Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Nana Ofori-Twumasi on loan at Dagenham and Redbridge

Reserve team right-back Nana Ofori-Twumasi has today (Friday) joined Dagenham and Redbridge on a one-month loan.The temporary move to the east London side, currently third inLeague Two, is the first loan for the 19-year-old who is former youthteam captain and part of the side that made the FA Youth Cup Final twoseasons ago.

This season he has made four reserve appearances.

Dagenham and Redbridge play away at Accrington Stanley tomorrow.

Source: Chelsea FC

I think the club have found it hard to get Nana a loan move, he really needs to take this oppertunity and impress to extend that deal. He needs regular football at right back and see how he develops, his descision making is what lets him down the most. Hope he does well there, Dag & Red was my local club for 25 years before i moved....

simmondsm20091119111202.jpg

ON-LOAN Chelsea defender Nana Ofori-Twumasi admitted his FootballLeague debut was something of a shock when he turned out for Dagenham& Redbridge at Accrington Stanley on Saturday.

The19-year-old, who has been at Stamford Bridge for seven years andfeatured in two youth World Cups for England during that time, wasthrust into action at a wet and windy Crown Ground.

In amuch-changed Daggers defence, Ofori-Twumasi played his part in helpingkeep a clean sheet as his new team picked up a crucial 1-0 win.

"It was quite a shock," he laughed.

Waterlogged

"I'mused to playing at one of the best facilities in the whole world, butwhen I went there and looked at the pitch, some of the parts werewaterlogged!

"We had to put long studs on, but it's an experience I am willing to take and I think it will do me good in the future."

Thechange in surroundings didn't finish there either for Ofori-Twumasi, ashe explained the difference between a club like Chelsea and Daggers.

"WhenI came here, I see things like you have to take your training kit homeand wash it, whereas at Chelsea everything is laid out and washed foryou," he said. "Coming here and seeing that opens your eyes and makesme appreciate things more."

No matter what standard you areplaying at though, the feeling of winning remains the same, and that issomething the youngster is determined to experience in his month atVictoria Road.

"When you play in the reserve team, if you finishbottom, you still don't get relegated," said the full back, who hasfeatured in Chelsea's reserves with the likes of Daniel Sturridge, RossTurnbull and Jeffrey Bruma.

"When you come on loan, you'regiving everything for each point. Everyone is behind you, it drives youon and you do more for the team to try and win.

"I really want ataste of first team football where you're under pressure to perform,with a crowd behind you that are passionate about the team.

"I'm sure this move will be a good opportunity for me to experience that."

Itappears that Ofori-Twumasi is already revelling in his first prolongedspell away from the Blues as he has been greeted by Daggers with openarms.

"They're a great bunch of lads here," he smiled. "When Iarrived, everyone made me feel welcome, and I'm really enjoying myselfat the moment.

Smiling

"When you come into training and see everyone's faces are smiling and they are saying hello to you, it's really good.

"Sometimesat clubs you don't always get that when new players come in, but theseguys have made me feel comfortable and it's made things easy for me."

ManagerJohn Still is a big part of that too, as the boss downloaded a DVD ofthe full back's first-ever match on to his laptop during the coachjourney home, an act that has already endeared him to the Chelsea man.

"Itwas my debut and he wanted to give me a disc to copy as he knew itmeant a lot to me and it shows the kind of man he is," said theteenager.

"The first day I came here, he was out at the gate waiting for me and it made me feel welcome.

"He didn't get his assistant to do it, so as soon as I saw that, it made me feel like he really wants me here.

"Itput me in a confident mood straight away, as I met him and he showed meround the ground. He's made things easy for me, made me feel welcomeand I've really enjoyed it."

It wasn't just the conditions thatOfori-Twumasi had to adapt too at Accrington on Saturday, thehigh-octane style of play that Daggers employ is worlds apart to whathe had been used to in Chelsea's second string.

"We're used togetting ball the down and playing it out from the back," he admitted."In my first game, it was all about getting it forward, the keeper getsthe ball and gets it forward and it's all about winning second balls."

Premiership

"It's another side of the game that you need to learn, as it's not always going to be life in the Premiership.

"It's a good experience for me and if I can adapt to it, I can show my football skills and learn from it."

Thesecond game of the full back's career should come this weekend, whenthird-placed Rochdale visit Victoria Road, but with Abu Ogogo availablefrom suspension, Ofori-Twumasi isn't taking anything for granted.

"I'mcoming here to play, the first game I've started, but that doesn't meanI'm going to play the next game," he said. "I need to impress themanager at training and hopefully I can do that and be starting in mytime here.

"I wouldn't mind staying for the rest of season, but whatever happens, happens and we'll see after the month."

Source: Barking and Dagenham Post

I think the club have found it hard to get Nana a loan move, he really needs to take this oppertunity and impress to extend that deal. He needs regular football at right back and see how he develops, his descision making is what lets him down the most. Hope he does well there, Dag & Red was my local club for 25 years before i moved....

How do you rate his ability ?

How do you rate his ability ?

To be honest, not too highly. He has played out of position a lot at centre back which hasn't helped him as he is no way a centre back. But he is rash, his descisions are poor a lot of the time and his passing is lacking too. A couple of loan moves may turn him around because he is a very athletic player, but i would say the chances of him turning out for Chelsea at any stage are minimal.

• 1 month later...