Terry pledges future to Chelsea

Chelsea captain John Terry has finally ended his silence over speculation regarding a move to Manchester City and said he is staying at Stamford Bridge.

City have long been linked with the 28-year-old, amid reports that they were considering making a bid of up to £40m.

And while Chelsea always insisted they would not sell, the England skipper's silence only increased the speculation.

But Terry has now said: "I am totally committed to Chelsea, always have been. Me leaving was never a possibility."

The defender was wanted by City manager Mark Hughes as a key part of the Manchester club's recent revolution that has seen them spend £80m this summer on the likes of Emmanuel Adebayor, Carlos Tevez, Roque Santa Cruz and Gareth Barry.

And it was reported that Welshman Hughes, who was a team-mate of Terry's during his playing career at Stamford Bridge, was willing to pay the centre-half £200,000 a week to convince him to move to Eastlands.

But Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti said in his first media conference that he would not consider selling Terry, and the player himself has now moved to end the speculation "once and for all".

"When you are linked with any club, or with a manager who I have huge respect for, it will always make headlines," Terry added on the club website.

"But Chelsea have made it clear to me consistently that there was never any intention to accept any kind of offer.

"I know there has been comment that I should have made a statement earlier.

"However, throughout this period there have been numerous discussions between myself, the owner and the Chelsea board and we all agreed that the timing of any statement would suit everyone involved in those talks, not any outside influences or agendas."

Terry's announcement will come as a welcome relief to the Blues as they look to launch a renewed assault on domestic and European fronts in the new season.

Ancelotti is Chelsea's fifth manager in two years, a period that has seen them win just the FA Cup last season, and it was reported Terry wanted assurances from owner Roman Abramovich that the Londoners were still able to match his own ambitions.

It appears those assurances have been given, with Terry adding: "What is clear to me following those discussions is that Chelsea's ambition remains as high as ever. This has been further proved by the appointment of Carlo Ancelotti. I am certain he will take this club to the next level.

"Another important factor was knowing that Chelsea would be securing key current players for the long term. The strengthening of the squad around this core is crucial to pushing us on to greater success.

"I am as committed as ever to helping drive Chelsea forward and I will be proud to lead the team for as long as I can."

Terry has been with Chelsea since the age of 14 and has won two Premier League titles, four FA Cups, three League Cups and a Uefa Cup in the last 11 years, leading to his nickname of "Mr Chelsea".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...sea/8169536.stm

About time! :D

Edited by Akemisu

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Terry has released the following statement:

'There has been a lot of speculation recently about my future and I want to clear this up once and for all. I am totally committed to Chelsea and always have been. Chelsea have also made it clear to me consistently that there was never any intention to accept any kind of offer.

'When you are linked with any club, or with a manager who I have huge respect for, it will always make headlines but me leaving Chelsea was never a possibility.

'I know there has been comment that I should have made a statement earlier. However, throughout this period there have been numerous discussions between myself, the owner and the Chelsea Board and we all agreed that the timing of any statement would suit everyone involved in those talks, not any outside influences or agendas.

'What is clear to me following those discussions is that Chelsea's ambition remains as high as ever.This has been further proved by the appointment of Carlo Ancelotti. I am certain that he will take this club on to the next level.

'Another important factor was knowing that Chelsea would be securing key current players for the long term. The strengthening of the squad around this core is crucial to pushing us onto greater success.

'I am as committed as ever to helping drive Chelsea forward and I will be proud to lead the team for as long as I can.'

It took him long enough.........He should have came out with this weeks ago imo.

John Terry:

'I know there has been comment that I should have made a statement earlier. However, throughout this period there have been numerous discussions between myself, the owner and the Chelsea Board and we all agreed that the timing of any statement would suit everyone involved in those talks, not any outside influences or agendas.

It took him long enough.........He should have came out with this weeks ago imo.

He needed time to dicuss terms on his new contract which he will be signing next week that will make him the highest salary drawer long with Lamps. <_<

Glad, Kenyon didnt embarrass the club by coming up with "Chelsea are going to make an important announcement" suspense like he did last year in case of Lampard. :lol:

Never in doubt for me....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This has to be the best news this summer. Perhaps now the once respected tosser that is Mark Hughes will shut the fuck up and stop trying to steal our players. JT, our Captain, our legend, our hero.