Official: Matic signs

Alee.

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of midfielder Nemanja Matic on a four-year contract.

The 21-year-old joins us from Slovak side MFK Kosice and is highly regarded around Europe as a talent to look out for in the future.

Matic already has two full Serbia caps, playing alongside Branislav Ivanovic, and was at the Under 21 European Championships in Sweden this summer, although a broken metatarsal ended his tournament in the first game against Italy.

That injury means he will be ruled out for a number of weeks yet, although he is recovering well, and he is delighted to be a Chelsea player.

'I know a lot about Chelsea, I have been following them,' he said.

'I play together with Branislav in the national team and have spoken to him about Chelsea. The first time when I met him to play in the national team I asked a couple of questions,' Matic added.

He may be a relative unknown to Blues fans, so chelseafc.com asked the player to say a few words about himself.

'I am a solid midfield player, I have a lot to offer and for sure to progress and I will show everyone why I am at Chelsea,' he began.

'I am a central-midfielder, and I know I am not well known but I have physical power and I am quite a technical, left-footed player.

'Since the age of 18 I have been at Kosice, and before that I had played in the youth team of Red Star Belgrade.'

Matic, who is 6ft 4ins tall and also holds a Slovak passport, has been heavily trailed by other Premier League clubs, and actually spent some time on trial at Middlesbrough in January.

'I was there in the winter, when I came it was winter in the north of England so it was not very nice, but the squad was okay and I liked it,' he said.

Hopefully London will be a more hospitable destination, and while Matic does not yet speak English, having Ivanovic alongside, as well as other eastern European influences Andriy Shevchenko and Yuri Zhirkov, he is sure to settle quickly.

ChelseaFC.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No clear indication where in the midfield we can expect to see Matic competing! Defensive would have seemed the obvious option for us to bring in seeing as Mikel and Essien dissapear in January. But also we could do with someone who can play the top of the diamond too.....

One thing is for sure and that is it is always good for us to sign young players.

@esk

would have liked to see cork playing there :(

If he is a defensive midfielder then yes i agree. The difference with the defensive midfield position compared to others is that our regular player is also very young, and if we bring another defensive mid in from outside that is also young then it makes the chances of Cork comming through extremelty tough, although not impossible.

Interestingly though Jack Cork has still not gone out on loan, and i am sure there are many clubs interested in his service.

Still though it is still very good news that we have signed another youngster.

ive read that he doesn't need a work permit

Part Slovenian I think so doesn't need one.

Will most likely go into the Reserves, then in January get a few games with Mikel and Essien off at ACN, with hopefully if he's any good get some more games next season, when we hopefully shift out Deco and Ballack.

Post on another forum that I've seen about him.

He's quite a good player, seen him play a few times and I must say he's unpredictable. Half the time when he gets the ball he stops, looks around and passes but sometimes he just runs straight into it and starts running at the defence. He's a very tidy short range passer but his long range passing and throughballs are usually overhit. His dribbling is very close and gets past players with the smallest of touches.

Good technique, good footballing brain but his potential is very hard to judge. In my opinion he's better in the middle as a creative spark then a wide player.

Post I found on another forum about him.

Edited by Marc