LDN Blue

3 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

Portugal are surprisingly good so far.

why surprising (not that I think they have been THAT great)?

look at their attackers

Bruno Fernandes
Cristiano Ronaldo
Gonçalo Guedes
Bernardo Silva

if that lot doesn't get you a tonne of shots on goal, something is really wrong

plus they have two really aggressive fullbacks

and on the bench the most aggressive RB in the world atm, Cancelo

plus they can toss in the 19yo wild card Joao Felix

and pull one of their two pure defensive MFers (Danilo Pereira and William Carvalho, who are clones of each other) and bring on long range bomber Rúben Neves

24 minutes ago, Vesper said:

why surprising (not that I think they have been THAT great)?

look at their attackers

Bruno Fernandes
Cristiano Ronaldo
Gonçalo Guedes
Bernardo Silva

if that lot doesn't get you a tonne of shots on goal, something is really wrong

plus they have two really aggressive fullbacks

and on the bench the most aggressive RB in the world atm, Cancelo

plus they can toss in the 19yo wild card Joao Felix

and pull one of their two pure defensive MFers (Danilo Pereira and William Carvalho, who are clones of each other) and bring on long range bomber Rúben Neves

Whenever I saw them in the last couple of months they were not really good, including the 2016 Euros which I still don't know how they won.

But today they are great and deserve to win.

24 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

Whenever I saw them in the last couple of months they were not really good, including the 2016 Euros which I still don't know how they won.

Dutch were spent at the end, had one less day to recover, plus lots of players went deep into the CL and league cups/league play

they need to find an upgrade at fullback (especially LB) and striker and another creative MFer

This is by far the best Portugal team I’ve seen by far. I still think they are short of challenging for a WC win mostly because of depth and weaknesses in certain areas, but definitely good players all over who need to be scouted.

carvalho does look PL made with all that power and good on the ball.

guedes what a shot! 

On the other end, Netherlands looked poor in certain areas, esp the right side. They had spaces on the wings but the balls in had little to no real quality. Perhaps just youth and they still need to improve.

3 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

2016 was an ugly tournament. Teams were playing ultra defensive. Pretty much Portugal won it by drawing their games all the way to final. They even finished 3rd in their group.

Btw this Portugal team looks interesting. They have always been decent defensively which is pretty much everything in international football. Plus offensively CR is not even their best player, Bernardo Silva is imo their best player. 

1 hour ago, communicate said:

2016 was an ugly tournament. Teams were playing ultra defensive. Pretty much Portugal won it by drawing their games all the way to final. They even finished 3rd in their group.

Btw this Portugal team looks interesting. They have always been decent defensively which is pretty much everything in international football. Plus offensively CR is not even their best player, Bernardo Silva is imo their best player. 

Fernandes looks unique too. He just takes the shots like players used to do in the past. Nowdays everyone just dribbles passes into the goal instead of shooting here and there. 

I remember watching football as a kid and the best players on the teams were trying to score from anywhere. It was a joy to watch. Nowdays all we see are tactics. Dribble to win a faul, pass to score in open goal,...its all the same. Obviously there is efficiency in there, but nowhere near entertaining.

When Bruno took like 5 shots in first half only,  I immediately remembered the times when best players did that in every game.