Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Chelsea FC Youth 3 Watford Youth 1

Chelsea's youth side secured a 3-1 win over Watford in an enthralling encounter at Cobham today.Two goals in the first half proved too much for Watford to come backfrom as the Academy side displayed their skills in front of a largecrowd.

It was an interesting game, with plenty of midfield-football, as Watford pressed against a tight Chelsea team.

That team had built a two-goal lead within 42 minutes of the game.First Kaby Djalo sent an astronomical left-footed strike into the topcorner before Marco Mitrovic (pictured) doubled the lead with his head.

It was a game Chelsea controlled from the off, with Bobby Devyne the first to shoot only three minutes in.

That shot skimmed inches past the post but later efforts were ontarget, as were chances for Djalo and Josh McEachran, who all kept theWatford keeper busy. And it was with 11 minutes played that Djalo putthe Blues ahead.

After finding himself on the right, the Portugueseyoungster collected the ball from captain Conor Clifford before dancinghis way into the centre of the pitch. It was from there, and 25 yardsout from goal, that he smashed his left-footed drive into the top left.

With a lead established, Chelsea's defence were forced into actionas Daniel Mills headed a dangerous cross behind the line for a corner.

Watford also saw several chances stray wide before Mitrovic made ittwo for the hosts, heading home a Gokhan Tore cross after theTurkish Under 21 international gathered a short corner from Djalo.

There were no changes to the side at half time, although theformation did remould to a 4-3-3 with Mitrovic in the centre of theattacking line with Devyne and Tore. Within two minutes of the restartChelsea had once again proved dangerous in front of goal.

Billy Clifford curled a shot goal-ward from outside the area only tosee the attempt blocked. Mitrovic then headed the rebounding ballbefore Devyne sent a shot into the keeper's arms.

Devyne made way for Aziz Deen-Conteh just past the hour mark and Chelsea continued to apply pressure.

Kenny Strickland was the next player to tests Watford'sshot-stopper, with a 25-yard screamer bouncing towards the bottom left.Then Knott latched onto a clever Djalo through ball before launching ashot across the face of goal.

With 10 minutes to go Watford pulled a goal back, as their number 11converted a well-placed cross, which skimmed along the face of goaltowards the far post, tapping in from close range.

Immediately Chelsea retaliated, with Tore forcing the Watfordcentre-backs to chase him down after breaking down the middle, forcinga corner. He then drilled a shot inches past the post.

It was Tore who would finished the scoring for Chelsea when, in thefirst minute of stoppage time, he latched onto a through ball from hiscaptain Clifford. He then calmly slotted into the bottom right afterbeating the keeper one-on-one, making the final score 3-1 Chelsea.

'That was a difficult game despite the final score,' said youthmanager Dermot Drummy. 'Watford worked us really well but we managed togrind out a result.

'Conor Clifford has done really well today, he's been really effective and he's a great captain.'

Chelsea (4-4-2 diamond): Sam Walker; BillyClifford, Kenny Strickland, Danny Mills, Billy Knott Anton Rodgers);Josh McEachran, Conor Clifford ©, Kaby Djalo, Gokhan Tore; BobbyDevyne (Deen-Conteh), Marco Mitrovic.

Source: Chelsea FC

mceachran, Connor and Kaby seemingly are makeing great progress

Yes they are. McEachran is the more high profile player, having made the breakthrough very early last season and earning call ups to first team training already, he is a fantastic footballer and i hope he can continue to progress the way he is.

Connor Clifford is having a very good season, after a solid season last year in the youth team he is making an impact now in the reserves. His tough all action style is certainly catching the eye of many at the moment.

Kaby it is good to see is finally starting to make an impact at youth level. It has been a while comming but hopefully he will make a name for himself this year.

As has been mentioned before, this is a top top group of youth players and hopefully they can all make big steps forward this year. Mitrovic is having another good season of goal scoring, he is a fantastic striker.

mceachran, Connor and Kaby seemingly are makeing great progress

Did you go to the game? Just wondering as don't see how you can mention MacEachran's progress from that report or are you talking generally. He's actually been quiet last couple of weeks since coming back from suspension with Billy Knott and he missed all the first few games because of that. He's definitely an excellent prospect but has been quite disappointing in posession so far (for him that is)

I would also expect Kaby and Conor to stick out against more younger players as they are now older, as should Mitrovic.

Not being too harsh just a bit more realisic. I agree with Esk that this group are very highly regarded and some are still a bit below that level at the moment. They're also missing a couple of injured starters which doesn't help.

Did you go to the game? Just wondering as don't see how you can mention MacEachran's progress from that report or are you talking generally. He's actually been quiet last couple of weeks since coming back from suspension with Billy Knott and he missed all the first few games because of that. He's definitely an excellent prospect but has been quite disappointing in posession so far (for him that is)

I would also expect Kaby and Conor to stick out against more younger players as they are now older, as should Mitrovic.

Not being too harsh just a bit more realisic. I agree with Esk that this group are very highly regarded and some are still a bit below that level at the moment. They're also missing a couple of injured starters which doesn't help.

@pettswood58

np...

no i dont judge it on only one Report... but look, Connor did a great Job, Kaby, and McEachran, too in my Opinion. I was Able to watch some of the games on my friends Television (on which way he's reciving it uhm... dont let us talk about that)...

and in my opinion Kaby made a great progress after struggleing in 2008. The physical side of his game has improved leaps and bounds, and he has maintained is technical side, Mc Eachran was always a good prospect, if you follow his progress hes pretty often on the scoresheet for a midfielder. and his reserves debut wasnt bad at all...

So your kidding me about conner arent you? He plays well always when hes on the pitch, may be there is one bad game out of 10.

Yeah, but thats what it is about, it would be bad as if they would play the same way like when they were young... you can not get away the fact that they're improveing game by game... its completely normal if theyre getting better when theyre getting older and theyre game is getting matured

greets