LDN Blue

James Rodriguez still got it. 3 assists already. Duran can't even start for Colombia who with Uruguay looks very good. I think this could be the tournament where Brazil and Argentina stay empty hands. 

21 hours ago, robsblubot said:

They have no business in the knockout stages of Copa America until they can consistently beat the likes of Panama. The same applies to Mexico, who are really a tier 3 team just like the US.

if memory serves, didn't Panama knock the US out of the World Cup finals qualification some years ago with some upset?

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

if memory serves, didn't Panama knock the US out of the World Cup finals qualification some years ago with some upset?

Maybe... 😉 and if so, my point exactly.

4 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

James Rodriguez still got it. 3 assists already. Duran can't even start for Colombia who with Uruguay looks very good. I think this could be the tournament where Brazil and Argentina stay empty hands. 

He only plays well for Colombia. I think the reason is that the whole team plays for him and he's simply not good enough for a big team to do the same.

47 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Uruguay are playing great

Yeah they are always somewhat strong; they often have gaping holes in the squad tho, which makes them less of favorites against Arg and Bra, but I like their style. South of Brazil is a big fan of Uruguay in general.

8 hours ago, Vesper said:

Correct. The year they went to the WC & literally gifted Kane the golden boot.

Edited by LAM09

On 26/06/2024 at 01:42, bluesman2610 said:

Jonathan David with well taken goal vs Peru

1:0 Canada

Congrats. Knockout stage. This is big success. With Venezuela most likely next you have great chance to reach semi final. I consider Canada favorites there. They are not better than Chile and Peru who you already eliminated. 

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Congrats. Knockout stage. This is big success. With Venezuela most likely next you have great chance to reach semi final. I consider Canada favorites there. They are not better than Chile and Peru who you already eliminated. 

We have played Venezuela once in the past and it didn't go well for us. We need more scoring we have 1 goal all tournament which is not going to be enough.

Posted (edited)

Copa América: USA captain Pulisic 'can't accept' ref's calls

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40479319/usa-captain-pulisic-accept-ref-calls

r1353405_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- United States captain Christian Pulisic was clear in stating that he did not believe officiating was to blame for his team's group-stage exit at Copa América, but he was baffled by the decisions made in Monday's 1-0 loss to Uruguay at Arrowhead Stadium, a result that sealed the Americans' fate.

"Honestly, I mean I saw things that I've never seen before right in front of my eyes today that I just I truly I can't believe," Pulisic told reporters. "It's not why we lost; we're not out of this tournament because of officiating.

"But really, I've just seen things that I just really -- I mean I think everyone can just give admit I don't know what I'm looking at. I don't know what they're calling. I don't know what he's -- he gives no explanation. He's doing things that I just can't accept."

Referee Kevin Ortega was seen on camera refusing to shake Pulisic's hand following the final whistle after Pulisic appeared to first gesture something to him from a distance.

"He wouldn't shake my hand. It's normal -- I mean, I guess."

Uruguay defender Mathías Olivera scored the only goal of the game in the 66th minute. Olivera appeared to be in an offside position when the ball was flicked on, but a lengthy VAR review confirmed the goal without sending Ortega to the video monitor. Replays showed an indiscernible amount of overlap between Olivera's body and the foot of USMNT defender Chris Richards, who ostensibly held the Uruguayan onside.

"It's pretty crazy, really," USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter said of the call. "I don't understand it. You know, I feel like I know the rule pretty well. I feel like we had the pictures that are showing how the rule could be interpreted and it's an offside goal. It's disappointing, it really is, but you know, that happens in football and we have to live with it, obviously."

There were several controversial no calls throughout Monday's match, but the oddest moment outside of the goal came in the 32nd minute, when Ortega pulled out a yellow card to issue to Richards. Uruguay went to play the free kick quickly, and, before fully extending his arm to raise the yellow card, Ortega raised his other arm to indicate a "play on" signal. Nahitan Nández was in behind on goal but scuffed his shot.

The game is typically held up when a yellow card is being issued so that the referee can record the booking. Several U.S. players argued with Ortega after the play. Adams said after the match it was the "first time I'd ever seen" an incident like that.

The 1-0 loss, combined with Panama's 3-1 win over Bolívia in a simultaneous match, left the USMNT third in the group. It is the first time the U.S. has failed to advance from the group stage of a Copa America, Gold Cup or World Cup played on home soil. The U.S. will co-host the 2026 World Cup.

Edited by Vesper

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

cjnqnu3pkeeshgqchn7b.jpg

Brazil going on Uruguay without Vini. Jr after another draw. That should be their end.

Enzo vs Caicedo.

Vini has been playing like shit, so not sure it's such a big loss. Arguably a PK call on him in the first half tho. Was watching him closely today: great player for sure, just nowhere near CR7 and Messi, and that won't change with time-that tight control Naymar has just isn't there.
tbf it's a new coach and there is no team yet -- colombia were better from start to finish. James sits on the bench for Sao Paulo FC in Brazil and dominated against all these PL mids. Luis Diaz was really a handful as well.
Endrik looked better in 10 min than Vini and Rodrygo all match. Good game tho, esp if you support colombia.

Uruguay are slight favs esp with Bielsa at the helm, but I still think it's more like a 50/50... and, like much of the south, I'm very far from being a staunch Brazil fan.
I'm so sick of these "old school" brazilian coaches tho... not even toing to go about their tactics -- that should be self-evident given that not a single Brazil manager crosses the border -- but just their demeanor, attire, and complaining about ridiculous things during the entire match... embarrassing. 

Edited by robsblubot

13 hours ago, Vesper said:

Copa América: USA captain Pulisic 'can't accept' ref's calls

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40479319/usa-captain-pulisic-accept-ref-calls

r1353405_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- United States captain Christian Pulisic was clear in stating that he did not believe officiating was to blame for his team's group-stage exit at Copa América, but he was baffled by the decisions made in Monday's 1-0 loss to Uruguay at Arrowhead Stadium, a result that sealed the Americans' fate.

"Honestly, I mean I saw things that I've never seen before right in front of my eyes today that I just I truly I can't believe," Pulisic told reporters. "It's not why we lost; we're not out of this tournament because of officiating.

"But really, I've just seen things that I just really -- I mean I think everyone can just give admit I don't know what I'm looking at. I don't know what they're calling. I don't know what he's -- he gives no explanation. He's doing things that I just can't accept."

Referee Kevin Ortega was seen on camera refusing to shake Pulisic's hand following the final whistle after Pulisic appeared to first gesture something to him from a distance.

"He wouldn't shake my hand. It's normal -- I mean, I guess."

Uruguay defender Mathías Olivera scored the only goal of the game in the 66th minute. Olivera appeared to be in an offside position when the ball was flicked on, but a lengthy VAR review confirmed the goal without sending Ortega to the video monitor. Replays showed an indiscernible amount of overlap between Olivera's body and the foot of USMNT defender Chris Richards, who ostensibly held the Uruguayan onside.

"It's pretty crazy, really," USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter said of the call. "I don't understand it. You know, I feel like I know the rule pretty well. I feel like we had the pictures that are showing how the rule could be interpreted and it's an offside goal. It's disappointing, it really is, but you know, that happens in football and we have to live with it, obviously."

There were several controversial no calls throughout Monday's match, but the oddest moment outside of the goal came in the 32nd minute, when Ortega pulled out a yellow card to issue to Richards. Uruguay went to play the free kick quickly, and, before fully extending his arm to raise the yellow card, Ortega raised his other arm to indicate a "play on" signal. Nahitan Nández was in behind on goal but scuffed his shot.

The game is typically held up when a yellow card is being issued so that the referee can record the booking. Several U.S. players argued with Ortega after the play. Adams said after the match it was the "first time I'd ever seen" an incident like that.

The 1-0 loss, combined with Panama's 3-1 win over Bolívia in a simultaneous match, left the USMNT third in the group. It is the first time the U.S. has failed to advance from the group stage of a Copa America, Gold Cup or World Cup played on home soil. The U.S. will co-host the 2026 World Cup.

😆

USMNT was the worst team in this competition excluding Bolivia of course... and Bolivia, like I said, can only play above 3km high.
They managed to lose to Panama and in a game they needed to win against an Uruguay who did not have that much to play for, did not get their goalie to work at all.
It was a pretty poor display, and I understand Pulisic as he can't say what he really thinks, the obvious fact he plays alone, but announcers should know better; blame the coach all you want, but their attack is a desert. Pulisic often has to drop back thru the middle to get things going to, which puts him too far from the opposition goal. USMNT is really an awful team and the results only reflect that.

3 hours ago, robsblubot said:

😆

USMNT was the worst team in this competition excluding Bolivia of course... 

This is clearly exaggeration. USA beats Panama most of the time. That was big upset and red card played major part. 

For sure better than Jamaica, Paraguay, Peru... On paper they are top 4 with Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. 

Most importantly they reached knockout phase last 3 World Cups with last one being just year and a half ago. That was major success. 

Anyway, Copa should continue every time with this system. 

6 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

This is clearly exaggeration. USA beats Panama most of the time. That was big upset and red card played major part. 

For sure better than Jamaica, Paraguay, Peru... On paper they are top 4 with Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. 

Most importantly they reached knockout phase last 3 World Cups with last one being just year and a half ago. That was major success. 

Anyway, Copa should continue every time with this system. 

Stand by a what I said heh. I don’t think past achievements matter one bit do they? Did you not concur this was one of the worst Brazilian sides, so why past achievements should matter for the US team? 

I was only referring to the level of play on display esp quality shown in the final third. In the at regard they did not deserve any better.

8 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Panama pipped USA to a WC 2018 place (as touched upon by Vesper), so I'd say they clearly have the upper hand.