Are We Ungrateful?

Matterz

Having read Blueman's poll on older players and seeing the David Villa vs Aguero transfer rumour threads and the opinions on these players it has got me wondering if we have been too spoiled as Chelsea fans. I mean I dont for a second believe that anyone in their right mind on this forum belkieves that Villa is not an exceptional player, but from the sounds of it not many people would like to see him in a blue shirt. My personal opinion is that we should be so lucky to even be linked with the likes of Villa, and so should any club in the world. I almost get the impression that many would be disappointed if we signed him, mostly because of his age. I remeber when we first signed Sheva how good it felt that we had signed one of the best in the business. But we all know how that turned out and we seem to remind ourselves of it every other day here. Maybe it is time to get over it. Sheva was an expensive flop, he never reached the heights we expected him to. But that is not to say someone like David Villa wont. For those of you who beleive Aguero is the answer as he is young and could play for many years, I couldnt agree with you more, but what is to say that he wont be a flop, or injury prone, or wont adapt to England well. For me I would like us to sign the best possible players we can to do what it is that we need them to do, which is win titles and it honestly doesnt matter how old they are when they do it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drogba and Anelka are well into their 30's.....its no secret the backbone of our side is built of players going into the twilight of their careers, so when we do eventually go out to buy a striker to replace either Drogba or Anelka or possibly both I think it wont matter if they're an established world class striker or not.

I know every signing is a gamble and as Matterz mentioned, Sheva was a disaster. He was expected to carry on his Milan form and it failed to happen, so that makes you wonder does it really matter if we sign someone with experience.

If a player can adapt to life in the Premiership then we'll be onto a winner.

Liverpool took a chance on Torres and its paid off. Could someone like Aguero or Dzeko do the same for us ?

Drogba and Anelka are well into their 30's.....its no secret the backbone of our side is built of players going into the twilight of their careers, so when we do eventually go out to buy a striker to replace either Drogba or Anelka or possibly both I think it wont matter if they're an established world class striker or not.

I know every signing is a gamble and as Matterz mentioned, Sheva was a disaster. He was expected to carry on his Milan form and it failed to happen, so that makes you wonder does it really matter if we sign someone with experience.

If a player can adapt to life in the Premiership then we'll be onto a winner.

Liverpool took a chance on Torres and its paid off. Could someone like Aguero or Dzeko do the same for us ?

But I think that international world class players adapt more easily than younger players. Look at Ballack who, although most of you would never admit, has had very good games from the time he signed for us. A player does not have to dribble like messi or ronaldo or score alot of goals like lampard or drogs or make alot of assists like fabregas to have a great contribution in games. If we just forget about Sheva who wasn't extremely bad and if it were not for some injuries and bench time would have made a greater impact then we might get a world class player like ribery or villa who would stike the fear in the heart of our opponents and help us win championships. Funny no one mentions drogs who was already 26 when we signed him and look at him now.:pwned:

Edited by Blueman

But I think that international world class players adapt more easily than younger players. Look at Ballack who, although most of you would never admit, has had very good games from the time he signed for us. A player does not have to dribble like messi or ronaldo or score alot of goals like lampard or drogs or make alot of assists like fabregas to have a great contribution in games. If we just forget about Sheva who wasn't extremely bad and if it were not for some injuries and bench time would have made a greater impact then we might get a world class player like ribery or villa who would stike the fear in the heart of our opponents and help us win championships. Funny no one mentions drogs who was already 26 when we signed him and look at him now.:pwned:

In footballing years he was very young he started playing professionally at the age of 21 were people like sheva played at 17.

Yeah we missed a trick with Torres, but young player are just as much a gamble s old player. You would hope the club would do some research into the attitude of the player and their chracter. SOme people find it easier to adpat at a new club others don't, regardless of their age. It s those mental strengths that make good players great.

Look at Ballack who, although most of you would never admit, has had very good games from the time he signed for us.

You're kidding right ?

Ballacks first season was a nightmare.....he only started playing well in his second season if I remember correctly and that was in spurts either side of a few injuries. Hence the nickname..."Bollock"

I'll agree that over the last while back he's showing why he was reguarded as a world class player when we signed him, but he's on his last legs and if I'm honset, I dont think we'll see the Ballack who was amazing for Leverkusen & Bayern at Chelsea.