Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee
Followers 0

He should not have been sent off but what's more worrying is his slight regression in defensive ability. Under Carlo he was an absolute rock of a man, but now he loves to get foward a tad too often.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An actual legend of the club. He played a key role in many of Chelsea's successes and he can be very proud of himself. Went from a complete nobody when he first arrived to one of the first names on th

Says it all. Get out of my club you absolute helmet. He's been useless defensively for a while now but his goals/assist tally saved him last season. I actually laughed when this happened, totally ut

i cant say it better...

Posted Images

The moment I saw him clip Young I knew it was trouble. He shouldn't have gone so close to a notorious cheat like Young, he should have known better. He was on his stinky left foot, he would have probably blasted it wide or straight at Cech. A hard decision for the ref to make, I'll give him that. In the end I think it was a mistake both by the ref and Ivanovic.

Poor Brana. The replay's convinced me that he didn't make any sufficient contact with Young. In fact, he did all he could to not make any contact. I wonder if there's any chance the club will make an appeal.

He'll be banned for the Capital One Cup game and that's it. Professional foul is a one game ban, so it's no big deal.

He should not have been sent off but what's more worrying is his slight regression in defensive ability. Under Carlo he was an absolute rock of a man, but now he loves to get foward a tad too often.

Does he have a choice? We are now relying on our FBs to provide the width again since we are playing narrowly with Oscar, Hazard and Mata. And yeah, his defensively abilities have gone down the drain a bit. Has struggled against pacey wide players and even when going forward, he doesn't offer much. His crosses are just mostly woeful. Would really like to see Azpilicueta been given a chance in the first team more but doubt we are gonna see that. RDM will continue to persist with the same players for almost every game.

• Like 1

How many games is he suspended for?

Just 1. So will miss the clash against United on Wednesday. Doubt he would have played anyway.

• Like 1

Does he have a choice? We are now relying on our FBs to provide the width again since we are playing narrowly with Oscar, Hazard and Mata. And yeah, his defensively abilities have gone down the drain a bit. Has struggled against pacey wide players and even when going forward, he doesn't offer much. His crosses are just mostly woeful. Would really like to see Azpilicueta been given a chance in the first team more but doubt we are gonna see that. RDM will continue to persist with the same players for almost every game.

Think Ivanovic's crossing is underrated. http://www.eplindex.com/14552/premier-league-team-of-the-year-based-on-statistics-part-1-defence-opta-stats.html/2

Agree that Ivanovic's defensive positioning has been poor this season but some of that as you say, is not his fault. The team plays so narrow up front that Cole and Ivanovic have to get forward to create width. It bothers me when we concede goals and everyone automatically blames the defensive players. Sometimes, it is their fault, but sometimes, it isn't. Football tactics are dominoes. One player is out of position so another has to cover and then another is left exposed in a dangerous area...It takes a team to attack or defend properly. (That's not to say that there aren't individual errors of course!)

He'll be banned for the Capital One Cup game and that's it. Professional foul is a one game ban, so it's no big deal.

Really? I thought all straight reds were automatically subject to a 3+ match ban. Anyway, that's good.

Can't blame Branna here, had to sprint against one of the fastest players in EPL 1v1 obviously he wouldn't make it.For me its Cahill's fault 100%, the way RVP owned him was disastrous.

• Like 1

Think Ivanovic's crossing is underrated. http://www.eplindex....ta-stats.html/2

Agree that Ivanovic's defensive positioning has been poor this season but some of that as you say, is not his fault. The team plays so narrow up front that Cole and Ivanovic have to get forward to create width. It bothers me when we concede goals and everyone automatically blames the defensive players. Sometimes, it is their fault, but sometimes, it isn't. Football tactics are dominoes. One player is out of position so another has to cover and then another is left exposed in a dangerous area...It takes a team to attack or defend properly. (That's not to say that there aren't individual errors of course!)

Stats don't always tell the whole story. That cross for Torres's goal against Norwich was his first quality one in ages. Otherwise, most of his crosses these days always hit an opposition player before it even reaches the intended target! You only have to look back at the 2009/10 season and look at the vast difference in quality of the crosses between then and now. As for his defending, yes sometimes it's also the team's fault when we concede certain goals but you also cannot ignore his individual performance. He has struggled dealing with quick and tricky wide players in recent times and his tendency to allow a cross to come in so easily is extremely annoying and smacks of poor defending!

Stats don't always tell the whole story. That cross for Torres's goal against Norwich was his first quality one in ages. Otherwise, most of his crosses these days always hit an opposition player before it even reaches the intended target! You only have to look back at the 2009/10 season and look at the vast difference in quality of the crosses between then and now. As for his defending, yes sometimes it's also the team's fault when we concede certain goals but you also cannot ignore his individual performance. He has struggled dealing with quick and tricky wide players in recent times and his tendency to allow a cross to come in so easily is extremely annoying and smacks of poor defending!

iva's defending has dipped a little this season but so has the cover for him. mata , hazard dont track back leaving both our wingers very exposed on numerous occasion. like yesterday's first goal in which cole n iva were both ahead (seems to be the plan that they should provide the width). so its not all brana's fault. when he is given a proper cover like in the arsenal match, he put in a brilliant shift.

His foul was one of the most stupid moves a player made in a Chelsea shirt in recent years.

If if Young had scored, we had enough time and quality to win the match.

And yes, that was a foul and there was contact between two players, it was the same way Barcelonas' player got the red for making a foul in Anelka in that infamous match. Dont remember right now if was Abidal or Toure.

• Like 1

At least Cesar will get a chance to shine now.

Not really. Ivanovic is only suspended for 1 game and Cesar was always likely to start against United anyway.

I wouldn't slate him for his often forward runs, it's obvious it's something Di Matteo either asked or encouraged.

Being asked I would say. We are playing narrow with Oscar, Hazard and Mata and we need our FBs to provide the width.

And yes, that was a foul and there was contact between two players, it was the same way Barcelonas' player got the red for making a foul in Anelka in that infamous match. Dont remember right now if was Abidal or Toure.

Abidal.

I think Robbie has been clever slowly integrating Cesar, Moses and Marin in.

Too much change in one go isn't good, so far the new players playing regularly are Hazard and Oscar, right now Hazard, Oscar and Mata are a trio causing havoc to other teams, eventually teams will 'wise up' to it a bit more then Robbie will start introducing the width, which will be Marin and Moses.

Azpi aswell will have a very big future here, but Robbie is slowly integrating him, remember Ivanovic took over a year to settle properly and find consistency in his performances.

Eventually Moses, Marin and Azpi will be fully integrated in the squad but for now im just happy witnessing Hazard and Oscar settling like a duck to water.