Ramires

DavidEU

also no idea what has happened to Rami. Remember Ramires of 2012. He was so instinctive in his decisionmaking. whenever he did receive the ball in space he just ran towards goal and shoot. instrumental figure in our cl and fa cup win back then. he still has the same stamina and pace today, just his instincts are gone. he has become ponderous on the ball which is deadly for a player with such a low football iq.

when was the last time rambo even played in the center of the pitch. if u play a CM as a RW (that too not a technically astute CM), then he will be average in all aspects (inspite of that, i would say rambo was one of our best players against arsenal and city).

put oscar/willian as a CAM, pedro on the RW and rambo-matic as our pivot, and i guarantee u that u will see the old 2011-12 rambo back.

You sure it's Di Matteo? Could have been easily anyone from the backroom staff, like Steve Holland for instance.

What do you mean you sure it's Di Matteo haha? He was in charge at the time and he put him on the left against Napoli and Barcelona at the Bridge, then on the right against Liverpool in the FA cup final too. Even against Juventus the season after before he got sacked I'm sure he played Ramires on the wing at the Bridge and then Azpi on the wing in Turin. So it was probably Di Matteo. It's not like he wasn't picking the team at those times.

Plus Steve Holland wasn't even assistant manager at the time was he? Think it was Eddie Newton? I'm sure he was assistant first team coach if that's any different.

Well it was Di Matteo who was in charge at the time and he put him on the left against Napoli and Barcelona, then on the right against Liverpool in the FA cup final too as well as the games against Arsenal. Even against Juventus before he got sacked I'm sure he played Ramires on the wing. So it was probably Di Matteo. It's not like he wasn't picking the team.

But the idea could have easily been suggested by someone else and AVB/RDM was OK with it. Same like how Mourinho is OK with it now as well.

Maybe but he was the guy in charge and he used Ramires there like so many times

Well, we didn't have too many options out wide back then, did we? And besides, playing Ramires at RW suited the reactive/counter-attack approach of RDM. I don't recall him using Ramires there in the following season when we bought in new players.

What do you mean you sure it's Di Matteo haha? He was in charge at the time and he put him on the left against Napoli and Barcelona at the Bridge, then on the right against Liverpool in the FA cup final too. Even against Juventus the season after before he got sacked I'm sure he played Ramires on the wing at the Bridge and then Azpi on the wing in Turin. So it was probably Di Matteo. It's not like he wasn't picking the team at those times.

Plus Steve Holland wasn't even assistant manager at the time was he? Think it was Eddie Newton? I'm sure he was assistant first team coach if that's any different.

It was pretty obviously Di Matteo. He loved that defensive option on the wing, Ex. Ramires, Bertrand..even Azpi on occasion.

Just saw you added that last bit. Steve Holland was the assistant manager - for AVB and then RDM - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_Chelsea_F.C._season#Coaching_staff.

I don't think there's any way one can be sure it is RDM who came out with the idea. The coaching staffs talk to each other all the time and anyone could have suggested that. Even after RDM left, we still played Ramires out wide, both under Benitez and now Mourinho.

Thing is, Ramires does have the basic attributes to play out wide. He's got the pace on most PL fullbacks and he's got the stamina to match it too. Unfortunately he suffers a sever lack of concentration when it comes to passing a football.

For the life of me, I don't know how Mourinho hasn't made Ramires stay back in training to practice passing a ball :lol: