Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Chelsea Reserves 3 Fulham Reserves 3

Have absolutely no idea what team we are going to be able to field for this one due to internationals.... Will players be able to play before being released, Sturridge for example??? Steve Holland said that there are plenty to be missing including players like Lalkovic, there was more but can't remeber the full list....

Kakuta free from his ban would have played, but will he be off on International duty too???

The team put out will be interesting to see for sure, but i hope we can put out a decent team with the right balance and not have to play players out of position all over the park....

Edited by EskWeston

The forthcoming international fixtures at many age levels havebitten into the team selected by Steve Holland for Monday evening'shome game, with five changes from the side that lost at Stoke lastweek. Daniel Sturridge is available to come in up front and Ross Turnbull is another first team squad player who will be in action tonight at Brentford. The match is live on Chelsea TV.

Billy Knott, a first-year youth team, player has been rewarded forgood performances in the Under 18s, where he has scored in fourconsecutive games from full-back, with his first reserve start. TheEngland Under 17 international came on as a sub last week.

Danny Mills, still a schoolboy, will make his fourth appearance atthis level in central defence where he will partner Jeffrey Bruma.

A call-up by France Under 19s for a three-game tournament means Gael Kakuta will be not be involved.

'We are without Jacopo Sala, Nemanja Matic, Conor Clifford, JanSebek and Fabio Borini who played in the last game, due tointernational duty,' lists reserve team manager Holland.

'That creates an opportunity for one or two lads who haven't played of late, as well as one or two from the youth team.

'The individual needs of the players is an ongoing process thatchanges every day so we don't really focus on the teamwork of thereserves until I know the team, which is usually the day before thegame.

'I've had players added to my group over the weekend that weren'tinvolved in Carlo Ancelotti's group against Manchester United, so it'snot until Sunday that we did some work on the game.'

Chelsea are currently fifth in the Barclays Premier Reserve LeagueSouth, three places and four points ahead of tonight's opponentsFulham. It's the second string's third home game of the season.Previously they enjoyed a thumping 4-1 win over West Ham in whichSturridge was among the scorers.

Fulham won their most recent away game 2-0 at Portsmouth andfollowed it up with a 1-1 home draw versus West Ham. This correspondingfixture last season was a 1-1 draw with a Miroslav Stoch penalty theChelsea goal.

The Chelsea team tonight is:

Ross Turnbull, Nana Ofori-Twumasi,Jeffrey Bruma, Danny Mills, Ben Gordon, Michael Woods, Nikki Ahamed,Billy Knott, Josh McEachran, Milan Lalkovic, Daniel Sturridge.

Subs: Niclas Heimann, Kenny Strickland, Billy Clifford, Daniel Philliskirk, Marko Mitrovic.

The match is at Brentford FC's Griffin Park with a 7.05pm kick-off.Entry is free to Chelsea season ticket holders. Admission fornon-season ticket holders is: Adults£5, Concessions £3.

Live coverage on Chelsea TV begins at 7pm.

Before that, the club's official television channel airs Weekend Review with Scott Minto and Jason Cundy at 6.15pm.

In this week's show you can relive yesterday's first team win bywatching the highlights before post-match reaction from CarloAncelotti, John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Ballack.

You can also watch all the goals from Saturday's 3-2 win for theUnder 18s and take a closer look at which Blues are where in the week'supcoming international action.

Source: Chelsea FC

Not a bad team in the end. Shame to be missing Clifford and Matic. Not too sure where Ahamed is going to playing, holding role maybe? Right side of diamond? Woods needs to take this oppertunity big time. I am very interested to see Billy Knott play for the first time outside of highlights, he is having a cracking season and the left side of a midfield diamond will be ideal for him.

Suprised to see Lalkovic playing when Holland said he would be away. Would have liked to have seen Mitrovic partner Sturridge, Lalkovic is not suited to the centre forward role for me....

Still looking forward to seeing how we perform again, hopefully Holland will have them playing some good stuff again.

Three splendid goals by a much-changed side saw Chelsea come from behind three times in Monday night's derby.In contrast to the first team the day before, it was the attacksvery much on top of the defences in a lively encounter, especially inthe closing stages. Chelsea hit the woodwork three times in addition tothe three goals.

Daniel Sturridge was among the home team's scorers with Billy Knott(pictured above right) and Milan Lalkovic also netting, Knott one oftwo first-year scholars in an unfamiliar midfield due to internationalcall-ups, including a first by Italy Under 21s for Fabio Borini.

The start to the game was nasty for Chelsea. With just over a minutegone Fulham took the lead when David Elm, in space inside the area laidback for fellow striker Michael Uwezu to scoop the ball beyond Turnbulland into the net. It was too easy for the visitors, Chelsea not alertto danger at a throw-in.

The response, however, was positive and rapid, Knott beating theoffside to race clear on to Sturridge's pass. Lalkovic made asupporting run in the middle but was not needed, the 16-year-oldthumping the ball low past the keeper for his first reserve goal.

It is a wonderful run of scoring form for Knott who had notched inthe last four youth team games. He was playing full-back then; he wasthe left side man in the midfield tonight.

Another member of the midfield diamond was forced off by injury justseven minutes in, Michael Woods coming off badly in a block challenge.Billy Clifford, another first year, taking his place as the anchor man.

Lalkovic, Sturridge's partner up front had a good attempt from anangle after Nikki Ahamed had played a ball into space, but the keepersaved low down.

This young Blues side were looking capable of scoring with everymove forward at this stage. On 20 minutes Lalkovic hit the base of thefar post after the Slovakian was found intelligently by McEachran,enjoying another influential game at this level.

When Fulham did push back towards the other end, it took a timelyinterception from schoolboy centre-back Danny Mills (pictured below) tostop their attack after Jeffrey Bruma had lost out in a challenge for ahigh bouncing ball.

0,,10268~7584075,00.jpg

The game's first booking was for a foul on Lalkovic by Marsh-Brown.

Chelsea's good spell was dying away and the game became untidy.Fulham's second goal came when David Elm reached Simon Davies's chestdown faster than Mills and finished well from 12 yards with Turnbullhelpless.

Chelsea almost levelled within seconds again - Nana Ofori-Twumasi's intended cross from the bye-line curling onto the bar.

The second-half was set on its way by Turnbull racing from his areaand clattering Uwezu in a chase for the ball. The Chelsea keeper wasbooked.

That was it for significant action near either area until the 58th minute when Chelsea scored a working of footballing art to make it 2-2.

A rapid move down the pitch with Ahamed involved, was completed whenMcEachran's perfectly weighted pass allowed Sturridge to side-step thekeeper expertly and finish with ease.

There was no chance to bask in the glory however as within threeminute the Cottagers were back in front. Bruma, the captain who wastested hard on the night by the Fulham front two, conceded a free-kick.When it was played in, the Blues left the Fulham with two against oneat the far post and it was straight forward for Kallio when fellowcentre-back Smalling knocked the ball into the middle.

Moscatiello then hit a dipping shot on the run not too far over andTurnbull was lucky to escape when his miss-kick out fell to Elm but thestriker knocked his hat-trick chance wide.

Knott became Chelsea's second booking for sliding throughMarsh-Brown with quarter-of-an-hour to go, but that could not spoil apromising first reserve team start for the England Under 17international.

Knott looked to have played a superb ball to send Sturridge(pictured below) one-on-one with the keeper with 10 minutes to go butthe striker was flagged just offside.

0,,10268~7584069,00.jpg

The third of Chelsea's three equalisers was another well-workedgoal, left-back Ben Gordon playing the ball into the path ofSturridge's strong run down the left. The cross was excellent andLalkovic was there to head in his first reserve goal on his fourthappearance. He celebrated by running 60 yards to shake hands withmanager Steve Holland. There were eight minutes left.

Substitute Daniel Philliskirk nearly won it for Chelsea with avolley from the edge of the area as a free-kick was cleared but itdipped only as low as the bar. Fulham had a late chance but Elm'sheader was straight at Turnbull.

The end-to-end action continued into stoppage time, Clifford goingjust wide from 30 yards, and then the visitor's centre-back Smallingwent on a storming raid into the area and beat Turnbull but hit thenear post.

It was a cracking end to the game to warm those present on a chilly west London night.

Chelsea (4-diamond-2) Ross Turnbull; Nana Ofori-Twumasi,Jeffrey Bruma ©, Danny Mills, Ben Gordon; Michael Woods (BillyClifford 7); Nikki Ahamed, Billy Knott (Philliskirk 80); JoshMcEachran; Milan Lalkovic, Daniel Sturridge.

Fulham (4-4-2) Zuberbuhler; Marsh-Brown, Smalling, Kallio, Briggs; Davies, Saunders, Moscatiello, Anderson; Elm, Uwezu (Hoesen 82).

Source: Chelsea FC

A very strange game this time around, we started with 4 16 year olds in our starting line up which is quite remarkable, Billy Clifford came on very early when Woods injured and he has only just turned 17 last month. Fulham were not exactly playing first team players like Stoke last week but the difference in experience at this level was massive. But the boys did well once again, and showed why these are some exceptional young players.

The game wasn't a classic thats for sure, it was scrappy and mistakes were constantly made by both sides. For the main part our passing and descision making was poor, a lot of that you can chalk down to lack of experience, the main thing is though that they fought for the point and the win and did what they needed to do.

The defence did OK, Nana and Gordon got up and down the flanks for the majority of the game, Gordon though didn't have the best of games again. Danny Mills and Bruma worked OK together but were given a bit of a tough time it is fair to say. The midfield was very very young indeed and at times struggled to control the game for us, at others they linked up very well. Still would like to see McEachran influence the game more than what he currently is. Billy Knott impressed on his debut bagging a goal in the first 3 minutes, at times struggled with the pace of the game but for his first game i think he did well, definately one to look out for.

Milan Lalkovic once again playing upfront this time partnering Daniel Sturridge. They linked up well, still not convinced of Lalkovic as a striker but he did well last night. In general the game was just sloppy, but it was entertaining to watch and to also see these young lads try to impress at a higher level.

Player Reviews:

Ross Turnbull - Once again not a comfortable game at all from Ross. Some poor kicking, some poor descisions made. Being the oldest player on the pitch he should have at least dominated the defence but he failed to do that in general. You want to give him the benefit of the doubt but he needs to be putting in much better performances than these in the reserves if he wants to get any chances for the first team. 5

Nana Ofori-Twumasi - Nana playing in his much prefered position of right back for this one. Started off not doing too good, poor passing, finding himself out of position. He also when getting further up the park tended to take too many touches and try to beat more players rather than swing in the early ball which we say Ahamed do last week. He grew into the game as it went by, but again would have expected more from him as an experience reserves head. 5

Ben Gordon - The first few games of the season i was very critical of Gordon, then he seemed to grow in confidence. Last night i saw him go back to not looking good enough. His passing was poor, he seemed to lack concentration far too often and his touches on the whole were not good. Another who got better as time went on, but i do have to question now every week which Ben Gordon is going to turn up. 5

Jeffrey Bruma - Captain for the evening and did well. Was alway eager to get in early to the ball and try and read the situations as they were happening. Did always come off for him, but at 17 you can expect that. Didn't win as many headers as maybe he should have but he still but in a good shift at the back. He was worked hard because the game was end to end and he held up well. 7

Danny Mills - Continuing to get games at this level the 16 year schoolboy once again stood up to the challenge. I think he found this one one of his harder games but i don't think he made too many mistakes that you can call him up on. Developed the right way this lad can be a big talent for us. His physical stature is helping him cope at this level and now he needs to up his reading of the game. 6

Billy Clifford - Came on very very early for the injured woods. First real look at him and he did well to be fair to him. The holding role is an unfamiliar one for him but he stood up to the challenge. He has neat touches on the ball, but one thing i did notice with him is that he likes to take sometimes too many touches, he may be able to get away with that at youth level but at this level you can't. Also he was sometimes a little casual on the ball. But he looks a decent player. 6

Nikki Ahamed - Playing on the left side of the diamond rather than right back where he is used to. I think he found it a little difficult, he struggled to have an influence on the game and at times looked uncertain of where he should be. It is a shame he hasn't played many games this season, Ferreira returning has limited his games and now he is moved into midfield, it is a shame because he is looking a quality right back and i want to see him develop there and step up a level. 5

Billy Knott - Having previously played left wing and then this season at left back a lot for the youth team i think the left side of the diamond is the ideal position for him. He earned this start with some very impressive performances for the youth's. He managed to show what he is about immediately banging in a well taken goal in the first 3 minutes, he was very cool with his finish. His passing and vision is good but without a doubt he struggled with the pace of the game for a lot of the time. That will come and he certainly didn't harm his chances of getting further games here. 6

Josh McEachran - Once again a game where he will show moments of brilliance and totally influence our attack and other times where he is completely anonymous. Having only seen highlights of youth games i have no idea if this is what his game has always been like but i want to see him step up a level now. Sometimes he is far too casual but he still has the ability to do some great things with a football. 6

Milan Lalkovic - Striker once more partnering Daniel Sturridge. He does seem to be improving in that postion but it certainly isn't natural for him. He got his goal from some excellent work by Sturridge. In behind the defence he is fantastic, with his back to goal he struggles more, but like i said he is improving. Would like to see him tried right side of the diamond though. 7

Daniel Sturridge - Once again Daniel Sturridge was trying desperately hard to impress. He was feeling frustrated in the first half you could tell but once he got his goal he became a different player, after that he was so much more assured and in control. He became almost unplayable for the defence. Took his goal very well indeed, was good to see him become more comfortable as the game went on. 7

Was a lot harder with the marks this week, mainly down to the performance generally being sloppy. But the result was still impressive for these lads.

Esk,

Absolutely spot on. Much as I like Knott, his distribution in first half was terrible. I actually don't remember a single pass to a Chelsea player. Not kidding, not one. I made a point of checking and I think the first one that went near a Chelsea player was about 57 minutes. Like the goal but seemed to eager to please. Thought Clifford did ok in that midfield role but needs to forget about long balls and shooting. Whole game was scrappy and bitty, with only rare bits of quality. MacEachran is actually like like, a few great balls and touches followed by 10 minutes where you forget he's on the pitch. Only 16 so time to grow in confidence.