Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Homosexuality in Football

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found this interesting read about gay players: http://en.wikipedia....nglish_football

is the game ready for gays to come out of the closet? tbf i dont give a shit if he play well for us. id rather have a great gay player than a shite straight player.

rip justin fashanu

I don't have a problem with it. But as a player i could imagine it doesn't feel that comfortable with showering etc :P

Anyone who has anything against gay people has something wrong with them. Its simply prejudice; in exactly the same way that there are racists and sexists, there are homophobes who are scared by gay people because they're different to what thousands of years of male-dominated society has dictated to be the 'norm.'

I wouldn't give a shit if one of our players were gay, I really wouldn't. It doesn't affect me at all.

In fact I almost wish there would be a gay footballer in the Premier League who came out. It would do wonders for people 'in the closet' I reckon; it would inspire them and show them there's nothing to be afraid about just because they're homosexual.

Plus can I also say this is a great idea for a discussion, well done. Also if there are any homophobic remarks posted I will not stand for it, I have a friend who nearly took his life because of the physical and psychological harm he's suffered because he's gay.

Anyone who has anything against gay people has something wrong with them. Its simply prejudice; in exactly the same way that there are racists and sexists, there are homophobes who are scared by gay people because they're different to what thousands of years of male-dominated society has dictated to be the 'norm.'

I wouldn't give a shit if one of our players were gay, I really wouldn't. It doesn't affect me at all.

In fact I almost wish there would be a gay footballer in the Premier League who came out. It would do wonders for people 'in the closet' I reckon; it would inspire them and show them there's nothing to be afraid about just because they're homosexual.

Plus can I also say this is a great idea for a discussion, well done. Also if there are any homophobic remarks posted I will not stand for it, I have a friend who nearly took his life because of the physical and psychological harm he's suffered because he's gay.

Justin Fashanu

justin_fashanu1.jpg

He committed suicide after coming out.

Being gay myself, I can see society is changing, but its a long way off before homosexuality would be fully accepted and not 'ridiculed' in football. They'll always be the odd idiot who thinks shouting homophobic abuse is hilarious and they'll be others to laugh and add to it. Just look at Arsenal on Sunday who's fans attempted to start the rather pathetic "Ashley's got aids" chant.

Fully understand why footballers don't 'come out'. I found it a nightmare to do and my personal life isn't splashed across the news for 60 million people to see.

But we have openly gay people in every other entertainment industry except football, which is a shame.

And as the blogger said, RIP Fash.

I think Le Saux was abused over some gay rumours once by Robbie Keane, I think Le Saux reacted by kicking him one. But this example (true or not, if Le Saux was gay), is the reason why I don't think footballers would admit they're gay. We still have racism to this day and that problem doesn't seem like going away. Homosexual players may fear (rationally) that fans and, perhaps, their team mates will not understand them and often abuse them over it.

I hope I'm proved wrong one day, but like DavidEU said "They'll always be the odd idiot who thinks shouting homophobic abuse is hilarious and they'll be others to laugh and add to it"

I do not have anything against gay people what so ever. I do believe though that homosexuality is a sin, but i would never in my life try and offend someone because they are gay, not for me to judge only god can judge.

I think Le Saux was abused over some gay rumours once by Robbie Keane, I think Le Saux reacted by kicking him one. But this example (true or not, if Le Saux was gay), is the reason why I don't think footballers would admit they're gay. We still have racism to this day and that problem doesn't seem like going away. Homosexual players may fear (rationally) that fans and, perhaps, their team mates will not understand them and often abuse them over it.

I hope I'm proved wrong one day, but like DavidEU said "They'll always be the odd idiot who thinks shouting homophobic abuse is hilarious and they'll be others to laugh and add to it"

it was robbie fowler....

I have no problem with homosexuality in football as one of the posters said [bloddy id rather have A brillant gay player than a shit straight one

Problems is theres A load of ignorant arrogant fans who satisfy themselfs by using homophobic Abuse And this scares the homosexual players Usually most of the people i know who use homophobic abuse usually wear shit stained pants and live in A flat in A scummy Area And no one likes them except their scummy friends

I would love to see some gay players come out. Although with the ignorant morons you have in the sport these days it's not likely to happen anytime soon. There must be a few playing in the premiership maybe they're some of the top players as well. Their sexual preference has got nothing to do with what they do on the pitch they'd still be the same guy at the end of the day.

Maybe we'll see some coming out after retirement.

Started a thread similar to this on the old Talk chelsea site. ...It was deleted after a while.

Conservative estimates put 1 in 30 are gay...thats a hell of a lot of gay footballers waiting to come out.

Unfortunately Football is one of those last bastions of macho culture where players wouldnt feel comfortable about coming out. That said, the authorities, Blatter etc probably dead against it. You have institutional racism , and doubtless theres institutional homophobia.

It would be intresting to see a high profile player come out obviously there will be the odd bit of abuse but i think the majority of supporters wouldnt even comment on it. Max Clifford has advised 2 big named footballers to stay quiet untill retirement and didnt Ballacks agent accuse half the German team of being gay after the world cup?

Justin Fashanu

justin_fashanu1.jpg

He committed suicide after coming out.

to be fair tho his suicide happened 12 years ago. people r more open minded these days than back then.

Players in other sports, even traditionally more 'macho' sports such as rugby have come out and been accepted, most notably Gareth Thomas. Coming out proved to boost Thomas' fame and finances, as by July 2010 there was talk of film star Mickey Rourke playing the rugby star in a biopic film.[33]

thomas admitted he was gay in 2009 last year.

thanks. your wrong tho. the one english man to come out about being gay commited suicide cause of the abuse.

but people r more acceptin now, so maybe it wont be the case if one comes out in the near future.