Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Jack Cork on loan at Coventry City

Jack Cork has today [Friday] joined Coventry City on a temporary transfer until 31 December. The England Under 21 international has also signed a new three-year contract with Chelsea.

The move is Cork's third loan to a club in the Championship following spells with Southampton and Watford last season. He joins fellow Chelsea reserve squad member Patrick van Aanholt at Coventry.

Able to play in midfield or defence, Cork has been with Chelsea since the age of nine. He has yet to make his first team debut.

Coventry, who are managed by Chris Coleman and are currently fourth in their division, level on points with the leaders, play at home to Swansea tomorrow.

Source: Chelsea FC

COVENTRY City have signed highly-rated Chelsea midfielder Jack Cork on loan.

The Sky Blues have taken the 20-year-old until the end of December and the club hope to include him in the squad for tomorrow's match against Swansea City at the Ricoh Arena but are awaiting confirmation from the football authorities.

Coventry supporters will be familiar with Cork as he scored against the club twice while on loan at Scunthorpe two seasons ago. His father, Alan, was City's reserve team manager under Micky Adams.

Coventry manager Chris Coleman said: "This is another excellent addition to the squad and Jack is the second promising young Chelsea player to join our ranks this season.

"He is very highly-regarded at Stamford Bridge and he has already played close to 100 matches while on loan with other Football League clubs so has good experience for his age.

"We made a substantial offer for Jack earlier in pre-season to bring him to the club permanently but Chelsea did not want to sell which shows how much they think of him - and how highly we consider him.

"That said, we are delighted that they have let him come out on loan to us and this is further sign of what we are trying to achieve at the club.

"We are still hoping to make further additions before the transfer window closes and a lot of work is going on behind the scenes to make that happen."

Source: Coventry City

Discuss Cork's loan move here..

Think he should be at a PL club in all honesty, but if he impresses during his stint at Coventry, working with a manager who knows how to look after and improve young talents, there's every chance that after January we'll see him back with Chelsea, or in the top division. Best of luck to young Jack.

Coventry City's latest loan signing Jack Cork could extend his stay beyond December after moving from Chelsea.

The 20-year-old utility man has signed until the end of the year and made his debut in the 1-0 Swansea loss.

He told BBC Coventry and Warwickshire: "It's until the end of December to start with and then a view to extend it to see how well it goes.

"I work hard throughout the whole 90 minutes and I try to help out the rest of the lads as much as possible."

bbc.co.uk/sport

• 2 weeks later...

PSYCHOLOGISTS reckon that moving house rates aclose third behind a death in the family and divorce when it comes topushing stress levels past the critical mark – so Jack Cork hascertainly lived life on the edge. TheChelsea midfielder turned 20 only in June but in the course of the pastcouple of years he’s set up home in Bournemouth, Scunthorpe,Southampton, Watford and finally Coventry in the cause of furtheringhis football education.

There’s neverbeen any doubt about his ability – he’s played for England at everylevel from Under-16 to Under-21 and is in Stuart Pearce’s squad forthis afternoon’s UEFA Championship qualifier against Macedonia – butwhen you’re signed up for one of the richest clubs in the worldfirst-team chances tend to be few and far between.

At Stamford Bridge Cork is in a queue headed by the likes of Frank Lampard, Michael Ballack, Joe Cole, Michael Essien and John Obi Mikel.

ButChelsea see Cork as one for the future – they have just offered him anew three-year deal – so he is more than happy to hit the Championshiproad again.

“It’s hard for young players to get a game at such a big club,” he admitted.

“They’ve already got some of the best players in the world and they can buy anybody else they want at any time.

“But the best place in the world is the place you want to be.

"Ifyou don’t give it a try nothing’s going to come of it, so I’m going togive it as long as I can to see if I can get my chance.

"Ifit doesn’t work out, I’ll live with that; they’ve offered me three moreyears, which is a big boost, so I’m looking forward to seeing how itgoes.”

Cork isn’t intimidated by trainingwith such high-profile players at Chelsea’s palatial headquarters inCobham – “you can learn so much from players of that class” – but haschalked up the best part of 100 starts during various loan spells.

“I’vegained a lot of experience,” he said. “I’ve gained so much from all thedifferent clubs I’ve been to, and I feel I’ve grown up a lot as aplayer and as a person.

"It’s quitehard to have to keep moving about. Just when you think you’re settledand really getting on well with the players you have start all overagain.

“But I’ve got used to it nowand other players always go out of their way to make you welcome.There’s always a lot of banter in football clubs but you learn to dealwith that.

"If you take any stickyou have to be able to give it back, and they don’t treat you like abig city slicker unless you try to act like one.”

Cork’sfather Alan, a cornerstone of Wimbledon’s Wembley heroes, wasCoventry’s assistant manager before he was sacked along with MickyAdams in 2007, but Jack insists that had no bearing on his decision tojoin the Sky Blues until the end of the year.

“These things happen in football,” he said.“That’s all in the past, and when the Coventry thing came up dad toldme it was a good club.

“It’s very helpful having a dad who was a player and worked behind the scenes.

"Becausehe’s still in football (reserve team boss at Bolton Wanderers) he can’tget to a lot of my games, but I can always turn to him for advice andhe’s got some great stories about the Crazy Gang days.”

CorkSenior was a hard-as-nails centre-forward, with a very differentphysique to his slender son, but Jack has performed in severaldifferent positions.

“I like it in the middle,” he says, “but I’ve played a few games at right-back and centre-half and I quite like that as well.

"I’mnot really suitable to the more physical side, I like to get a lot oftime on the ball, but I was at centre-half when Southampton playedCoventry at St Mary’s last year.”

Source: Coventry Telegraph