Role models

zolayes

We are told by some that footballers should be role models .I think that some are role models for younger footballers .

Looking only at our club because that is what I care about most ; there a number I think our young players should try to model themselves on .

First our coach ,,,as a player ,,a coach ,,,a family man ,,, his reputation has grown tremendously while he has been with us .

secondly Ray Wilkins .,whenhe rejoined us I was sceptical of his value ,he has proved to be a valuable addition , Moreover his demeanour is

something for youth to model ..

Of course Zola , a complete gentleman ,,cultured ,gentle .. a model for all footballers .

Of our current staff Cech and Essien spring to mind as players whose behaviour should be copied. Apparently Sturridge when he arrived seemed

to have attitude problems , now they seem to be resolved. Ignore the gutter press . We are a great club with some fine players who are perfect

role models.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferreira is also a great role model. Always ready to help, not complaining, giving his best for the club. Great proffesional.

Agreed completely. Probably underestimated and not rated in this highest regard by most people, but he cannot be faulted for his professionalism. Just does his job, completely focused on the job

I find the whole concept of a sportsman being a role model naive. I mean sure it's natural to admire someone for how dedicated, professional, humble etc they are, but as the saying goes, nobody is perfect and if you look up to someone as a role model and one day you learn about their misgivings, it just breaks your heart. I've never had a role model in my life, and I don't regret it. I feel it's better to acknowledge and imbibe the good part of everyone rather than idolising just one guy. That's just my opinion, hope I don't get slagged off for it :P

I find the whole concept of a sportsman being a role model naive. I mean sure it's natural to admire someone for how dedicated, professional, humble etc they are, but as the saying goes, nobody is perfect and if you look up to someone as a role model and one day you learn about their misgivings, it just breaks your heart. I've never had a role model in my life, and I don't regret it. I feel it's better to acknowledge and imbibe the good part of everyone rather than idolising just one guy. That's just my opinion, hope I don't get slagged off for it :P

its a very fair comment ,but some young players arent blessed with a high degree of intelligence. It is easy for them to go off the rails especially

with the amounts they earn . Surely it is a good thing for them to see the standards set by people I have mentioned

Whether you agree with it or not, young people do look up to footballers as role models, the same way they look up to rock stars, actors and models. It's not just young kids either, when I was 14/15 I aspired to be Petr Cech; I literally copied everything he did in terms of his technique as a goalkeeper and I even wore a scrum cap when playing in goal :lol: That's why I agree with Zolayes, it's important for footballers to set a good example.

When I think back to 20 odd years ago before I took an interest in Chelsea, it was guys like Ally McCoist and Davie Cooper that I looked up to when I kicked a ball about the second I got home from school until it was dark. I idolised these players. The only time you saw them was on TV or when I went to a game and not plastered all over the papers.

Nowadays due to the internet, Its a whole new culture/generation. A player cant fart and its all over the world in minutes. Due to this, footballers of today should be more aware at what they get up to. They have more money than they know what to do with. Its only natural that they'd want to go out and enjoy themselves. But you can enjoy yourself without getting some tart up the duff or get glass some random bloke in a pub.

Players also have more power and clubs cant really employ a strict code that players must abide by. They can get kicked out of the club and walk into another club the following day on similar if not better wages with a hfty signing on fee to boot. If I'm honest, the majority of players couldnt really give a flying fuck about what anyone thinks of them.

Why should they be role models. It's their life and can do what they want with it. Although their personal lifes should never be taken out on to the field, it's hard to stop it. It can be funny though and interesting.

they dont have to be role models ...THEY JUST ARE