LDN Blue

I dont know if anybody saw it last night but Germany entered a masterclass in their 3-0 destruction of The Netherlands. It was absolutely sublime, at times jaw dropping football from the Germans, their 3 goals were of the highest quality (the first two in particular are as good as it gets), everything they did was crisp, quick and stylish. Not only that but they did it without the heartbeat of their team, Bastian Schweinsteiger, and their captain, Philip Lahm, not to mention they didn't even find a need to use arguably the best striker in Europe this season, Mario Gomez. With the vast quality in depth they have, the incredible players at their disposal (Muller, Ozil, Klose, Khedira and Kroos were all standouts last night) and their style of playing combined with the expcted German team ethic, they are, and have been for a couple of years, my pick to win the Euros.

I dont know if anybody saw it last night but Germany entered a masterclass in their 3-0 destruction of The Netherlands. It was absolutely sublime, at times jaw dropping football from the Germans, their 3 goals were of the highest quality (the first two in particular are as good as it gets), everything they did was crisp, quick and stylish. Not only that but they did it without the heartbeat of their team, Bastian Schweinsteiger, and their captain, Philip Lahm, not to mention they didn't even find a need to use arguably the best striker in Europe this season, Mario Gomez. With the vast quality in depth they have, the incredible players at their disposal (Muller, Ozil, Klose, Khedira and Kroos were all standouts last night) and their style of playing combined with the expcted German team ethic, they are, and have been for a couple of years, my pick to win the Euros.

They were indeed great yesterday, very deadly on the break. And last night highlighted that while Gomez, who's the best pure number 9 around imo, is of a higher class than Klose as a striker, Klose's mobility, link-up play and his great eye for a free team mate still makes him the better choice for the starting CF spot. Simply because with him, they make a better team. And it's not like he's less of a goal-scorer than Gomez for the German NT.. the opposite even.

Van Marwijk should be getting a lot more out of this team, his choices still baffle me. Dirk Kuyt is still a starter when he never should've been one in the first place.. he keeps playing two defensive midfielders who seriously lack mobility and never track the players their supposed to mark (it's like having two Mikel's) and it's not like they don't make up for it by doing something else really well.. Sneijder is untouchable for the number 10 spot yet he's always to be found very near to the two DMs which always leaves the lone striker isolated.. while it would all be so much easier with one pure DM (Nigel de Jong) with someone in a deep play-maker role next to him (Sneijder would be ideal for that role).

I know he led the team to the finals but everything went right that tournament while the competition was poor except for Spain and Germany, who met in the semi-final.

Spain is still my pick for victory. The amount of world-class and class players they posses is unheard of, their only problem is Del Bosque's weird choices as he forgets you can't pass your way into the goal. While he can get so much out of his team by playing with one DM instead of two. They're just the right line-up away from glory imo.

Germany a close second for me but their defence is still too weak while their build-up from the back is terrible. Pressure their back-line and the team falls into pieces. Though their effenciency is terrifying..

The Republic of Ireland beat Estonia 4-0 away in the Euro 2012 play-off first leg. :D Keith Andrews scored early enough in the first half with a header. Jonathan Walters headed in too about mid way through the second half after a sloppy save attempt from Pareiko, the Estonian 'keeper. Robbie Keane soon followed with a goal and scored again from the penalty spot in the 88th minute. Damien Duff took a bit of a knock, but they say he should be fit for Tuesday's second leg in the Aviva.

Not a good night for Estonia at all and while they probably could have had some chances of their own, as the second half went on, it just seemed to get worse. Along with that scoreline, they were reduced to nine men while three others got yellow cards as well.

Viktor Kassai is a bitch

Completely agree, but I guess it's there to make them happy as they have an easier chance of making it through to the knockout rounds :doh:

Sometimes benefits to host a tournament shame that wont be the case for us after our failed world cup bid. Whoever we get there will be the hype and disappointment as always. if there was less pressure/expectation i think we would get much further in tournaments.

• 3 months later...

• International Friendly Matches
    Tuesday, 28 February 2012
    Serbia v Armenia
    Brazil v Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Wednesday, 29 February 2012
    Chile v Ghana
    El Salvador v Estonia
    New Zealand v Jamaica
    Ecuador v Honduras
    El Salvador v Estonia
    Cyprus v Serbia