Shevchenko Wants Continuity

BlueLion.

Andriy Shevchenko believes that he should not be judged as a failure until he has had an extended run in the Chelsea first team.

The Ukrainian striker has seen his time in England blighted by injuries and a lack of form since his move from Milan, and has been the subject of widespread criticism at times.

Despite his problems Shevchenko still grabbed 14 goals in all competitions last season and has a further seven in 17 games this campaign.

The former European Footballer of the Year feels that makes him a bigger success than he has been given credit for and believes that a prolonged spell in the first team would allow him to recapture his form of old.

Continuity

"In my first year I scored 14 goals. Admittedly that is not the 30 I scored at Milan, but I did not do as badly as people were making out," the Blues striker told Corriere della Sera.

"The real problem is that I cannot find any continuity.

"I was doing well this season, scoring seven goals in my last 10 matches, but then I suffered a back injury and will be on the sidelines for a month.

"Before I am judged I would like to enjoy a decent run in the side now that I have adapted to English football.

"Italian football is about tactics and logic, whereas England is different, it is all about speed and instinct."

Milan speculation

Shevchenko had been linked with a return to Milan in the past when it appeared that he was struggling to get to grips with the English game but the player has dismissed those rumours and is adamant that he is happy at Stamford Bridge.

"Am I looking for a return to AC? No," he said.

"I am happy here and want to stay. It is useless to look to the past.

"I could return in the future if I choose to stay in football, but at the moment I am planning on helping my own country once I retire."

Source: Sky Sports

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't disagree with what he says. He didn't get credit for scoring as many goals as he did last season. Similar record to Crespo who was very highly regarded by the Chelsea fans. And he did just start to hit form when injury hit him again.

With Anelka in unless we start to play 2 up top then he will struggle even more to find time to get a run in the team.

Can't disagree with what he says. He didn't get credit for scoring as many goals as he did last season. Similar record to Crespo who was very highly regarded by the Chelsea fans. And he did just start to hit form when injury hit him again.

With Anelka in unless we start to play 2 up top then he will struggle even more to find time to get a run in the team.

Maybe thats the problem because the fans expected him to bag 30 goals on his opening season....which is stupid because he changed league's...and the Italian league and the Premiership are two worlds.I am satisfied by Sheva he tryes hard and is a great guy,he will be a major force for us this year for sure.