Drogba: I'm staying

Not sure if you heard the interview with Didier after the Inter game this morning, but when Drogba was asked if he will be at the club next season he said "of course." Ancelotti then suggest he is going to sign a new deal.

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba is set to sign a new three-year deal, according to Blues manager Carlo Ancelotti.

The 31-year-old scored the first goal in a 2-0 friendly win against Inter Milan in the United States on Tuesday.

"Drogba is a very important player for us and we want him to play for Chelsea," said Ancelotti.

"He's irreplaceable, as no other striker in the world can do the same job. I've spoken with Drogba and he's told me he's happy to stay."

The Ivorian forward, who has scored 94 goals in 216 games for Chelsea, notched the first goal against the Italian champions after only 11 minutes of their World Football Challenge match at the Pasadena Rose Bowl in Los Angeles.

He received a pass from Frank Lampard with his back to goal and turned and fired home from 20 yards. Lampard added the second from the penalty spot just after half-time as Chelsea dominated in front of 81,244 spectators.

The new deal would extend Drogba's stay in west London to 2012 and after the game he reiterated the players' belief that Chelsea captain John Terry, who is being targeted by Manchester City, would also stay at Stamford Bridge.

"He's our captain and we need him and we know he's going to stay with us and win more trophies," Drogba told ESPN.

However, one player who looks set to be leaving Chelsea is Ukrainian striker Andriy Shevchenko.

The 32-year-old has one-year left on his contract but Ancelotti stated: "I speak to Shevchenko every day and the situation is this: he's with us until 31 August and then, together, we will make a decision.

"But I don't know what will happen as the club has not received any offers."

Shevchenko cost Chelsea a club record £30.8m when he was signed in 2006 from AC Milan, where he returned last summer for a season-long loan deal.

Ancelotti believes he has already found a replacement for Shevchenko in the form of Daniel Sturridge, who scored in his first Chelsea game, against Seattle Sounders, on Saturday.

The 19-year-old joined the Blues earlier this month from Manchester City and a transfer tribunal will decide the fee.

"He has good quality and we expect him to have a good season," added Ancelotti.

"To score a goal in his first game is good for him and for us. He has a lot of quality as a striker who is quick and intelligent with his movement for others - I like that.

"He's not a star. He's a very good young player and we believe in young players at this club. He will be in the first team this season."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only worry about this was my only worry before last year and before the year of that.

I hope that DD continues to stay in as good shape this season as he was towards the middle-end of last season. When in shape, the man can produce at levels that will get us a title. When he isn't, I think we all suffer a bit offensively.

Drogba set to sign new Blues deal

_46097091_drogba226.jpg Drogba celebrates scoring against Inter Milan with Salomon Kalou Chelsea striker Didier Drogba is set to sign a new three-year deal, according to Blues manager Carlo Ancelotti.

The 31-year-old scored the first goal in a 2-0 friendly win against Inter Milan in the United States on Tuesday.

"Drogba is a very important player for us and we want him to play for Chelsea," said Ancelotti.

"He's irreplaceable, as no other striker in the world can do the same job. I've spoken with Drogba and he's told me he's happy to stay."

The Ivorian forward, who has scored 94 goals in 216 games for Chelsea, notched the first goal against the Italian champions after only 11 minutes of their World Football Challenge match at the Pasadena Rose Bowl in Los Angeles.

He received a pass from Frank Lampard with his back to goal and turned and fired home from 20 yards. Lampard added the second from the penalty spot just after half-time as Chelsea dominated in front of 81,244 spectators.

The new deal would extend Drogba's stay in west London to 2012 and after the game he reiterated the players' belief that Chelsea captain John Terry, who is being targeted by Manchester City, would also stay at Stamford Bridge.

"He's our captain and we need him and we know he's going to stay with us and win more trophies," Drogba told ESPN.

However, one player who looks set to be leaving Chelsea is Ukrainian striker Andriy Shevchenko.

o.gif

The 32-year-old has one-year left on his contract but Ancelotti stated: "I speak to Shevchenko every day and the situation is this: he's with us until 31 August and then, together, we will make a decision.

"But I don't know what will happen as the club has not received any offers."

Shevchenko cost Chelsea a club record £30.8m when he was signed in 2006 from AC Milan, where he returned last summer for a season-long loan deal.

Ancelotti believes he has already found a replacement for Shevchenko in the form of Daniel Sturridge, who scored in his first Chelsea game, against Seattle Sounders, on Saturday.

The 19-year-old joined the Blues earlier this month from Manchester City and a transfer tribunal will decide the fee.

"He has good quality and we expect him to have a good season," added Ancelotti.

"To score a goal in his first game is good for him and for us. He has a lot of quality as a striker who is quick and intelligent with his movement for others - I like that.

"He's not a star. He's a very good young player and we believe in young players at this club. He will be in the first team this season.

Source: BBC Sport

I cant wait to watch Drogba Anelka pair upfront. Somehow I get the feeling this season, Drogba will have his Best season with Chelsea.

Remember? Last time he had his best season was in a diamond formation with two strikers upfront playing with a nonperforming Sheva.

Edited by warnie_666

I cant wait to watch Drogba Anelka pair upfront. Somehow I get the feeling this season, Drogba will have his Best season with Chelsea.

Remember? Last time he had his best season was in a diamond formation with two strikers upfront playing with a nonperforming Sheva.

I dont think so, its an africans nation cup season.

I love Drogba but he is very frustrating. With his injuries, easy to fall to the ground attitude, and his inability to show up for some matches. Hopefully he scores 20+ for next season, but chances are he wont with the ACN and all.c