Hello from a HUGE Blues Fan in Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Sorry, I posted a few times elsewhere but figured I'd come in here and do my thing.

Played a bit of soccer as a kid, followed indoor soccer here in Baltimore for a while. Began watching seriously during the 2006 World Cup (although I usually watched WC and Olympic soccer as well), and followed England closely that tournament. Later that summer I watched Chelsea play the MLS All-Stars on their U.S. tour, and I recognized many of the players from the WC. I began thinking about following international (to me) soccer, and in particular an English team, and knew the most about Chelsea's squad, so that's the way I went. I knew from the start that I absolutely couldn't hop on ManUtd's bandwagon, because they're pretty much the only team Americans know if you ask about international football. Little did I know I would appear to be a bandwagon jumper myself anyway, as I found out during the course of my first season watching the Blues (2006-2007) that we had won back-to-back Prem titles.

My love for this team grew quickly and I do not miss a match on TV, in any competition. Between Setanta, Fox and ESPN, pretty much all of our games are broadcast here. We even visited Stamford Bridge in August 2007 during a brief stay in London on our way home from Greece (my wife's homeland). The boys were playing Liverpool the weekend we were in London, but just seeing The Bridge (and the Carling and FA Cups) was a thrill enough for me. My now-7 1/2 year old son has really come along for the ride with me and watches as fervently as I do. He plays in (and I help coach) a U-8 team and he absolutely loves it.

Unbelievably, although I did not see them in England, Chelsea came right here to my hometown this past summer and beat AC Milan - and I was there to see it. (A game we actually won [albeit meaningless] in the away kit!) If I wasn't already sucked into the Chelsea experience before that game, I truly felt it afterwards.

I have revelled in the silverware we've won since 2006 and have despaired in the excruciating CL and League losses. I live and die with these guys now, more so than my hometown teams of any sport. I'm hooked, and for better or worse, 'til death do us part, I'm a Blue! I fly my Chelsea flag on the front of my house every day there's a game.

Thanks for sharing your team with a Yank like me! I love this forum and hope to participate as often as I can.

Todd

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I posted a few times elsewhere but figured I'd come in here and do my thing.

Played a bit of soccer as a kid, followed indoor soccer here in Baltimore for a while. Began watching seriously during the 2006 World Cup (although I usually watched WC and Olympic soccer as well), and followed England closely that tournament. Later that summer I watched Chelsea play the MLS All-Stars on their U.S. tour, and I recognized many of the players from the WC. I began thinking about following international (to me) soccer, and in particular an English team, and knew the most about Chelsea's squad, so that's the way I went. I knew from the start that I absolutely couldn't hop on ManUtd's bandwagon, because they're pretty much the only team Americans know if you ask about international football. Little did I know I would appear to be a bandwagon jumper myself anyway, as I found out during the course of my first season watching the Blues (2006-2007) that we had won back-to-back Prem titles.

My love for this team grew quickly and I do not miss a match on TV, in any competition. Between Setanta, Fox and ESPN, pretty much all of our games are broadcast here. We even visited Stamford Bridge in August 2007 during a brief stay in London on our way home from Greece (my wife's homeland). The boys were playing Liverpool the weekend we were in London, but just seeing The Bridge (and the Carling and FA Cups) was a thrill enough for me. My now-7 1/2 year old son has really come along for the ride with me and watches as fervently as I do. He plays in (and I help coach) a U-8 team and he absolutely loves it.

Unbelievably, although I did not see them in England, Chelsea came right here to my hometown this past summer and beat AC Milan - and I was there to see it. (A game we actually won [albeit meaningless] in the away kit!) If I wasn't already sucked into the Chelsea experience before that game, I truly felt it afterwards.

I have revelled in the silverware we've won since 2006 and have despaired in the excruciating CL and League losses. I live and die with these guys now, more so than my hometown teams of any sport. I'm hooked, and for better or worse, 'til death do us part, I'm a Blue! I fly my Chelsea flag on the front of my house every day there's a game.

Thanks for sharing your team with a Yank like me! I love this forum and hope to participate as often as I can.

Todd

Hey Todd since your from Maryland, do you like the Ravens?