Emenalo appointed assistant

EMENALO APPOINTED ASSISTANT

Posted on: Thu 18 Nov 2010 Chelsea Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Michael Emenalo to the position of Assistant First Team Coach. He moves up from his previous position of Head Opposition Scout.

Michael has been an important part of the first team management structure since his arrival in October 2007, and his promotion to Assistant First Team Coach is recognition of his efforts to date.

Michael will continue to oversee the first team scouting operation as he makes the transition to coaching. He will split the initial period between assisting First Team Coach Carlo Ancelotti and updating his coaching qualifications as he takes on this bigger and more influential role.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EMENALO APPOINTED ASSISTANT

Posted on: Thu 18 Nov 2010 Chelsea Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Michael Emenalo to the position of Assistant First Team Coach. He moves up from his previous position of Head Opposition Scout.

Michael has been an important part of the first team management structure since his arrival in October 2007, and his promotion to Assistant First Team Coach is recognition of his efforts to date.

Michael will continue to oversee the first team scouting operation as he makes the transition to coaching. He will split the initial period between assisting First Team Coach Carlo Ancelotti and updating his coaching qualifications as he takes on this bigger and more influential role.

just read that ...makes me more confused as to why Ray left

Hope this is a fruitful move. Have to say I don't know much about Michael, but I like his scouting background.

He must have some promise to beat Clements to the job, wish him luck but not sure its the right move, feel like we need someone more experienced in playing the game. lets hope he proves me wrong

This appointment is not good news in my opinion. It shows where the choice to give Wilkins the boot came from and a sign that the Chelsea top brass wanted one of "their" men involved in the first team coaching staff. This is by no means the best move for the team on any footballing level whatsoever. If we was planning to bring in someone better than Ray then fine but this takes the biscuit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8127546/Chelsea-consider-promoting-Michael-Emenalo-to-replace-Ray-Wilkins.html

Guys this is Old news, Apparently he was always the favorite, Apparently hes a Roman 'Favorite'. I have my full faith in this move and we all should!

0,,10268%7E9212870,00.jpg

Michael Emenalo - Assistant first team coach

Michael Emenalo moved up from his previous position of head opposition scout in November 2010.

He has been an important part of the first team management structure since his arrival in October 2007, and his promotion to assistant first team coach was recognition of his efforts.

He continues to oversee the first team scouting operation as he makes the transition to coaching. He splits the initial period between assisting Carlo Ancelotti and updating his coaching qualifications as he takes on a bigger and more influential role.

He arrived at Chelsea when former manager Avram Grant called upon a trusted ex-player from his Maccabi Tel Aviv days.

The pair worked together between 1998 and 2000, the tail end of a playing career for the former Nigerian international, who made his debut in 1985.

A defender, he moved to the United States in 1986 where he graduated from Boston University three years later with a degree in international relations with political sciences, having also played college soccer.

His football career continued in Belgium and Germany before a short spell in England at Notts County in the mid 1990s, where he won the Anglo-Italian Cup at Wembley.

Michael then returned to the States where he played in the first ever MLS game for San Jose Clash.

After one season, it was back to Europe and a year in the Spanish second division with Llieda, managed by current Sevilla coach Juande Ramos. Then came the move to Israel.

Michael won 14 caps for Nigeria in total and played in the 1994 World Cup in the USA, missing the first game through injury but then playing against Argentina and Greece before he was knocked out by a Roberto Baggio-inspired Italy.

After hanging up his boots, Michael spent time coaching in America.

Doubt he'll make much of a difference. That position has always seemed over-appreciated to me.

Nevertheless I wish him good luck and I hope his appointment is nothing like Grant's appointment a few years back.

I'd like to link you to Dan Levene's article only a day after Ray's sacking @ fulhamchronicle.co.uk

Abramovich's man: Michael Emenalo

Michael Who? Emenalo was appointed as a scout under Avram Grant's tenure as Chelsea manager, and has impressed many at the club since – notably owner Roman Abramovich. An occasional Nigerian international who played under Grant at Maccabi Tel Aviv, he is said to be keen to back to coaching.

But why would one of the biggest clubs in the world sack a known and respected assistant, and replace him with a journeyman defender from the Israeli league?

The word currently doing the rounds in some quarters is explosive: that Carlo Ancelotti's days at Stamford Bridge may be numbered. Specifically, they say, they are numbered to the last day of the season: after which a club from the north with lots of cash would like to put a proposition to him. Thus, Chelsea are already looking towards next season.

There is speculation within the corridors of Cobham that Pep Guardiola and his Barcelona management team are being tentatively lined-up to replace Ancelotti's outfit, and that Emenalo may be promoted to assistant to perform a supervisory role like Grant previously did when Jose Mourinho was boss.

If this is an accurate explanation, then the next man who should be fearful of his position is Chelsea director of football Frank Arnesen: who may soon find the name on his office door replaced by that of his former Barcelona equivalent Txiki Begiristain.

Guys this is Old news, Apparently he was always the favorite, Apparently hes a Roman 'Favorite'. I have my full faith in this move and we all should!

The trouble is there is nothing to have faith in. He is not a coach, his only coaching experience is with an American girls team, he is there purely as the boards eyes and ears. This is in no way good for the club, this was not a choice made with the footballing side of the club in mind. Where is the logic of appointing someone who has minimal coaching experience to the Premiership champions - it's bonkers

Doubt he'll make much of a difference. That position has always seemed over-appreciated to me.

Nevertheless I wish him good luck and I hope his appointment is nothing like Grant's appointment a few years back.

I'd like to link you to Dan Levene's article only a day after Ray's sacking @ fulhamchronicle.co.uk

that was a wonderful piece of speculation....

Would have preferred it if Zola took the job, or Steve Clarke to make a return, this move seems a bit rushed, they could have at leasted given it some more thought!

Maybe it wasn't even rushed.

It was pre-planned.

Nothing changes for me because Michael Emenalo started to work with me when I came here last year and he was involved and supported me for every game.

He will not be involved in the training because I have Paul Clement and he will maintain the same position. Now Emenalo has a formal position of assistant first team coach but he was an assistant all last year so nothing changes It was not my decision but he has been working with me for one and a half years and was a fantastic support last season as an opposition scout.

He was involved in our meetings and he will do the same in the future. He will support the team by being close to me in the tactical situations.

So much drama over nothing..