Chelsea treat Drogba Like a 'machine'

Steve

Ivory Coast boss Vahid Halilhodzic claims Chelsea are running Didier Drogba into the ground and told them to stop using the striker like a 'machine'.

Halilhodzic is concerned at his key player's fitness ahead of the Ivory Coast's Africa Cup of Nations opener against Burkina Faso.

The tournament favourties are furious that Drogba has played nine games in five weeks for Chelsea.

Halilhodzic fears the rest of his players will arrive in Angola later this week already shattered by club football as well.

'We are worried for all our players’ fitness in the squad, especially players like Drogba, who are always involved in so many matches,' said Halilhodzic.

'It is unrealistic for a player to play two matches in three days. That kind of fixture list is too demanding for key players like Drogba.

'Ten days ago I went to England to discuss it with Didier because I did not want this to continue happening to him. He is a human being, not a machine.'

That said, Halilhodzic played Drogba, Manchester City's Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue of Arsenal played in a warm-up against Tanzania on Monday.

Sky

Well what do they want us to do? Leave him on the bench so he wants to leave again?

Where paying his wage at the end of the day. Sure he deserves a rest but if the player himself doesn't want to than its on him at the end of the day.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, Halilhodzic played Drogba, Manchester City's Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue of Arsenal played in a warm-up against Tanzania on Monday.

Sounds hypocrit to me!

Besides, the coach decides to whether play Drogba or not and Drogba doesn't really seem to bother...

At the end of the day his contract is with Chelsea. I would have thought that in his contract, there is something written that he is expected to play as and when required by the manager and the club. Carlo is not stupid, he knows when to rest him and indeed any of the players in the squad.

He's entitled to his opinion......even though its a load of bullshit.

If Ancelotti were to ask Drogba "do you want to play or sit on the bench" I can guarentee he'd want to play. Every footballer wants to play football, theres no disputing that fact.

If Drogba feels like he needs a rest I'm sure he's man enough to speak up for himself.