Tactics vs Burnley

Ray.

OK, this is my next match that I will be attending which will be a home game. I know there are different Formations on the pitch. Regarding the Diamond Formation is that the most common set up on the pitch for most matches? Is it the most preferred by managers? The way I see it is and please correct me if i'm wrong is that the Diamond Formation consists of the following :-

2 Centre Backs or Centre Halves - namely JT and Carvalho

2 Full Backs or 1 left back and 1 right back - Ivanovic and Ashley Cole

4 Midfielders - Mikel, Essien, Lamps, and Essien

2 Centre Forwards (Strikers) - Drogba and Anelka

This is what I understand we had for the game against Hull and of course it may change for the Burnley game.

I think i'm correct in saying and again correct me if i'm wrong, the Centre Backs and Full Backs are essentially there to defend the goal. The midfielders are there to support the Centre Forwards (strikers/scorers) and one of them will provide extra protection to the defence. Again I know that the Strikers aren't the only ones that score, in effect anyone (apart from Petr Cech) can score is that correct?

I know Lamps has scored of many occasions and I think i'm correct that JT has too. Do some or all of the players ever switch roles?

Edited by Blueray

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've moved your topic, Raymond, so other people can comment on it.

Yes, the players do move around; often in fact. The 4-1-2-1-2 is a bit of a concrete system and doesn't allow much movement between the players, but you will often see the Lampards, Ballacks and Essiens of this world moving around and sometimes changing positions. A great example of players moving around between different positions is Michael Essien, who has played centre back, right back, defensive midfield, attacking midfield, right midfield and left midfield during his time at Stamford Bridge. During the 4-3-3 formation used in the past, our forward three of Anelka, Malouda and Drogba last season often changed positions. An example is the Fulham game at home we won 3-1 - all three of these players scored. Drogba moved out to the wing whilst Anelka came central, and at times, they'd change to have Malouda come inside from the wing and play behind two out and out strikers. You often see wingers changing flanks and midfielders sometimes can change their position - its very rare to see other players do so, however, unless instructed by the coach.

But regarding the goalscoring question; any player on the pitch is allowed to score a goal, but it is very uncommon for goalkeepers to do so. These goals by keepers tend to be long-range (such as Paul Robinson's versus Watford) or in the dying seconds of a game when a team is losing and the keeper comes up to attack a corner or freekick.

O< thanks Alex. I'm sure i'll have more questions for you. Can you recommend any good sites, DVD's that I can look at to mug up on the game in general. I've got a sort of novice guide to football that I'm reading, I just need something that's concise and straight to the point. I've had a look at talkfootball.co.uk which has given me some ideas.

O< thanks Alex. I'm sure i'll have more questions for you. Can you recommend any good sites, DVD's that I can look at to mug up on the game in general. I've got a sort of novice guide to football that I'm reading, I just need something that's concise and straight to the point. I've had a look at talkfootball.co.uk which has given me some ideas.

The best thing you can do is just watch a lot of matches. You'll understand the basics fast enough. As time goes on though you'll start to learn more specific details about the game.