Is our midfield good enough?

Styles

Guest justin_3d

As of already stated Justin, I don't rate Mikel, squad player yes but for me he is never get passed Lessen who is by far a more superior player despite his lack of form coming back from 2 serious injuries will take time but he will get back to his best, despite his slow start Ramires is impressing me with each game, that leaves young Josh who for me will be world class if he is nurtured to continue his rapid rise up the pro ladder.

Lastly it has come as no surprise to me that Mikel had been benched in the last 2 games, I would however be very happy for him to prove me wrong & will apologies to you, Styles & co, but I won't hold my breathe! :smiliecap1:

Well you can just take into account the games he played last season and the ones he played this season.

He has been far better in a lot then worse.

I know he was bad in the last 2 games, but he has a lot of potential. Just need to work some more stuff, but I think in a season or two Mikel should be better. :)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O love Lampard, but his season has been really poor. If you ask me I would say that Ramires and Essien are doing better than him.

I agree! I think Ramires works a lot harder and Essien, much as he has a sloppy pass or two also plays much better. Lampard's years have caught up on him to be fair, and injuries have cost him as well.

Guest justin_3d

I agree! I think Ramires works a lot harder and Essien, much as he has a sloppy pass or two also plays much better. Lampard's years have caught up on him to be fair, and injuries have cost him as well.

Lampard should be super sub, or start and be sub like in the 60th for Josh.

Carlo needs to play more Josh!

Mikel is so important to the team it's unbelievable.

He is a much better DM than Essien for the reason Styles stated. His ability to hold possession is something we've severely lacked. More times, than ever, he's kick started our counter attacks with intelligent ball control and distribution. Everyone was singing praises of him in October, now he's gone under as a dark-horse. I believe Carlo makes a mistake when using Essien instead of Mikel.

Mikel is so important to the team it's unbelievable.

He is a much better DM than Essien for the reason Styles stated. His ability to hold possession is something we've severely lacked. More times, than ever, he's kick started our counter attacks with intelligent ball control and distribution. Everyone was singing praises of him in October, now he's gone under as a dark-horse. I believe Carlo makes a mistake when using Essien instead of Mikel.

& everybody & I mean the world & his brother was stating Essien was the best DM in

the world before his career threatening injuries, if you lot think Mikel is a better player than Essien then I'm Franco Zola!

I know first hand what it's like to come back from a ruptured anterior ligament & I've still got the 4 inch scar to show for it, Essien will get better with more games & it may take him til next season to get back to his swashbuckling best but just to show that I have a diverse opinion I don't think he sould be amumed from the chop either as he has been struggling for form too.

& everybody & I mean the world & his brother was stating Essien was the best DM in

the world before his career threatening injuries, if you lot think Mikel is a better player than Essien then I'm Franco Zola!

I know first hand what it's like to come back from a ruptured anterior ligament & I've still got the 4 inch scar to show for it, Essien will get better with more games & it may take him til next season to get back to his swashbuckling best but just to show that I have a diverse opinion I don't think he sould be amumed from the chop either as he has been struggling for form too.

Essien was. Until Mikel came along.

Essien has so much more attacking flare. He's wasted at DM. That's what "everybody" said, so we asked, and received. He's much better going forward and staying there, and going back to help out Mikel, than he is starting there. This is because we rely on our full-backs for the width. This means we need our DM to stay back and cover. Essien likes to go forward and if we keep him at DM we'll lose so much drive in midfield. Mikel there is a better option for both parties.

Well you can just take into account the games he played last season and the ones he played this season.

He has been far better in a lot then worse.

I know he was bad in the last 2 games, but he has a lot of potential. Just need to work some more stuff, but I think in a season or two Mikel should be better. :)

I'm not talking about 2 games mate, I'm on about the last 5 seasons where he has had some decent spells - ala lDN, about his form at the start of the season but too many average performances have made my mind up about him I'm afraid. It's just my opinion of course.

ala lDN, about his form at the start of the season but too many average performances have made my mind up about him I'm afraid. It's just my opinion of course.

Fair do's mate. Hopefully Mikel will keep his consistency when he's called up, and will sway your mind :)

Fair do's mate. Hopefully Mikel will keep his consistency when he's called up, and will sway your mind :)

Mikel should play as a holding midfield player because I feel that he's good there. I think apart from his consistent untentional challenges, he's a pretty solid player. I think the only reason why Mikel didn't play so well against Liverpool, is because he got booked in the first few seconds of the game, and had to be careful. If you think about it, a holding midfielder is renowned to go in for tackles to win the ball, a wrong move could get you a second yellow and get you sent off.

Essien and Ramires should play off Mikel as two central midfield players. I'm starting to believe that Ramires is getting a grip in the midfield finally, and he's able to win the ball easier than he did when he started. Essien has gotten better, but he is still making sloppy passes in the middle, which really needs to be worked on.

I think the only reason why Mikel didn't play so well against Liverpool, is because he got booked in the first few seconds of the game, and had to be careful. If you think about it, a holding midfielder is renowned to go in for tackles to win the ball, a wrong move could get you a second yellow and get you sent off.

Exactly! My words exact after that game :)

Mikel has been our most improved player in the last few years. From constant red cards, to a vital member of the squad. Brilliant!

Essien was. Until Mikel came along.

Essien has so much more attacking flare. He's wasted at DM. That's what "everybody" said, so we asked, and received. He's much better going forward and staying there, and going back to help out Mikel, than he is starting there. This is because we rely on our full-backs for the width. This means we need our DM to stay back and cover. Essien likes to go forward and if we keep him at DM we'll lose so much drive in midfield. Mikel there is a better option for both parties. :offtopic:

I totally agree that Essiens talent should be utilized in a more offensive position but because Lampard has been so successful as the attacking midfielder he hasn't got a look in, he is still better than Mikel at the DM position for reasons that I have already given. I seem to be the minority on here but its strange that when I listen to pundits, Steve Claridge the latest one on 606 to back up my argument, It's a little difficult to see the masses point of view on here,

That said LDN, i would rather Ancelotti dumped the role when we play frustrating defensively minded teams in favour of a more offensive, attacking formation.

Mikel has been our most improved player in the last few years. From constant red cards, to a vital member of the squad. Brilliant!

Couldn't agree more! He needs to play more often. He's the closest we have to a Makelele-esque player in a sense that he's almost as robust as him when he has the ball. Sometimes his tackles aren't perfect, but I feel he has that strength and willingness in him to win the ball back and get play going again. Essien isn't a Makelele player because he's much quicker and gets forward. His jobs are much different to him.

I totally agree that Essiens talent should be utilized in a more offensive position but because Lampard has been so successful as the attacking midfielder he hasn't got a look in, he is still better than Mikel at the DM position for reasons that I have already given. I seem to be the minority on here but its strange that when I listen to pundits, Steve Claridge the latest one on 606 to back up my argument, It's a little difficult to see the masses point of view on here,

That said LDN, i would rather Ancelotti dumped the role when we play frustrating defensively minded teams in favour of a more offensive, attacking formation.

Just LOL at the idea of Essien in a more offensive position. He can barely make progressive passes under no pressure, he would be completely out of his depth having mainly offensive duties. Essien's best qualities are fast becoming redundant to the style of play Ancelotti wants, that much is clear.

You seem unwilling to accept that Mikel is a better DM because of his distribution. He is technically superior to Essien; first touch, technique, vision and passing ability both long and short.

Guest justin_3d

Just LOL at the idea of Essien in a more offensive position. He can barely make progressive passes under no pressure, he would be completely out of his depth having mainly offensive duties. Essien's best qualities are fast becoming redundant to the style of play Ancelotti wants, that much is clear.

You seem unwilling to accept that Mikel is a better DM because of his distribution. He is technically superior to Essien; first touch, technique, vision and passing ability both long and short.

Agreed I see Mikle more gifted technicall.

But just that Essien is like the general of the game.

For now Essien is better, because of the system and players we have.

I think when Josh gets more playing time, it might be better to pair him up with Mikel.

But with Lampard, and Ramirez, Essien is better. Or Lampard, Essien Mikel.

Now that we have Torres and David Luiz it might change, but not straight of the bat.

Maybe by next season Mikel will have a bigger role then Essien.

You have to remember he is only 23, and hes best is yet to come.

By 25 is when this boy should start really hitting his game. And by then hopefully Josh is better cememted into the team, and what ever other players we acquire will help with this system.

For goodness sake man, before his injuries Essien was lauded as the best DM in the world - without question & these words were coming from pro' s, pundits & managers alike but what the fuck do I know! Ancelotti style? Yeah, he can't even get the poxy formation right let alone a style of football but its apt that Mikel has been benched by Ancelotti & not Essien but as I stated, he should of been.

The end of the day l don't rate Mikel, you & the masses on here do, when Essien gets back to hid best then you & the clones come back & tell me who is the better player. Oh & by the way its not just me who thinks Essien should be pushed further up the pitch but if its given you a laugh them I'm glad i've done something for you!