & again this is because our midfield are under performing - Essien included.

I then reply that Essien when fit is a better player wherever he plays on the pitch than Mikel & you all take umbrage? Just because I'm in the minority here it does not mean I am wrong, people will have different perceptions & that's what forums are about. Now stop using terms like troll modus & get real until you fully understand what posters are trying to get across. Your post is bizarre you are talking down to me in most of it & then say 'greetings'? If pundits are saying the same as me why can't I say as much? So don't tell me what I can & can't do, if you & the clones don't like it - tough!

lastly, my point is that we do not need a DM against teams that are going to defend, we need a playmaker - that is why I have stated Ancelotti should bring in MacEachran & if that's at the expense of Essien so be it - but I would rather he was pushed further up the pitch. Time will tell us more about his cruciate injury but havng the re-construction surgery myself, I am pretty well placed to know that Essien can get back to his best but needs games & time.

I've said Mikel can be used in certain games & is squad player but that's as far as my praise will go im afraid.

Edited by GodZola

essien was never a dm, so how can he be rated as the best. he started as a defender at bastia but then moved to box to box midfielder position. at lyon too he wasnt a dm, edmilson and mohamadou diarra were the dms. he was still box to box.. at chelsea it was mikel that took over makalele while essien took over eidur's position, box to box. essien could be used in the dm position only in desparate situations. he isnt a good tackler. his first touch can be suspect sometimes. what essien has is an abundance of energy. you might not rate mikel and frankly that your opinion, as a defensive midfilder mikel is the better player. quite possibly as a midfielder overall essien might be better, but as a dm mikel takes the cake. you might not rate mikel but his past couple of manager do...does that mean the have no idea what they are doin? at the end of the day he is still young and is getting better

Correct in your assumption at Lyon, don't know about Bastion? But Essien was used as the DM in Makelele's absence & when he left but because he was so versatile he was also filling in at rigjt back. Eidur played upfront fella either as a striker or behind the front 2, Essien has never played there???