Value for money

Madmax

Basically, tell us how many marks do the players deserve out of 10 for their performances over the years, when compared to their transfer fee.

Petr Cech (7 million from Rennes in 2004) - 10/10 Getting the best GK in the world for that amount - incredible. CFC should rename one of the stands the Ranieri stand just for this signing alone.

Paulo Ferreira (16 million from Porto in 2004) - 8/10 Arrived for a large fee but imo has served the club very well over the years. One of the most professional players at the club and was no mug as a defender either in his prime.

Branislav Ivanovic (9 million from Locomotiv Moscow in 2008) - 7.5/10 Has grown in importance immensely. Hope he's with us for years to come because we've discovered a true gem.

Alex (1 million from PSV in 2007) 7.5/10 Has established himself very well alongside JT in central defence. Injuries have been unkind to him though.

Ashley Cole (5 million + Gallas from Arsenal in 2006) 8.5/10 Best LB in the world, enough said.

Jose Bosingwa (16 million from Porto in 2008) 5.5/10 Blows hot and cold. Good debut season but hasn't impressed after return from injury.

Yuri Zhirkov (18 million from CSKA in 2009) 5.5/10 Again, l=unlucky with injuries but hasn't been able to dislodge Cole/Malouda on the left when fit. Half decent when given a run of games.

John Obi Mikel (20 million from Lyn Oslo in 2006) 7.5/10 Has blossomed into an important part of the team at still just 23. I'm a big fan.

Michael Essien (24 million from Lyon in 2005) 8.5/10 On his day easily one of the top 3 midfielders in Europe. Inconsistent after return from injury, but it's to be expected. All in all, a great signing without doubt.

Ramires (18 million from Benfica in 2010) Too early to tell.

Frank Lmapard (11 million from West Ham in 2001) 10/10 Need I say anything?

Yossi Benayoun (5.5 million from Liverpool in 2010) Too early to tell.

Florent Malouda (13 million from Lyon in 2007) 7/10 Frustrated during his initial 18 months but hasn't looked back since. Very important fixture in the team now.

Nicolas Anelka (15 million from Bolton in 2008) 7.5/10 Again, blows hot and cold but is deadly on his day. 50 goals in 3 years after playing second fiddle to Drogba and having spent 2 of them on the wing is no mean feat for a 32 year old.

Salomon Kalou (9 million from Feyenoord in 2006) 7/10 Inconsistent and frustrating but 50 goals from a winger who doesn't start many games is still commendable.

Daniel Sturridge (6.5 million from Man City in 2009) 7/10 Gets a goal on most occasions that he starts. Shame he doesn't see much game time at all.

Didier Drogba (24 million from Marseille in 2004) 9/10 Too temperamental for my liking, but no questioning that he's a legend already.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cech- 10

Ferriera - 7

Ivanovic - 9

Alex - 9

A Cole - 10

Bosingwa - 6

Zhirkov - 6

Mikel - 8

Essien - 9.5

Lampard - 10

Malouda - 7

Anelka - 8

Drogba - 8.5

Kalou - 4

Too early for Sturridge imo. Drogba's only had 2 great seasons, yet to convince me he was worth it considering what we paid. Ivanovic, Alex and Cole have been superb since we signed them.. Alex especially because we only paid £1million

Too early for Sturridge imo. Drogba's only had 2 great seasons, yet to convince me he was worth it considering what we paid. Ivanovic, Alex and Cole have been superb since we signed them.. Alex especially because we only paid £1million

That is a complete myth, Didier was actually brilliant in his second season. Drogba opened so much space for the other players to score around him, he sacrificed himself in the first 2 seasons. Drogba was a complete battling ram in those seasons and we cruised 2 league titles he was actually instrumental !

That is a complete myth, Didier was actually brilliant in his second season. Drogba opened so much space for the other players to score around him, he sacrificed himself in the first 2 seasons. Drogba was a complete battling ram in those seasons and we cruised 2 league titles he was actually instrumental !

No doubt about that, he was great when called upon. However, if we're talking value for money.. £24million that is (which back then = A hell of a lot) I'd say his best seasons were 09/10 & 06/07, perhaps even 07/08. His step up came when Shevchenko arrived, his over all game improved a lot.. Then he had 2 consecutive season of brilliance which were worth of a 10/10 but personally I think prior to that he wasn't that great, certainly by valuation of the fee.

This is about value for money, not what i rate them out of 10...

Cech - £7m = 10/10. Cheap, young, safe, brave, the best in the world on his day.

Ferriera £16m = 6/10. Good servant for us in 6 seasons but £16m.... he's not been THAT good

Ivanovic £9m = 10/10. Cheap signing in todays market, would be worth £25m now for sure

Alex £1m = 10/10. £1m? Snip and 100% worth at least that. Bargain of the century.

Ashley Cole £5m + Gallas = 10/10 brilliant business, didn't think it would be but £5m is nothing and Gallas has been on the decline since leaving us wheras Ash has played his best ever football in the chelsea blue.

Bosingwa £16m = 5/10. Weak defender, bit of a bottler and very inconsistent.

Zhirkov £18m = 5/10. Aint played much and not been consistent enough when he has

Mikel £20m = 3/10. £20m for that? Give me a break. Can't pass, shoot, stay awake or look bothered

Essien £24m = 8/10, great signing but having periods of inconsistency of late and having a pretty ropey season.

Ramires £18m = 6/10. Looks decent, but not for £18m.

Lampard £11m = 11/10. Our best ever signing imo, didn't want him but so glad we got him. Been outstanding for a decade.

Benayoun £5.5m = N/A. Can't tell yet.

Malouda £13m = 7/10. Steep price but he's looked like a real player in the last 2 and a half seasons.

Anelka £15m = 7/10. Scores goals but goes out of position and labours on the ball too much. Strolls through games. ##

Kalou £9m = 2/10. Useless, Talentless, over priced, wasteful, weak, crap final ball, shit in big games. Does however score when we're already 3-0 up and against shit.

Sturridge £6.5m = N/A. He's got the ability but not been allowed to show it in meaningful matches.

Drogba £24m = 9/10 When he want's to play, he's devastating, but that's when he can be bothered.

Edited by OllieCFC

I maintain that the greatest piece of business this club made was signing Carlo Cudicini from Castel di Sangri for £160,000. If that's not value for money, I don't know what is!

Cech, Alex and Malouda have all offered super returns for their price tags, whilst Cole has done us two favours - vindicating that £5million, and getting rid of Gallas. He can have a 12 for that.

Cech- 10 needless to say anything

Ferriera - 6.5 great commitment, but not that good.

Ivanovic - 9 one of the best winter signing

Alex - 8 often injured but massive player

A Cole - 10 brilliant

Bosingwa - 7 terrific in his first session .

Zhirkov - 7.5 performed good whenever called upon

Mikel - 7.5 a superb DM is in making

Essien - 8.5 Engine of our midfield

Lampard - 10+ hmm

Malouda - 7 not a tricky winger but effective

Anelka - 7.5 intelligent player with truckload of skills. But I think he past his prime

Drogba - 9 words are not enough

Kalou - 0.5 hmm

Cech- 10 Best keeper i have seen in a chelsea shirt, that is a great compliment considering some of the fantastic keepers we have had !

Ferriera 6/10 Good right back, very loyal, not worth 16 million !

Ivanovic 8/10 At 9 million that was a great bargain, he really paid us back with those goals against liverpool hahahaha !

Alex 8/10 At 1 million this has to be one of our biggest bargains !

A Cole 9/10 This left back provided 2 services, the first one was getting rid of that twat William, also being a fine left back !

Bosingwa 7/10 I like Bos a lot i think he is a good right back !

Zhirkov Can not say yet !

Mikel 8/10 he has softened the blow of losing maka in my opinion !

Essien 9/10 He was worth the whole summer and his food strike lol hahahahaah take that Lyon !

Lampard 10/10 No need !

Malouda 8/10 Find me a left winger as good as him for 13 million and i will shag you !

Anelka 7/10 Even though he frustrates me, he can finish half chances !

Drogba 10/10 The whole team was built around him from day one of the new ERA, that flick on for guddy kicked started our trophy haul !

Kalou 2/10 clap.gif His agent is the greatest agent in the history of the game, god knows what he could of achieved for Messi !

Edited by Badboy

£5m + Gallas for Ashely Cole has got to be the greatest transfer ever.

4 years on Gallas got realeased and went on a bosman to Spurs while Cole was the subject of a £30m bid from Real Madrid. Looks like Jose had the hold over Arsene in the transfer market aswell as on the pitch.

God i wish i still saw my gooner school/college classmates who during 06-08 were gloating about how they got the better deal.

Paulo Ferreira (16 million from Porto in 2004) - 8/10 Arrived for a large fee but imo has served the club very well over the years. One of the most professional players at the club and was no mug as a defender either in his prime.

Branislav Ivanovic (9 million from Locomotiv Moscow in 2008) - 7.5/10 Has grown in importance immensely. Hope he's with us for years to come because we've discovered a true gem.

Alex (1 million from PSV in 2007) 7.5/10 Has established himself very well alongside JT in central defence. Injuries have been unkind to him though.

I think ferreira was more around £13m even still too much. Alex and Ivan have to be rated above Ferreira on both price and ability. IMO.

Ferrira 5.5, Alex 8 ,Ivan 9 for me.