Rape scenes in movies

BlueLion.

I was watching 'American History X' a few days ago, and was taken aback by how brutal it is. Another shocking scene is in the film 'Irreversible,' which I would honestly say is by far the most unnerving thing I have ever seen. Its essentially a ten minute rape scene that is so violently explicit it makes you feel sick.

But my question is this - do you find it acceptable to see such things in movies, or on television screens?

And to throw a curveball into the mixer as well, what would you say is the 'best' rape scene you've ever seen?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha

Not a movie but the rape scenes in This is England 86 were quite difficult to watch and it takes a lot for me to say that!

Agreed completely. I actually was dreading it the second time round because i knew it was gonna happen. Genuinally felt disturbed when i'm usually not affected so much by films and tv haha

I think it's acceptable and it should be shown. You do see a lot of crimes in a movies and rape is just one of them. It's shocking but just as much as death on screen used to be back in the days. It shows hell that this character goes through but I think it should be limited. I mean not so accurate.

As someone who wants to go into film making as a career. I think they are acceptable. Films are an art form, if the director/writer needs a scene to tell the story or just wants a scene in there it should never be removed. This may result to a film not being shown in cinemas, released to DVD etc, but that is ultimately up to the producers/ production company of the film. In this day and age, things TOO graphical for Cinema/DVD/TV release aren't very financially smart. Although I don't particularly like these scenes, I respect the filmakers for still putting them in, lots of blockbuster shit that comes out doesn't grab the audience and shake them up, when you feel uncomftorable or even want to turn the film off because of the content, then you know the film maker has done a good job.

I don't mind them tbh. A director should be allowed to show what he wants to show. The censor boards are there for a reason - as it is movies with violence, sex and gore are going to get adult certificates anyway.

But directors should understand that the audiences are likely to figure out if those scenes have been shot as they were essential to the plot of the film, or merely as a filler to give the film some controversy, and as a result, publicity.

As someone who wants to go into film making as a career. I think they are acceptable. Films are an art form, if the director/writer needs a scene to tell the story or just wants a scene in there it should never be removed. This may result to a film not being shown in cinemas, released to DVD etc, but that is ultimately up to the producers/ production company of the film. In this day and age, things TOO graphical for Cinema/DVD/TV release aren't very financially smart. Although I don't particularly like these scenes, I respect the filmakers for still putting them in, lots of blockbuster shit that comes out doesn't grab the audience and shake them up, when you feel uncomftorable or even want to turn the film off because of the content, then you know the film maker has done a good job.

Great post, I agree with you as well. The most graphic scenes can ruin the emotional impact.

• 1 year later...

I get REALLY wound up at rape scenes, dont know why but it angers me so so much i have to leave a room if one comes on. The this is England one was grim but even in The Walking Dead gravic novels there is a frame were Michonne is brutally raped and one were Ricks 7 year old boy is almost raped by a group of out back inbred types and i had to walk away from the book for several minutes to get myself 'right'. Dont think ill ever except it in films or books or anything but im glad as i think no normal person should be able to watch that sort of thing without whincing.

Best rape scene should go to French movie "Baise moi" which literally translates "Rape me". In the rape scene you can see dick and shit, no censorship bullshit. The movie in general was crap, I'd prefer to see something with real content.