1. 1. Chelsea player of August 2010

• John Obi Mikel
    • Didier Drogba
    • Michael Essien
    • Florent Malouda
    • Ashley Cole
    • Frank Lampard
    • Other

That's why I gave "Other" option and included players that were highly praised in those games. Yes, Alex and Terry deserve special mention but I don't think they deserve to be "Player of the Month" contestant yet.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is playing well but I've gone for Drogba, a hat trick versus WBA, then his MOTM display vs Wigan, then another goal vs Stoke, he has started the season on fire.

Malouda is playing so well also, it was between him and Drogba.

Also, Ashley Cole is playing out of his skin, I was in the MH Lower vs Stoke and his runs in the first half were breath taking.

People creaming over mikel's performance are overlooking the fact that we played 3 teams that didn't attack much. Mikel's job is that of a defensive midfieilder.....but he has not had a lot of defending or breaking up of play to do. Wigan for a while did attack us but that was it. To say that he has been great in the last three matches is a bit over the top. Although his distribution has been class which has always been the case, Mikel's positioning as a defensive midfielder, Mikel's breaking up of play as a midfielder, hasnt been put to test as we engaged these teams in their own territory.

Teams like West Brom, Wigan, Stoke dont attack in hordes. I wouldnt pass my judgement untill the Man City game where Mikel's defensive skills will really be put to test. Man City, have quality wingers and strikers, how he holds the ball against them, how he breaks up their play and his positioning will be interesting to see. Untill then, he will be facing teams who would find it difficult to attack us as we would usually be playing in their own half.

Malouda POTM for me. He is here, He is there He is Every ****ing Where...Malouda Malouda!! ;)

People creaming over mikel's performance are overlooking the fact that we played 3 teams that didn't attack much. Mikel's job is that of a defensive midfieilder.....but he has not had a lot of defending or breaking up of play to do. Wigan for a while did attack us but that was it. To say that he has been great in the last three matches is a bit over the top. Although his distribution has been class which has always been the case, Mikel's positioning as a defensive midfielder, Mikel's breaking up of play as a midfielder, hasnt been put to test as we engaged these teams in their own territory.

Teams like West Brom, Wigan, Stoke dont attack in hordes. I wouldnt pass my judgement untill the Man City game where Mikel's defensive skills will really be put to test. Man City, have quality wingers and strikers, how he holds the ball against them, how he breaks up their play and his positioning will be interesting to see. Untill then, he will be facing teams who would find it difficult to attack us as we would usually be playing in their own half.

Malouda POTM for me. He is here, He is there He is Every ****ing Where...Malouda Malouda!! ;)

Couldn't agree with you more about Mikel.

He was great in pre-season and I really thought he had made great progression. But then the CS Shield match came and Mikel got exposed. His positioning and reading of the game still isn't at Chelsea standards (European Top) yet. And him being slow makes him even more vulnerable.

His passing has always been good and he has improved his passing a little this season. He has become more adventurous. I would still prefer Essien in the DM role in the big matches. But the like you said, the match against Man City will be a good test.

Wish he would work on his speed, would help him a lot. His stamina could use some work too, he needs to play with more energy.