Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Official: Reading buy Shaun Cummings

The Royals have agreed a deal to purchase right back Shaun Cummings from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

The20-year-old signed all paperwork before the 5pm deadline on Tuesdayevening, and the deal is now subject to normal ratification proceduresfrom the Football League and Premier League.

Cummings is in themiddle of a loan spell at Coca-Cola Championship side West BromwichAlbion, but he will end that deal to move to Reading on a permanentbasis, and he has signed a three-year contract at Madejski Stadium.

Boss Brendan Rodgers told the club's official site readingfc.co.uk, "Shaun is a modern day full back, a good defender who wants to go forward and is very athletic.

"I'mexcited to have him, I know him well, he has all the characteristics wewant and I am sure he will be very successful. He's one for now and forthe future as well.

"He worked very closely with me at Chelsea,he developed there and then had a really successful time out on loanwith the MK Dons last season.

"Supporters may have seen him lineup for West Brom already this year so he has shown his credentialsand ability to compete at the top end of this league. He's very similarto Ryan Bertrand on the opposite side."

Shaun added, "It's greatto sign, I feel fantastic. This is a great opportunity for me, I cansettle for three years and I am working with Brendan again. We know howeach other works and there is a good connection so I couldn't say no."

readingfc.co.uk

Suprising really. But he was one the ones earmarked for a permanant move....

We have a LOT of youngsters and they can't all make it. Shaun moved from striker to right back and did it very well. Feel a little sorry for him because he never did anything wrong. I would have thought though that they would have had a look at a Championship loan before making a permanant choice....

So, instead of giving our youngsters out, we'll sell them?

Damn, good luck for him. Let's hope no more leave!

He wasn't really ever going to make it here. Let's hope the ones judged not good enough leave sooner rather than later when they come to that age. It's a good move for him.

Edited by Cameron

It is a good move for him, Reading are a good club and he could find himself in the Premier League eventually. We have to remember 2 things, firstly our standards are exceptionally high, if we feel someone will just not be good enough to play for our first team then we have to find the best place for them and earn some money on them. Also we have to accept that 90% of players comming through our academy are not going to play for our first team.