23 Man Squad

I couldnt agree more with Mr Ancelotti that a 23 man squad is the way to go. I remember Jose having a similar philosophy, which is three goalkeepers and two quality players for every postion. It appears the 4-4-2 diamond will be the formation of preference for Carlo which seems to be working well. This means that players need to be let go as the squad shapes up. Below is how I would see the squad of the final 23 and where I feel we actually need to strengthen.

GK: Cech, Turnbull, Hilario

LB: Ashley Cole, Zhirkov

RB: Bosingwa, Ivanovic

CB: Terry, Alex, Carvalho, Mancienne

DM: Mikel, Belletti

LM: Malouda, Joe Cole

RM: Essien, Ballack

AM: Lampard, Deco

ST: Drogba, Anelka, Sturridge, Kalou

With this we can let go of Shevchenko, Pizzaro, Ferreira, Di Santo (loan) and Sinclair (loan)

This also puts some question marks over Deco and Kalou, if we want to bolster either the midfield or up front I feel we would need to sell them. So afterall we can have our big name signing either up front or in midfield or maybe even both and still have a nicely balanced squad.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That plan back fired on mourinho though injuries can destroy a squad like that.

Injuries can destroy any squad. fact is we can have 2 players for every position but in all honesty our players are so versatile they can play anywhere so we will always have cover. You can always keep a few younger players around as cover.

And by the way, it didnt work out for Jose because he didnt have two players for every position. He only had 3 centre backs, one of which was Bhoularouz and we all know how that ended. With the squad I have mentioned above, we actually have 5 players who can play at CB, Terry, Alex, Carvalho, Ivanovic and Mancienne.

Edited by Matterz

23 is the number that Scholari wanted and look what happened?

I think the current squad with Pizarro and Shevchenko out is pretty well.

We should not touch on other players... Kalou maybe but not MIKEL!

23 is the number that Scholari wanted and look what happened?

I think the current squad with Pizarro and Shevchenko out is pretty well.

We should not touch on other players... Kalou maybe but not MIKEL!

Again Scolari, just like Mourinho, didnt have the squad he wanted. Yes he wanted 23, but he also wanted Robinho which he didnt get, not did he get an alternative player. So again whether Mourinho or Scolari wanted 23 is irrellevant because neither had the squads they were looking for.

Besides that I think you are missing the point, our squad is so versatile our players can play anywhere which means we have more than enough cover in every position. The only signings that should come in should improve on what we already have. So if Deco leaves for example, we replace him with a better younger player ie. Sneijder or Van Der Vaart. Or if Kalou leaves, then we replace him with Aguero, Villa or Pato if at all possible. The key is really to get the replacement first before you sell your leftovers.

I don't think a 23 man squad is strong enough - when the African Cup of Nations comes, that number will be reduced to 19 - and three of them are goalkeepers, and that's only if there are no injuries in the squad elsewhere. When you consider there are 18 players in a match-day squad, and you only have 16 outfield players during this period as Drogba, Kalou, Mikel and Essien will be away on international duty. I don't think that's a big enough squad. All that needs to be done is for one of Shevchenko and Pizarro to be sold, and di Santo to be sent out on loan to an EPL club.

That way, we would have:

GK - Cech, Hilario, Turnbull

RB - Bosingwa, Ferreira, Belletti

CB - Terry, Mancienne, Carvalho, Ivanovic, Alex

LB - Ashley Cole

RM - Cole, Sinclair

CDM - Essien, Mikel

CAM - Ballack, Deco, Lampard

LM - Malouda, Zhirkov

CF - Drogba, Anelka, Sturridge, Pizarro/Shevchenko, Kalou

Which, imo, is adequate.

I don't think a 23 man squad is strong enough - when the African Cup of Nations comes, that number will be reduced to 19 - and three of them are goalkeepers, and that's only if there are no injuries in the squad elsewhere. When you consider there are 18 players in a match-day squad, and you only have 16 outfield players during this period as Drogba, Kalou, Mikel and Essien will be away on international duty. I don't think that's a big enough squad. All that needs to be done is for one of Shevchenko and Pizarro to be sold, and di Santo to be sent out on loan to an EPL club.

That way, we would have:

GK - Cech, Hilario, Turnbull

RB - Bosingwa, Ferreira, Belletti

CB - Terry, Mancienne, Carvalho, Ivanovic, Alex

LB - Ashley Cole

RM - Cole, Sinclair

CDM - Essien, Mikel

CAM - Ballack, Deco, Lampard

LM - Malouda, Zhirkov

CF - Drogba, Anelka, Sturridge, Pizarro/Shevchenko, Kalou

Which, imo, is adequate.

This is of course assuming we dont make any further signings? Maybe we should sell Kalou and replace him, bring down the number of African players we have? If that becomes the case then only 3 will leave and we wont have such a big headache. We could always sign someone or bring back one of our loan players in January though. Maybe 25 is magic number with players coming back from loan? I dont think we need more than 8 defenders, especially seeing as none of them are African and Belletti and Zhirkov can cover in both Midfield and Defence

wish we would sell kalou, he's an average player.

He reminds me a lot of Babel at Liverpool, came with high expectations but struggles to deliver, and occasionally shows glimpes of quality but never enough.

Again Scolari, just like Mourinho, didnt have the squad he wanted. Yes he wanted 23, but he also wanted Robinho which he didnt get, not did he get an alternative player. So again whether Mourinho or Scolari wanted 23 is irrellevant because neither had the squads they were looking for.

Besides that I think you are missing the point, our squad is so versatile our players can play anywhere which means we have more than enough cover in every position. The only signings that should come in should improve on what we already have. So if Deco leaves for example, we replace him with a better younger player ie. Sneijder or Van Der Vaart. Or if Kalou leaves, then we replace him with Aguero, Villa or Pato if at all possible. The key is really to get the replacement first before you sell your leftovers.

How am I missing the point? The players are versatile, but it doesn;t means they can excel in there. Look at BELLETI playing RM at against Spurs last season and he basically do not even have the pace, speed to fight Modric/Lennon.

Versatile players =/ winning matches =/ winning the leagues.

How am I missing the point? The players are versatile, but it doesn;t means they can excel in there. Look at BELLETI playing RM at against Spurs last season and he basically do not even have the pace, speed to fight Modric/Lennon.

Versatile players =/ winning matches =/ winning the leagues.

I never said they could excel in any position, what im saying is that should we have big injury issues we have more than enough players wo can provide cover.

i think we underrate Kalou

2007-2008 he made 24 apps and 11 Goals...

This season with ONLY 17 apps he made 10 Goals... hes a second striker with great skills and thechnique... i hope he doesn't leave and he gets our 2nd Striker... He just needs confidence that he will play than he will shine im sure...

Squad should be:

cech; turnbull; Rhis Taylor

Alex, Terry, Mancienne, Ivanovic, Ashley, Bos (Zhirkov BU)

DM: Mikel; Essien; Belleti BU

AM: Joey; Lamps; Deco; Tejera; Mellis

Wide Midfield: Joey; Malouda; Zhirkov, Kakuta, Sinclair, Stoch

Strikers: Drogs, Anelka, Kalou, Sturridge, Di Santo (Borrini)

This is my favourite Squad with our Players right now.

I never said they could excel in any position, what im saying is that should we have big injury issues we have more than enough players wo can provide cover.

If thats the case then we should just use a team of youngsters if you only want covers just for the sake of fielding a 11 XI.

For me we have one too many strikers, and Scott Sinclair is never going to get into this team with Malouda and Zhirkov also in his position. Mancienne has a good chance though. If we get rid of Pizarro and/or Shevchenko, then Sturridge and Di Santo will get look-ins, but for me I think we should keep one experienced back-up for striker.

As such, we could do with getting rid of one forward, but that's all I'd change, except for maybe letting Sinclair go somewhere where he will play.

GK: Cech, Turnball, Hilario

RB: Bosingwa (Ivanovic, Mancienne)

CB: Terry, Mancienne, Alex, Ivanovic

LB: Ashley Cole, Hutchinson, (Zirkov)

Midfielders: Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Mikel, Mellis, Belleti and Deco...?

Wingers: Malouda, Zirkov, Joe Cole, Sinclair

Strikers: Drogba, Anelka, Sturridge, Di Santo.

I see this as a 24 man squad or 25 man squad if we keep Deco, with Sinclair, Mancienne, Mellis and Hutchinson included. Hopefully they get to play games in Cups and some minutes in premier league.

We are bound to sell, Kalou, Carvalho, Pizzaro, Sheva....

The Back looks Solid, Midfield is over crowded as with the Diamond midfield, not many wingers will get to play a role. With two Strikers upfront, Dturridge and Di Santo will get more chances...