Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Smith In Dark Over Canaries Future

On-loan Norwich midfielder Jimmy Smith has admitted he is in the dark over his future at Carrow Road - but would "love to stay longer".The 20-year-old is set to return to Chelsea in the New Year and has yet to hear whether he will be allowed to stay on with the Canaries. He told the club's official website: "I'm enjoying my time at Norwich at the moment and I'd love to stay longer. "I was told I was meant to be going back in the New Year because of the African Nations Cup so I'll have to see what happens. "But I've enjoyed my time here and if I was to stay I'd be really happy. "My main position is in the centre of midfield and hopefully if I can impress the gaffer in training I might get my chance."Source: Teamtalk

<h3 class="headline" id="headline">SMITH UNCERTAIN OVER CITY FUTURE </h3>Posted on: Thu 13 Dec 2007JIMMY Smith today joined the ranks of City loan players eager to extend their stay at Carrow Road. As things stand, midfielder Smith is set to return to Chelsea in the New Year to assist the Londoners when they lose a number of their stars to the African Nations Cup. But the 20-year-old said he would welcome an extension to the deal if it meant a better chance of first team football. Smith's interest in staying with the Canaries comes a week after fellow loan player Matthew Pattison, who currently belongs to Newcastle, said he was keen on a permanent move in January. And with boss Glenn Roeder keen to extend the stays of Birmingham's Martin Taylor, Manchester City's Ched Evans and Derby County's Mo Camara, Smith could be one of many opting for a longer spell in Norfolk. "I've not heard anything yet," said Smith, who admitted his immediate future was still very much up in the air. "I'm enjoying my time at Norwich at the moment and I'd love to stay longer. But I was told I was meant to be going back because of the African Nations Cup. I'll have to see what happens, but I've enjoyed my time here and if I was to stay I'd be really happy." And Smith did not think the departure of Jose Mourinho and the arrival of Avram Grant in the Stamford Bridge hot-seat would make too much difference to where he was playing his football come January. "As far as I've been told I don't think so," he added. "The plan was for me and a couple of others to be coming back over that period of time but, like I said, we'll just have to wait and see. But I'm not bothered where I go, I just want to be playing football." Smith has been limited to just three starts with the Canaries since making the summer switch. And ankle ligament injury suffered during the pre-season tour of Holland put the Chelsea reserve team captain out of action until the end of October, with Smith only forcing himself into contention for a regular first team slot in recent weeks. "I'm glad to have my full fitness back now and I know I've just got to keep working hard in training to impress the gaffer and be playing every week," said Smith. "It's hard. You don't really enjoy it when you're on the touchline watching the game. It's really frustrating for me as a player because I'm the sort of person who doesn't like to be on the touchline watching. I always want to be involved. But it's good to be back now. I've just got to keep working hard and improving my game after training too to impress the gaffer." Even when Smith has played, he has found himself occupying a more unusual role on the right side of midfield. The form of Darel Russell, Mark Fotheringham and Matthew Pattison has meant little room in the heart of midfield for Smith, who enjoyed a successful loan spell at QPR last season. And he admitted he would like to play in central midfield in an idea world. "That's what I prefer really, to be in the middle," he said. "I feel that my game is about creating, not always about being wide and trying to take someone on. But I've done it for the team and that's what comes first really. I've enjoyed being there, and I'll play anywhere if it means I'm in the starting 11. But my main position is in the centre of midfield and hopefully if I can impress the gaffer in training I might get my chance in the centre of midfield one day."

I find it really unlikely we'll keep him for cover for the African Nations, as from what I've heard he's not good enough.
Pretty much. He was excellant for the reserves, then when he went to QPR he was fantastic to start with then he completely faded and couldn't get into their team, then he got the bad injury this season. I don't think we willl bring him back for cover but i do think they will give him more time before deciding if to keep him on or not.