Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Jocktopus8

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I came out thinking 'meh' in all honesty.

I personally love the series, I started reading the books about 10 years ago now, and I remember feeling really proud to have read through the Goblet of Fire, which was by far the biggest book I'd ever tried reading when I was a kid! Even as a teenager I enjoyed reading the later instalments.

With the films, its been a different story, I think they've very much gone downhill since GoF. The first two films had such a wonderful charm about them, and the Prizoner of Azkaban was a lot of fun as well. GoF was a fantastic book and an even better movie, it was enjoyable from start to finish. But as the films have got darker and more serious, they've lost their cutting edge. It's very much the same story with the Narnia films; Prince Caspian was a darker story and thus less enjoyable. Don't get more wrong, the Deathly Hallows is a decent book and the first half of the film was good, but it was nothing greater than good. There were some excellent parts, such as the meeting at Malfoy Manor at the beginning with Voldemort and his lieutenants, and the various encounters with the Horcruxes were entertaining also. Dobby's death was also quite emotional and it gave an apt sense of purpose to the character, who I loved in the Chamber of Secrets. But other periods, such as the time where Harry, Ron and Hermione are just sitting in a tent or are walking through some woods make for very tedious and repetitive scenes. I appreciate this film is setting up the climax - but the problem is the Order of the Phoenix and the Half-Blood Prince did exactly the same. Some excellent parts, the rest as boring as hell.

I think its a decent film and I'd probably give it a 7/10, but nothing more. Pretty unspectacular and not at all worth the hype.

Enjoyed it myself. One of the better adaptations of the series. The films never seem to catch the essense of the books and change things that don't need to be changed. As BlueLion said the first 2 films were very well done (although the shortest books and easiest to adapt) Azkaban was destroyed by the scriptwriter and missed one of the most important points of that book. Like i said the films never quite capture the feeling of the books but i think Dealthly Hallows part one was one of the better adaptations so far. Hopefully the second part will be just as good. For some reason the Harry Potter scriptwriters feel they have to change too much even though these books are as popular as they are for a reason, where other book series (twilight for example) are much more faithful adaptations and keep the essence of the book in the films.

I quite liked it.Havent read the book for yonks so didnt notice bits being missed lol.Whereas with the others you kinda know right away.

Dont get why people cried when Dobby died :S its a CGI do dah!! Or Im just heartless lol

Think the worse was the 'is it gana end now part'kinda hmmmmmm here or here...ooooo it ends here

But long bloody wait!!